Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

On 2/12/2020 at 2:56 PM, HankStrong said:

I don't know much about Orlando Executive.  Could someone tell a layperson what these 2 planes a day do?  What is being referred to as Area 51 in this context?

30 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Can't read it.

Where is it physically going to be?

It appears it was already built? News to me since I don't use the South entrance. Honestly, to really help the tourists, it should be at the North entrance. 

On 2/13/2020 at 7:40 AM, HankStrong said:

I was totally confused.  I thought those two 737s were flying in and out of Orlando Executive.  You meant the REAL Area 51 and Vegas.  I was lost.

I couldn't even figure out how that was possible.

I was trying to figure out what extra passengers would be added to MCO's numbers if Orlando Exec's numbers and MCO gen av were added to MCO's overall passenger numbers b/c of how McCarren reports it's passenger count.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

This is great news for the region’s visitors. It’s always been a bit of a head-scratcher that OIA didn’t have an on-property fueling station yet they’re commonplace at many major airports elsewhere in the US.

My business travel takes me to the same 2-3 cities and all of them have gas stations right across from the rental car returns. It’s a huge convenience!

Plus those stations on Semoran that price gouge make me so mad.

I bet you they're not as bad in the price gouge game than that Shell near Orlando Premium and Mary Queen near 535.

20200214_114212.png

Edited by jrs2

7 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I was trying to figure out what extra passengers would be added to MCO's numbers if Orlando Exec's numbers and MCO gen av were added to MCO's overall passenger numbers b/c of how McCarren reports it's passenger count.

Don’t forget Kissimmee also has a general aviation field which picks up a good amount of traffic as the closest airport to WDW.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I bet you they're not as bad in the price gouge game than that Shell near Orlando Premium and Mary Queen near 535.

20200214_114212.png

That’s absurd given how even the Speedways on Disney property have a relatively small markup. But then it amazes me how many people will go to a station right across the street from another that’s a dime a gallon cheaper. Even in my Focus that’s an extra buck; in one of the land yacht SUV’s that could be enough to pay for your Egg McMuffin. Maybe I’m just cheap.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

That’s absurd given how even the Speedways on Disney property have a relatively small markup. But then it amazes me how many people will go to a station right across the street from another that’s a dime a gallon higher. Even in my Focus that’s an extra buck; in one of the land yacht SUV’s that could be enough to pay for your Egg McMuffin. Maybe I’m just cheap.

My wife said that about the Foxtail Mobil station when Wawa and 7/11 on Curry Ford are 20/30 cents cheaper.

Then there's this Mobil on SR 535 outside Disney

image.thumb.png.87c38a40fa3eb8621d4af18b5ecff7f4.png

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 1:49 PM, spenser1058 said:

Hey, we got class! OIA is eyeing a $5 million sculpture for the new terminal:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-orlando-airport-5million-for-art-20200214-bocl3xa6xnbbfnozgmmgqfne7m-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Is the Sentinel unabashedly doctoring their photos?  That view of downtown isn't possible from the airport...

• Like 2

On 2/16/2020 at 12:49 AM, uncreativeusername said:

Is the Sentinel unabashedly doctoring their photos?  That view of downtown isn't possible from the airport...

lol.  sure it is.  MCO is south and east from downtown.  that perspective is south and east from downtown.  And, when you zoom in, the backdrop looks much larger. 

You should see pictures of downtown Chicago from O'Hare that are zoomed in like that.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

lol.  sure it is.  MCO is south and east from downtown.  that perspective is south and east from downtown.  And, when you zoom in, the backdrop looks much larger. 

You should see pictures of downtown Chicago from O'Hare that are zoomed in like that.

^I live in Chicago, and I have, but I can also see the skyline from O'Hare in person, so that is conceivable to me.  

I agree that the direction lines up, but my brain can't reconcile how it looks like a view of the skyline from essentially Delaney Park.

I suppose this is a trigonometry question (which I most certainly am incapable of answering, haha)from what vantage point could a foreground object of 40' (height of a 737) appear to be just under half the height of a 440' building that is 9 miles away...

My brain is melting, somebody save me! 

AGH.jpg

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, uncreativeusername said:

^I live in Chicago, and I have, but I can also see the skyline from O'Hare in person, so that is conceivable to me.  

I agree that the direction lines up, but my brain can't reconcile how it looks like a view of the skyline from essentially Delaney Park.

I suppose this is a trigonometry question (which I most certainly am incapable of answering, haha)from what vantage point could a foreground object of 40' (height of a 737) appear to be just under half the height of a 440' building that is 9 miles away...

My brain is melting, somebody save me! 

Here you go!

https://www.findingtheuniverse.com/lens-compression-in-photography-how-changing-focal-length-changes-the-photo/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smileguy said:

Construction update on Terminal C - video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVYLN4YTCf0 

fantastic!

You know...one of the things I've noticed right off the bat with this new terminal is how tall it is; completely unlike what's at OIA already.  It's massive.  I think the newer AA terminal at MIA is also tall like that; they had a Lufthansa A-380 parked there several years back and the terminal was in the background and it's height dwarfed that plane.

• 1 month later...