Metro Orlando Airport News

On 8/29/2020 at 12:52 PM, spenser1058 said:

A UCF campus at MCO?

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/08/19/ucf-high-tech-campus-orlando-international-airport.html

From OBJ (paywall)

I’d like to see a West Orange campus near the Webster.

they pulled out of Neocity earlier this year.  Neocity is, of course, in Osceola, while MCO is in Orange (as is UCF's main campus). Interesting dynamic.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some photos of the intermodal train facility 

BOOM! Joined the 50 plus million club. 12 month rolling calendar through October 50,155,834 passengers. Still have another 2 months of data left. Should finish the year between 50.5 million and 51 mil

Intermodal Center.  They've opened up a couple of entrances into that thing; one where the cell phone lot is, and one farther north.  I love the green glass.

Posted Images

Here’s a stat you won’t likely see again soon - in August, DAB was Florida’s busiest airport. Who knew?

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/business/travel/2020/09/25/faa-ranks-daytona-airport-busiest-in-florida-for-first-time-passenger-traffic-up-4th-month-in-row/5851402002/

From The News-Journal 

2 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Orlando Melbourne Airport voted most scenic in America:

https://www.melbourneflorida.org/Home/Components/News/News/7384/381

Didn't see that coming. Anybody flown in or out of there? Cheers.

p.s. apologies if this off topic.

In 2015 I had to get over to Central Brevard County to pick up a car I was buying. I didn't have a ride and of course, had I driven my truck over, I wouldn't have had anyone to drive it back. So I took a Lynx bus to the Greyhound station,  bought a ticket to the Melbourne Greyhound station, which happens to be at the airport, and rode over there, whereupon I caught a local metro bus up to near where I was going.

I walked through the terminal far enough to get to the metro bus pick up & drop off area and saw nothing extraordinary or scenic or even above average about it.

Maybe if I had walked around it more.

I would think that Google Images or YouTube would have some imagery.

From 2017....

Personally, I don't see what the BFD is.

16 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Orlando Melbourne Airport voted most scenic in America:

https://www.melbourneflorida.org/Home/Components/News/News/7384/381

Didn't see that coming. Anybody flown in or out of there? Cheers.

p.s. apologies if this off topic.

I’d give this honor to Denver with its spectacular background of the Rockies, Or Newark International, withs incredible NYC skyline views. Both airports have always made mundane layovers more enjoyable.

22 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I’d give this honor to Denver with its spectacular background of the Rockies, Or Newark International, withs incredible NYC skyline views. Both airports have always made mundane layovers more enjoyable.

Looks like the actual prize is most scenic approach for private planes, and they're crediting KSC and the beach as the reasons for the award. I still think there are better, including the two you cite and Seattle, Hawaii, etc.  Someone should let these other airports know so they can nominate themselves next year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In the midst of the pandemic, it seems OIA came in as the 8th busiest US airport in August:

https://www.positivelyosceola.com/orlando-international-airport-sees-traffic-increase-in-august-still-sharply-down-from-2019/

From Positively Osceola 

wow. just behind Phoenix and Atlanta.  Hartsfield used to be over 110M passengers (mostly connecting flights).  Now, without those incredible numbers from Delta, they're falling into line with a lot of O&D airports' numbers.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I believe the traffic is going to bounce back a heck of a lot sooner than their projections. In fact, their projections were already blown out of the water. Is it too late to put phase 1A back on the table? 

• Like 3
On 1/6/2021 at 2:17 PM, smileguy said:

wow.  impressive.  how is MCO with mostly O&D flights busier than Hartsfield, LAX, O'Hare, Denver, even McCarren during this period?  I can see JFK because NYC is pretty much shut down.  LAX perhaps b/c of CA being mostly shut down.  O'Hare for similar reasons.  Vegas though?  Even DFW in TX? 

Everyone on these boards should "like" this post because this news means that the good management of MCO is making it known that OIA and Orlando/ Disney/Universal is/are open for business.   Florida can really take advantage of this lockdown situation and get a leg up on these other markets if they can maintain efficiency with the covid protocols, etc., and keep risks low.

Not to bring up politics, but, just as a reminder, per this last election, CA, CO (Denver Intl), Nevada, Illinois, New York, and GA all went blue.  Florida is a red state and is open for business.  Like it or not to anyone on these boards that is politically biased towards party ideology, MCO is benefiting from this big time.  And based on the fact that only 2 people "liked" this post, myself and Spencer, either everyone else missed this post altogether, just doesn't care, or, they want DeSantis' policies to fail to prove his ideology wrong and theirs right.  I recall general dislike a couple of years back when a majority of this forum frowned on talk of CA's failure with HSR; apples and oranges, but I see a potentially similar trend here,  Hopefully I'm wrong on this observation.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Norwegian Air giving up long-haul flights to exit insolvency:

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2021-01-14/norwegian-gives-up-long-haul-flying-in-plan-to-exit-insolvency?__twitter_impression=true

From Bloomberg 

In Florida, this will affect flights at MCO and FLL.

Wow that's disappointing.  They were my favorite airline for sub $400 round trip tickets to Europe.

• Like 1

Yeah, once had roundtrip non-stop to Oslo for $199.

BTW, Here are pictures from Terminal C

Skywalk from Parking to APM lobby and APM lobby.  This is currently used for employee parking.

image.png.72c702f092df82e25e0a258a9af69d3d.png

image.png.7a5a286348b49359449b31064a7cf9b1.png

Edited by FLheat
  • Like 3

So I hear today that there are a lot of people flying into OIA and the rest of Florida to get covid vaccines from up north because their respective states don't have their acts together.  This is aiding MCO's good numbers.  Like it or not to anyone who sees politics in this statement, it is what it is.