Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

• 4 weeks later...

Passenger traffic already 90% 2019 memorial day. KLM just announced direct flights to Amsterdam this fall. Gonna say it again, the airport messed up with delaying phase 1A expansion. They based it off crazy projections that wouldn't have us fully recover traffic until 2025-26

• Like 4

After years of lawsuits and the lawyers no doubt making lots of $$$$ at the expense of everyday folks, GOAA and the MAA have settled.

What was Orlando Melbourne International Airport (although the two cities are about 75 miles apart) will now be the Melbourne Orlando International Airport.

Everybody clear on that?

https://amp.floridatoday.com/amp/5279074001

From Florida Today 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

After years of lawsuits and the lawyers no doubt making lots of $$$$ at the expense of everyday folks, GOAA and the MAA have settled.

What was Orlando Melbourne International Airport (although the two cities are about 75 miles apart) will now be the Melbourne Orlando International Airport.

Everybody clear on that?

https://amp.floridatoday.com/amp/5279074001

From Florida Today 

Traffic for the six-day Memorial Day holiday was up 550% at OIA (over last year). Ummm, let’s just go with WOW.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/travel-at-orlando-international-airport-up-550-this-holiday-weekend.amp

From FOX 35

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 3:00 PM, AmIReal said:

Amazing. I feel Amazon has been a destructive force, but they sure are good at what they do.

Amazon is a retail cancer.  But, they are a forum for so many off brands especially with electronics peripherals sometimes or most the time they are the only option.

I still buy at Worst Buy whenever they can price match Amazon.

On 4/26/2021 at 8:04 AM, codypet said:

Wonder how much of that had to do with our relatively loose shut down compared to other states/countries.

that's right; at one point OIA was the busiest airport in the country in 2020 because of that; it just took some time to normalize...

On 4/22/2021 at 11:11 AM, shardoon said:

Frontier continue to expand in MCO. Adding St Maarten and Costa Rica flights. We potentially will be full hubs / focus cities for Frontier, Jetblue, Southwest, and Spirit. 

I flew out of MCO last week and they were busy as heck. Like I said before, I am upset that they suspended the phase 1A expansion of the South terminal. However, interestingly enough, when taxiing by the South Terminal, it appears that they have the concrete structures for each gate all built up  for the 1A expansion (kind of like elevator shafts built first on a wooden apartment building).  Are they simply going to leave it looking like an unfinished building construction site? That will look horrible. 

you can see that from Google satellite view.   I think they're gonna move forward with that expansion (1A) soon after the terminal opens.

I drove through the Intermodal Building and when entering you see the new terminal off to the right and the terminal it tall; it is high up off the ground from there.  It looks massive (and is) as a result.  I remember when they were building up the  gate areas, they looked like 5-7 story buildings dotting the site.  This landside is very tall.  The airside buildings are giant (like the MIA terminal for AA); MCO's terminal 1-4 airsides' relative heights are very short compared to this, especially Airsides 1 & 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed to Canada, eh? Been dying to check out PM Justin’s latest funky pair of socks?

Well, ultra-low-cost carrier Swoop will have several flights from Orlando Sanford International beginning this fall (they get to keep Orlando at the front - take that, Melbourne!)

Anyway, there will be flights to Toronto, Hamilton (ON) and Edmonton so make your plans now.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/06/16/airport-lands-new-international-flights.html?ana=maz

From OBJ 

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2021 at 2:50 PM, spenser1058 said:

Headed to Canada, eh? Been dying to check out PM Justin’s latest funky pair of socks?

Well, ultra-low-cost carrier Swoop will have several flights from Orlando Sanford International beginning this fall (they get to keep Orlando at the front - take that, Melbourne!)

Anyway, there will be flights to Toronto, Hamilton (ON) and Edmonton so make your plans now.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/06/16/airport-lands-new-international-flights.html?ana=maz

From OBJ 

Oh another Canadian airline serving MCO (joining parent airline Westjet and Air Canada), that’s exciting. They also win the livery game in my book. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e2572830dd0642a3020048b61fd1716b.jpeg

Edited by sethM

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 12:41 PM, shardoon said:

Parking is a huge problem at the airport. I would love to be able to park in Terminal C, but they closed it and made it an employee parking garage. I think they need to open it up and fast...... I travel again this Thursday. 

Why drive? Take the 18 from downtown right to the counter. You'll be the only person on it. Trust me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:33 AM, spenser1058 said:

MLB is adding nonstop flights on Allegiant to Pittsburgh, Nashville and Concord, NC in November:

https://www.hometownnewsbrevard.com/news/allegiant-offers-new-service-from-mlb-with-fares-as-low-as-39/article_568460da-df18-11eb-9c32-6392a16ef244.html

From Hometown News Brevard

interesting.  MLB seems to be getting some traction...I wonder if it will become a legit competitor to OSI...

I can't believe nobody "liked" my photo of the south terminal complex above.  I was on the 8th parking level ignoring "garage level is full" signs to get that shot...

man, this is a tough crowd...lol...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jrs2 said:

interesting.  MLB seems to be getting some traction...I wonder if it will become a legit competitor to OSI...

I can't believe nobody "liked" my photo of the south terminal complex above.  I was on the 8th parking level ignoring "garage level is full" signs to get that shot...

MLB is likely on the come up with the influx of space and defense workers living in Brevard. I doubt it’ll get that big but I know a lot of the folks I work with like flying from there. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Largest single day announcement of new flights. We are now officially Fronteir's largest Hub.  17 new destinations added. A ton in the Caribbean. We need that new terminal open asap and we need to restart building the half finished portion. 

OMG.  I thought their big hub was Denver.  Wow.

On 7/12/2021 at 2:04 PM, jrs2 said:

Well, after looking at my photo yet again...it did kinda suck and was rushed...but it was unique!

• Like 2