Jump to content

Metro Orlando Airport News


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, codypet said:

@jrs2Channel 9 did a story on this a couple of days ago and they keep following up on it.  Apparently having to do with Florida's lax rules related to getting a vaccine.  Some people coming in so far as Canada to get a vaccine. Link to the article

Typical. Letting the tourists come first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some photos of the intermodal train facility 

BOOM! Joined the 50 plus million club. 12 month rolling calendar through October 50,155,834 passengers. Still have another 2 months of data left. Should finish the year between 50.5 million and 51 mil

Intermodal Center.  They've opened up a couple of entrances into that thing; one where the cell phone lot is, and one farther north.  I love the green glass.

Posted Images

On 1/15/2021 at 7:40 PM, spenser1058 said:

Typical. Letting the tourists come first.

At face value, it seems pretty bad. To be fair I wouldn't consider them "tourists" per se, because they have the legal status to travel, quarantine on each side per the guidelines and remain here long enough to receive the 2nd dose. IMO, if they own property here, pay taxes and are legal residents then I don't see the problem.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-snowbirds-covid-19-vaccine-florida-1.5877867

"He said he also believes that reports of Canadians flocking to the state to get the vaccine are overblown, because there are plenty of hurdles. On top of securing a vaccine appointment, you must test negative for COVID-19 before travelling to Florida (effective Jan. 26); stay in Florida for up to a month to get the second dose; receive another negative COVID-19 test before returning to Canada; and quarantine for 14 days upon your return."

Edited by nite owℓ
Link to post
Share on other sites

Orlando Executive (ORL) had one of its busiest years despite Covid. Or did it... "Because of COVID-19 safety protocols, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reduced Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) operating hours, which affected a comprehensive tally of overall activity. During the hours the FAA did not staff the tower, ORL staff provided the activity data. As a result, there is a variance between the official stats showing an overall decrease compared to 2019 and the unofficial count showing a nearly double-digit increase."

I don't understand- either you're up or you're down, but how can you be both? Maybe someone here can better explain it.

Also, the article mentions development of surrounding property and mentions the SE edge, where the Expressway Authority is.

https://ftnnews.com/aviation/41113-orlando-executive-airport-celebrates-impressive-activity-in-2020

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they inferring that GOAA padded the numbers?

Quote

The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority (GOAA) is currently in the process of exploring areas of potential development on ORL property. The Authority is in negotiations with firms to take over management of Colonial Promenade. The mall, located between the airport and Colonial Drive, has undergone substantial renovation in the past year and has 17 build-to-suit units available for lease. Revenues generated from this and other GOAA-owned properties in the area help fund ORL activities.

That place has been renovated in the last year?  It looks worse than its ever looked.

Quote

In addition, the Authority is looking to develop property in ORL’s southeast quadrant. The 12-acre parcel near the intersection of S.R. 408 and Andes Avenue offers a central location with access to major interstates. Under consideration is the construction of a warehouse distribution center that would service ground transportation of goods for transfer to area businesses.

May I recommend, Giant Mulch Pile?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Orlando Executive (ORL) had one of its busiest years despite Covid. Or did it... "Because of COVID-19 safety protocols, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reduced Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) operating hours, which affected a comprehensive tally of overall activity. During the hours the FAA did not staff the tower, ORL staff provided the activity data. As a result, there is a variance between the official stats showing an overall decrease compared to 2019 and the unofficial count showing a nearly double-digit increase."

I don't understand- either you're up or you're down, but how can you be both? Maybe someone here can better explain it.

Also, the article mentions development of surrounding property and mentions the SE edge, where the Expressway Authority is.

https://ftnnews.com/aviation/41113-orlando-executive-airport-celebrates-impressive-activity-in-2020

Looks like the FAA only counts traffic when the tower is staffed assuming no one is flying when its closed. This year, there must have been many flights outside of the window of the tower being staffed. They should look at total activity for real numbers but since they have never down that, it will be hard to compare. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Spirit is adding nonstop service to Louisville and direct service to Milwaukee from MCO:


Spirit Airlines adding Orlando routes, expecting surge in summer travel
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-spirit-airline-poised-for-rebound-20210226-blz265nn3jcebe2zboqk2gdwmi-story.html

From The Sentinel 
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, shardoon said:

Anybody have inside news about lounges in the South Terminal? Centurion?

It’d made sense to have another Club at MCO location, they seem to be very successful with their two current lounges. 

I doubt Amex would target MCO with a new lounge, I’m just not sure where they could build and have it make sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frontier continue to expand in MCO. Adding St Maarten and Costa Rica flights. We potentially will be full hubs / focus cities for Frontier, Jetblue, Southwest, and Spirit. 

I flew out of MCO last week and they were busy as heck. Like I said before, I am upset that they suspended the phase 1A expansion of the South terminal. However, interestingly enough, when taxiing by the South Terminal, it appears that they have the concrete structures for each gate all built up  for the 1A expansion (kind of like elevator shafts built first on a wooden apartment building).  Are they simply going to leave it looking like an unfinished building construction site? That will look horrible. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well. Passenger traffic may have declined in 2020 at OIA but our rankings still managed to increase. Who knew?

We moved up to #26 busiest in the (from 31) world and #8 in the US (from tenth). Woohoo!

Sorry for no link. I was waiting for Neo to do his thing with updates and it went away overnight, I’m trying to find it again.

 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Passenger traffic already 90% 2019 memorial day. KLM just announced direct flights to Amsterdam this fall. Gonna say it again, the airport messed up with delaying phase 1A expansion. They based it off crazy projections that wouldn't have us fully recover traffic until 2025-26

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

After years of lawsuits and the lawyers no doubt making lots of $$$$ at the expense of everyday folks, GOAA and the MAA have settled.

What was Orlando Melbourne International Airport (although the two cities are about 75 miles apart) will now be the Melbourne Orlando International Airport.

Everybody clear on that?

https://amp.floridatoday.com/amp/5279074001

From Florida Today 
 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

After years of lawsuits and the lawyers no doubt making lots of $$$$ at the expense of everyday folks, GOAA and the MAA have settled.

What was Orlando Melbourne International Airport (although the two cities are about 75 miles apart) will now be the Melbourne Orlando International Airport.

Everybody clear on that?

https://amp.floridatoday.com/amp/5279074001

From Florida Today 
 

Traffic for the six-day Memorial Day holiday was up 550% at OIA (over last year). Ummm, let’s just go with WOW.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/travel-at-orlando-international-airport-up-550-this-holiday-weekend.amp

From FOX 35
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 4:27 PM, smileguy said:

I recently watched this explainer about Amazon's air distribution, and find it fascinating.

Amazing. I feel Amazon has been a destructive force, but they sure are good at what they do.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2021 at 3:00 PM, AmIReal said:

Amazing. I feel Amazon has been a destructive force, but they sure are good at what they do.

Amazon is a retail cancer.  But, they are a forum for so many off brands especially with electronics peripherals sometimes or most the time they are the only option.

I still buy at Worst Buy whenever they can price match Amazon.

On 4/26/2021 at 8:04 AM, codypet said:

Wonder how much of that had to do with our relatively loose shut down compared to other states/countries.

that's right; at one point OIA was the busiest airport in the country in 2020 because of that; it just took some time to normalize...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2021 at 11:11 AM, shardoon said:

Frontier continue to expand in MCO. Adding St Maarten and Costa Rica flights. We potentially will be full hubs / focus cities for Frontier, Jetblue, Southwest, and Spirit. 

I flew out of MCO last week and they were busy as heck. Like I said before, I am upset that they suspended the phase 1A expansion of the South terminal. However, interestingly enough, when taxiing by the South Terminal, it appears that they have the concrete structures for each gate all built up  for the 1A expansion (kind of like elevator shafts built first on a wooden apartment building).  Are they simply going to leave it looking like an unfinished building construction site? That will look horrible. 

you can see that from Google satellite view.   I think they're gonna move forward with that expansion (1A) soon after the terminal opens.

I drove through the Intermodal Building and when entering you see the new terminal off to the right and the terminal it tall; it is high up off the ground from there.  It looks massive (and is) as a result.  I remember when they were building up the  gate areas, they looked like 5-7 story buildings dotting the site.  This landside is very tall.  The airside buildings are giant (like the MIA terminal for AA); MCO's terminal 1-4 airsides' relative heights are very short compared to this, especially Airsides 1 & 3.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.