Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

21 hours ago, Thatguywhotravels said:

I didn't see it posted on here already, but the new garage at Terminal C is open to the public again, with daily rates about a dollar less than the A and B garages. 

Incidentally, I have to say from walking around the intermodal transit center and looking at the concept art of the airline terminal the new South terminal complex doesn't feel overly... new. It looks like it was designed in the 90's or early 2000's with the architectural flair of a public K-12 school or hospital. Seas of undecorated white drywall, 90's mall style skylights, an early 2000's white/almond color scheme, and building materials and finishes I haven't seen in a new building in 20 years... If it weren't still a construction zone you'd probably think it was built at the turn of the century or earlier. I realize this is a massive and very expensive project as is, but considering this is basically the future of the airport that talks so much of the "Orlando Experience" and will be visitors' first impression of the tourism capital of the world for decades to come you'd think they would try to make it look a little less utilitarian. 

Totally agree. When I went through when it first opened, I thought it gave a 90's mall vibe with the color scheme and decor, right down to the cheesy potted plants.  I will say the People Mover area with the escalators/glass/high ceilings was cool and the People Mover itself was pretty cool. 

• 5 weeks later...

Granted, the pandemic still is playing a role with these numbers...... but the future is bright for MCO. These numbers will continue to be strong and tourism is set to break records in the coming years, especially with all the new Disney and Universal construction. I did not expect world wide top 10 in passenger numbers........

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/11/worlds-busiest-airport-rankings-dominated-by-us-cities-in-pandemic-travel-shift.html

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Granted, the pandemic still is playing a role with these numbers...... but the future is bright for MCO. These numbers will continue to be strong and tourism is set to break records in the coming years, especially with all the new Disney and Universal construction. I did not expect world wide top 10 in passenger numbers........

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/11/worlds-busiest-airport-rankings-dominated-by-us-cities-in-pandemic-travel-shift.html

I didn’t know they finally got Pat McCarran’s name off the Las Vegas airport - he was a bit of a wackadoodle.

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I didn’t know they finally got Pat McCarran’s name off the Las Vegas airport - he was a bit of a wackadoodle.

I don't know his history; I just know that he has one of the coolest last names I've ever heard.  Those Irish names; O'Hare being one of them.  McGarrett from Hawaii Five-O being another.

8 hours ago, shardoon said:

this is amazing.  And Denver Intl?  Wow.  Everyone's flying into CO and FL it seems.

I think FTL is taking away ridership from MIA in a big way.  It's like LAG and Newark Intl...

Wow...MCO...it's not so much MCO as it is all of these other airports where "tourism" is still being stunted.  I mean, apparently you cannot fly to Japan unless you have a work Visa.  That's just messed up.

• 4 weeks later...

Over 4.5 million passengers last month through MCO. At this rate, we will smash the total 2019 record for passengers. With that being said, a recession is on the horizon with some uncertainty.........without a recession, MCO will need to dust off phase 2 construction plans for terminal C sooner rather than later.  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Over 4.5 million passengers last month through MCO. At this rate, we will smash the total 2019 record for passengers. With that being said, a recession is on the horizon with some uncertainty.........without a recession, MCO will need to dust off phase 2 construction plans for terminal C sooner rather than later.  

It very much depends on the type of recession, too.  A milder one with more regional issues isn't nearly as bad as a deep, aggressive recession.

If it's something like 1990-91 where a lot of people in certain parts of the country didn't even know it happened, that's not bad.  I lived in the Midwest and honestly didn't even really know it happened until we had an influx of people from New England move into our town, who had apparently been hit a lot harder.

The one around 9/11 was much broader and Orlando certainly got hit harder because of people wary to fly, but the recession for the entire country itself wasn't crazy.  We just happened to be on the wrong end of it then.

10 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

It very much depends on the type of recession, too.  A milder one with more regional issues isn't nearly as bad as a deep, aggressive recession.

If it's something like 1990-91 where a lot of people in certain parts of the country didn't even know it happened, that's not bad.  I lived in the Midwest and honestly didn't even really know it happened until we had an influx of people from New England move into our town, who had apparently been hit a lot harder.

The one around 9/11 was much broader and Orlando certainly got hit harder because of people wary to fly, but the recession for the entire country itself wasn't crazy.  We just happened to be on the wrong end of it then.

Bob Iger found out that, to many people, their Disney vacations were considered more important than just about anything. Those people who have jobs in a recession will still come if The Mouse (and Uni, for that matter) are still plussing the parks. So far, that’s exactly what’s happening and we should be ok for this downturn. Orlando, for example, mostly missed the Reagan recession thanks to the coming of Epcot. As long as people can get here (and aren’t afraid to fly or worry about the latest version of the pandemic), we should be fine.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, spenser1058 said:

The skylight and architecture look great. I absolutely hate the interior finishes/colors and decor of the new Terminal C and intermodal, however. It looks like an early 90s suburban mall. Lol. 

Delta to resume COVID-suspended Orlando nonstop to Amsterdam this fall:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-delta-orlando-amsterdam-returns-20220513-gi5vhrzveverpm63ktqgnmoly4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Delta is ready…. when you are! (everybody sing!)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Delta is ready…. when you are! (everybody sing!)

At first I cursed you for putting this in my head but then I realized it's way better than the beer barrel polka that's been stuck in there since our dinner at The Willowtree last night so I guess I owe you some thanks! LOL

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

At first I cursed you for putting this in my head but then I realized it's way better than the beer barrel polka that's been stuck in there since our dinner at The Willowtree last night so I guess I owe you some thanks! LOL

mmmmm Willowtree… road trip to Sanford!

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 2:03 PM, dcluley98 said:

The skylight and architecture look great. I absolutely hate the interior finishes/colors and decor of the new Terminal C and intermodal, however. It looks like an early 90s suburban mall. Lol. 

look at the guys running the goaa board who picks this stuff.  Any of them look like they are fashion forward?  Hmm, most dress like they are still in the 90's. Its only fitting they would choose colors and decor they feel at home with...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

look at the guys running the goaa board who picks this stuff.  Any of them look like they are fashion forward?  Hmm, most dress like they are still in the 90's. Its only fitting they would choose colors and decor they feel at home with...

When I worked at Brooks Bros.., we were told 65% of men’s wear was purchased by or in consultation with a woman.

That seemed to be true for Buddy. Before his divorce from his first wife, he was often quite dapper (if a bit of a throwback to ‘80’s prep as defined by Lands’ End).

Since his divorce, he often looks like he’s headed to a luau in Uncle Fred’s backyard.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2022 at 10:17 PM, orlandouprise said:

look at the guys running the goaa board who picks this stuff.  Any of them look like they are fashion forward?  Hmm, most dress like they are in their 90's. Its only fitting they would choose colors and decor they feel at home with...

FTFY

I was scoping out the gates and terminal layout at MCO versus, say, O'Hare.  

sometimes I wonder whether O'Hare dictates to the FAA as opposed to the other way around.  I mean, if you look at their gate layout and see where they have squeezed in gates and aircraft gantries it is ridiculous.  They must have more gates per square foot of terminal space than any airport in existence.

Then you look at MCO and say, dang, we could've squeezed in another 30 gates in the existing buildings based on the O'Hare model... 

Terminal C is becoming quite the local food hub. Coming to the new terminal:

Barnie’s Coffee and Tea Co.

Cucina and Co.

Orlando Brewing Bar and Bites

Wine Bar George

Olde Hearth Bread Co.

Sunshine Diner by Chef Art Smith

Orange County Brewers

Eola Market

Greenbeat

Raw Juice 

Cask and Larder will be opening up two additional spots in the terminal.

And if you want more corporate offering there will be PGA Tour Grill, Shake Shack, Einstein Bros, Starbucks and Chic Fil-A. 

https://mickeyblog.com/2022/05/23/more-details-emerge-on-restaurants-coming-to-terminal-c-at-orlando-international-airport/

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2022/05/23/shops-restaurants-at-orlando-international-airports-new-terminal-focus-on-local-flavor/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Sentinel goes in-depth on the ongoing corruption of the GOAA board. It’s essentially the CFX mess on steroids being steered by the Governor’s appointments.

Disappointingly, neither of the mayors on the board are doing much to fight it but then it may be futile while Tallahassee is in charge.

Ironically, the state took control of the airport years ago after the city’s Champ Williams Krugerrand scandal.

Orlando airport has ‘inside game’ reputation, says chairman
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-orlando-airport-inside-game-20220529-4dojpmcisvhzxgzrksa6mnas64-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

On 5/30/2022 at 7:45 AM, spenser1058 said:

The Sentinel goes in-depth on the ongoing corruption of the GOAA board. It’s essentially the CFX mess on steroids being steered by the Governor’s appointments.

Disappointingly, neither of the mayors on the board are doing much to fight it but then it may be futile while Tallahassee is in charge.

Ironically, the state took control of the airport years ago after the city’s Champ Williams Krugerrand scandal.

Orlando airport has ‘inside game’ reputation, says chairman
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-orlando-airport-inside-game-20220529-4dojpmcisvhzxgzrksa6mnas64-story.html

From The Sentinel 

or...or...maybe they are ALL corrupt and you're just making excuses for them with your "villain" identified...