Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

On 5/31/2022 at 1:29 PM, jrs2 said:

or...or...maybe they are ALL corrupt and you're just making excuses for them with your "villain" identified... 

Thank you, Mr. Bannon. I know better than that. That’s what the corrupt people want you to think, “oh, everybody does it”. That’s the quickest way to the ruin of democracy because after a while folks say, “why bother?” I’ve seen too many examples of good governance in my life to believe that.

I must confess a bit of schadenfreude  that the folks who were convinced everything is crooked are the ones who went heaviest on crypto, and they’re finding out there’s a reason for all those guardrails the financial system has (it used to have more, and those could have prevented much of the 2008 recession, but many of the same people insisted on dismantling many of the safeguards in 1996). Oh well, the crypto mess couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of folks.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 2

My 3 shadiest relatives have lost their minds because they were CONVINCED that crypto was going to make them billionaires.  They invested a ton.

If I was forced to say who my absolute least favorite relatives in my entire family are, those 3 would only be in a contest with my cousin who is in prison for beating his step-mom & burglarizing his parent's home.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Thank you, Mr. Bannon. I know better than that. That’s what the corrupt people want you to think, “oh, everybody does it”. That’s the quickest way to the ruin of democracy because after a while folks say, “why bother?” I’ve seen too many examples of good governance in my life to believe that.

I must confess a bit of schadenfreude  that the folks who were convinced everything is crooked are the ones who went heaviest on crypto, and they’re finding out there’s a reason for all those guardrails the financial system has (it used to have more, and those could have prevented much of the 2008 recession, but many of the same people insisted on dismantling many of the safeguards in 1996). Oh well, the crypto mess couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of folks.

wow, that 5-31-2022 comment must have really gotten under your skin for you to feel the need to respond to it TWICE now. 

...taking personal jabs...Hank too?  wow...

49 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

...taking personal jabs...Hank too?  wow...

Oh no, I really don't want to do that kind of thing to people in general.  Just personal jabs against my own relatives.  They are awful, but I'm only commenting on them as  decent and ethical people (indecent and unethical) and comments on their general morality, not anything political or that you would know about personally.  Also they are thick as thieves so they all act shady together and all invested heavily in crypto together.  They also tried to bully a bunch of the oldest relatives into dumping their life savings into crypto.  They were not successful in that regard, the rest of us told them to leave them alone.  I know lots of people that invested in crypto, but I only know these that did so heavily and are going bananas because of it.

Or did someone take a jab at me and I missed it?

Although, to be fair, Spense is talking about me I suppose.  As I've openly stated that I believe the overwhelming and vast majority of politicians on the state & federal levels are corrupt & vile.  I think they are worthless and should be sent to space instead of phone sanitizers.  (nerdy HHGTTG reference there)

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

Although, to be fair, Spense is talking about me I suppose.  As I've openly stated that I believe the overwhelming and vast majority of politicians on the state & federal levels are corrupt & vile.  I think they are worthless and should be sent to space instead of phone sanitizers.  (nerdy HHGTTG reference there)

You are being kind, but that was a direct attack against me of course because I challenged his belief system, and it really, really, resonated, even a month and a half after the post.

Spense's usual MO is to use feigned impartiality as a way to interject political slant without looking politically biased (which he is) so then nobody really complains, because they don't see it as a politically driven comment.   Then out of the blue  he unleashes a barrage of "Bannon"..."corrupt"..."crooked" to believe, and therefore crooked "crypto" investors...(that don't likely believe in or trust the system).   See the pattern here? It is clear that Spense believes that if you believe the system is corrupt, then it takes one to know one;  and these are the same crooked people investing in crypto.  Then his fanbase "like" and join in  b/c he's fighting the good fight for them.  Um, what is the fight even about?  Defending politicians, the government, and/or the system from criticism?  That's the ultimate example of Stockholm Syndrome, and it's embarrassing; it really is.  

• Like 2

Orlando airport’s Terminal C set for debut after 30 years of two steps forward, one back
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-orlando-airport-financial-rebound-20220717-cjb3naymhvdcfn25ehvkcrtf24-story.html 

From The Sentinel 

It’s been a long time coming but it should raise our passenger satisfaction surveys. Hopefully, they can get the pedestrian bridge to the train station funded soon - schlepping to the parking garage won’t be fun in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 1:02 AM, codypet said:

As of last week they are building the connection now.

I looked at the master plan from their website.  the plans from that actually show a hotel being integrated into that connecting walk path/hallway to the intermodal.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Spirit/Frontier merger is off. A Spirit linkup with Jet Blue is still possible:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/27/business/spirit-airlines-frontier-jetblue.html?referringSource=articleShare

From The New York Times 

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2022/07/28/jetblue-agrees-to-buy-spirit-for--3-8-billion

Apparently, it's more than possible.  It's going to regulators now for approval.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

A Jet Blue/Spirit merger may have an impact on MCO:

JetBlue buyout of Spirit would cut choices for Orlando flights to a dozen cities
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-spirit-jetblue-merger-mco-20220728-ejv6wujaqje3dachj5tqg2fhni-story.html

From The Sentinel 

that sucks.  Spirit flew to a bunch of secondary market airports the size of DAB or similar, up in the midwest and NE.  Maybe that will open up markets for Allegiant to take over those routes.

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

that sucks.  Spirit flew to a bunch of secondary market airports the size of DAB or similar, up in the midwest and NE.  Maybe that will open up markets for Allegiant to take over those routes.

We’ll be rocking it at SFB! @jgardnerucf will hate me saying this, but I’m really getting to like Seminole County these days.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I see this as an opportunity for Jet Blue to really open a huge hub in Orlando to the Caribbean and Latin America. Remember, they are the only domestic carrier that is completely moving to Terminal C. Jet Blue has also been eliminating caribbean flights out of Ft Lauderdale. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

I'll wait for the Langoliers to chomp up SFB.          Simply For Bumpkins!         Lol

great reference! 

SFB could've been made a little nicer.  DAB has a small terminal- 6 gates, yet it has a skylight and looks nice---small but nice, like a sliver of an OIA airside...  well, just like to OOCEA over the years...the more they build the more money they get and the better the construction projects get with flyovers vs embankments for ramps.  I'm sure SFB will ascend in the terminal department in the future; I was kind of hoping it would have with the latest renovations...

I had a short work trip (Tues night-Fri) this week and "had" to park in Term C rather than my usual Terminal Top.  Great alternative.  It's sub-ideal for me coming from the north and being an AA loyalist so literally couldn't be any further away, but better than having to end up in any of the park and rides.  Only downside I experienced is that when I got back late at night, they were only running 1 of the 2 trams, so it meant an 8 minute wait instead of 4.

The way they tacked it onto the corner of the high-gates was creative, and works decently well for now.  Though once more traffic starts coming through there and especially once phase 2 gets activated, I think they're going to need to reconfigure the 60-120 B TSA exit, because there will be a chokepoint right there.

4 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I had a short work trip (Tues night-Fri) this week and "had" to park in Term C rather than my usual Terminal Top.  Great alternative.  It's sub-ideal for me coming from the north and being an AA loyalist so literally couldn't be any further away, but better than having to end up in any of the park and rides.  Only downside I experienced is that when I got back late at night, they were only running 1 of the 2 trams, so it meant an 8 minute wait instead of 4.

The way they tacked it onto the corner of the high-gates was creative, and works decently well for now.  Though once more traffic starts coming through there and especially once phase 2 gets activated, I think they're going to need to reconfigure the 60-120 B TSA exit, because there will be a chokepoint right there.

50 years from now, they really need to figure out a tram that will attach all the sterile areas of terminal C and future D to every airside in the north terminal. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, shardoon said:

50 years from now, they really need to figure out a tram that will attach all the sterile areas of terminal C and future D to every airside in the north terminal. 

North Terminal will be knocked down and rebuilt in that timeframe.  By the time D is built out, what is North today will be mostly gone.

32 minutes ago, codypet said:

North Terminal will be knocked down and rebuilt in that timeframe.  By the time D is built out, what is North today will be mostly gone.

It’s interesting that great cities have airport terminals which people want to save (like the most majestic train stations, right, @HankStrong?) while MCO’s, not unlike a latter-day shopping mall past its prime, will be mourned by almost no one.

Contrast that with MSY’s 1959 terminal , a portion of which will be preserved:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/new-orleans-old-msy-abandoned-terminal/index.html

From CNN

Fun Fact: New Orleans’ airport code, MSY, stands for “Moisant Stock Yards”.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s interesting that great cities have airport terminals which people want to save (like the most majestic train stations, right, @HankStrong?) while MCO’s, not unlike a latter-day shopping mall past its prime, will be mourned by almost no one.

Contrast that with MSY’s 1959 terminal , a portion of which will be preserved:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/new-orleans-old-msy-abandoned-terminal/index.html

From CNN

Fun Fact: New Orleans’ airport code, MSY, stands for “Moisant Stock Yards”.

That's a bit fanciful.  The sad fact is that most old train stations and old airport terminals were purely functional and not beautiful.  Some were, but most weren't.  For every NYC Grand Central or DC Union Station or Cincinnati Union Terminal or NYC Penn Station there are 500 generic, anonymous, drab train stations.

There are even fewer airport terminals (mostly since none of them are more than 100 years old and most aren't even 30-40 years old) that are great architecture.  They are definitely getting better.  Look at Singapore's Changi Airport and your jaw will drop.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

That's a bit fanciful.  The sad fact is that most old train stations and old airport terminals were purely functional and not beautiful.  Some were, but most weren't.  For every NYC Grand Central or DC Union Station or Cincinnati Union Terminal or NYC Penn Station there are 500 generic, anonymous, drab train stations.

There are even fewer airport terminals (mostly since none of them are more than 100 years old and most aren't even 30-40 years old) that are great architecture.  They are definitely getting better.  Look at Singapore's Changi Airport and your jaw will drop.

In addition to MSY, I was also thinking of the TWA Terminal at JFK (now a beautiful hotel) or Templehof in Berlin (despite its negative connection to he who shall not be named) to name the ones that come to mind.

As to train terminals, just in Florida alone we have a handful of notable ones. I cringe when I think of Jax swapping out their downtown terminal (thankfully, it was repurposed as a convention center and is now heading back to being used for trains again) for a squat little ‘70’s Nixon revenue-sharing building in BFE.

Surprisingly, there are/were several Greyhound stations that are/were memorable for deco and streamline moderne architecture. We’ve lost waaaay too many of those as intercity bus travel has fallen on hard times in much of the country.

In Orlando, our train station is a gem that makes SoDo interesting. The airport and the former Greyhound station on Amelia were meh (as was the Trailways station on Hughey).

Edited by spenser1058