Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

19 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

That's a bit fanciful.  The sad fact is that most old train stations and old airport terminals were purely functional and not beautiful.  Some were, but most weren't.  For every NYC Grand Central or DC Union Station or Cincinnati Union Terminal or NYC Penn Station there are 500 generic, anonymous, drab train stations.

There are even fewer airport terminals (mostly since none of them are more than 100 years old and most aren't even 30-40 years old) that are great architecture.  They are definitely getting better.  Look at Singapore's Changi Airport and your jaw will drop.

O'Hare's United Terminal is a good one- late '80's

Also, O'Hare's original 2-3 from 1963 have been retrofitted (airsides) to emulate what they did with the United Terminal (skylights, etc.  Otherwise those airsides were as bland as Hartsfield's and OIA's Airsides 1 & 3 (pre skylight retrofit- concourses only, not the central skylit hubs).

The Intl Terminal at O'Hare-um, I walked it once in the past four years and I have to say I was underwhelmed.  Back in 1992 or so I thought it was da shizznit...but...

Philly has a nice Intl Terminal...

Of course Charles de Gaulle has a grand original-ish landside terminal and in another building this rotunda-looking round cylindrical structure with skywalks and escalators going through it; it's cool as hec...and that airport has glass gantries to the airplanes...none of this shipping container-looking BS (which is cheaper of course).  Talk about wow factor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

O'Hare's United Terminal is a good one- late '80's

Also, O'Hare's original 2-3 from 1963 have been retrofitted (airsides) to emulate what they did with the United Terminal (skylights, etc.  Otherwise those airsides were as bland as Hartsfield's and OIA's Airsides 1 & 3 (pre skylight retrofit- concourses only, not the central skylit hubs).

The Intl Terminal at O'Hare-um, I walked it once in the past four years and I have to say I was underwhelmed.  Back in 1992 or so I thought it was da shizznit...but...

Philly has a nice Intl Terminal...

Of course Charles de Gaulle has a grand original-ish landside terminal and in another building this rotunda-looking round cylindrical structure with skywalks and escalators going through it; it's cool as hec...and that airport has glass gantries to the airplanes...none of this shipping container-looking BS (which is cheaper of course).  Talk about wow factor.

I remember how proud United was when it opened up their new O’Hare terminal - the commercials ran endlessly on “This Week With David Brinkley” for months. They were an immense improvement over the ADM ads about soybeans, though…

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 6:59 PM, jrs2 said:

You are being kind, but that was a direct attack against me of course because I challenged his belief system, and it really, really, resonated, even a month and a half after the post.

Spense's usual MO is to use feigned impartiality as a way to interject political slant without looking politically biased (which he is) so then nobody really complains, because they don't see it as a politically driven comment.   Then out of the blue  he unleashes a barrage of "Bannon"..."corrupt"..."crooked" to believe, and therefore crooked "crypto" investors...(that don't likely believe in or trust the system).   See the pattern here? It is clear that Spense believes that if you believe the system is corrupt, then it takes one to know one;  and these are the same crooked people investing in crypto.  Then his fanbase "like" and join in  b/c he's fighting the good fight for them.  Um, what is the fight even about?  Defending politicians, the government, and/or the system from criticism?  That's the ultimate example of Stockholm Syndrome, and it's embarrassing; it really is.  

A different personal/social/political agenda to shoehorn into every topic and beat everyone over the head with for every day of the week.  

Best to just ignore them all.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

A different personal/social/political agenda to shoehorn into every topic and beat everyone over the head with for every day of the week.  

Best to just ignore them all.  

you're right.   I think he's CIA...

(yes, I am kidding)

On 8/1/2022 at 10:39 AM, spenser1058 said:

I remember how proud United was when it opened up their new O’Hare terminal - the commercials ran endlessly on “This Week With David Brinkley” for months. They were an immense improvement over the ADM ads about soybeans, though…

when you use all glass and steel there really isn't a whole lot you can do to upgrade from that point.  It kinda reminds me when malls, The Citrus Center, and similar places all decided to "modernize" by throwing out perfectly good granite in favor of cheap ceramic or what have you tile.  I couldn't believe it.  I went into a flooring center and I asked where the white marble was (to redo a bathroom).  The guy showed me, then talked me out of it, and showed me a YUGE area of tile from one MFR, and tried to sell me on that.  Hmmm.  Ok...No thanks.

Unfortunately, in some cases with airports, they have allowed sales-people (PC) to talk them into these modern trends and looks and the people doing it are the suppliers' reps.  Talk about unbiased.  Hey, if it's Georgia Marble/ Granite, fine, but not this cheap stuff.

United did terrazzo in that terminal.  They've got a really cool neon thingy in the tunnel underneath with these pastel light walls that make you feel like you're on set of Buck Rogers or Logan's Run.  Even today it still looks that cool.  If you fly United and have the misfortune of connecting at O'Hare, try to do that tunnel if time permits.  It's cool.  I'm sure there's a video. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

when you use all glass and steel there really isn't a whole lot you can do to upgrade from that point.  It kinda reminds me when malls, The Citrus Center, and similar places all decided to "modernize" by throwing out perfectly good granite in favor of cheap ceramic or what have you tile.  I couldn't believe it.  I went into a flooring center and I asked where the white marble was (to redo a bathroom).  The guy showed me, then talked me out of it, and showed me a YUGE area of tile from one MFR, and tried to sell me on that.  Hmmm.  Ok...No thanks.

Unfortunately, in some cases with airports, they have allowed sales-people (PC) to talk them into these modern trends and looks and the people doing it are the suppliers' reps.  Talk about unbiased.  Hey, if it's Georgia Marble/ Granite, fine, but not this cheap stuff.

United did terrazzo in that terminal.  They've got a really cool neon thingy in the tunnel underneath with these pastel light walls that make you feel like you're on set of Buck Rogers or Logan's Run.  Even today it still looks that cool.  If you fly United and have the misfortune of connecting at O'Hare, try to do that tunnel if time permits.  It's cool.  I'm sure there's a video. 

I really like terrazzo. When they were carpeting everything in sight from the ‘60’s through the mid-80’s (there was a motel chain that had carpeted walls) it was awful.

I remember after MK opened, the queue area in “If You Had Wings” was carpeted. Within several weeks , it looked hideous from spills and guests dropping their gum on it.

It was so bad even hospitals were using carpet. One of the culprits in the explosion of “superbugs” during that time came about because it’s nigh on to impossible to keep carpets clean (not to mention sterile) in that environment.

When the “flagship” Gooding’s opened in Dr. Phillips it had carpet and I pitied the poor stockboys dispatched to “cleanup on Aisle 4.” Publix, known for its unique terrazzo floors, avoided that menace.

My mother even did it in the first house I lived in, carpeting over the beautiful hardwood floors. With three kids in the house, you can imagine how that went.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I really like terrazzo. When they were carpeting everything in sight from the ‘60’s through the mid-80’s (there was a motel chain that had carpeted walls) it was awful.

I remember after MK opened, the queue area in “If You Had Wings” was carpeted. Within several weeks , it looked hideous from spills and guests dropping their gum on it.

It was so bad even hospitals were using carpet. One of the culprits in the explosion of “superbugs” during that time came about because it’s nigh on to impossible to keep carpets clean (not to mention sterile) in that environment.

When the “flagship” Gooding’s opened in Dr. Phillips it had carpet and I pitied the poor stockboys dispatched to “cleanup on Aisle 4.” Publix, known for its unique terrazzo floors, avoided that menace.

My mother even did it in the first house I lived in, carpeting over the beautiful hardwood floors. With three kids in the house, you can imagine how that went.

A LOT of people did the carpeting over wood floors...

I know what you mean about the "sterile" factor being thrown out the window.  Coincidentally, there is a movie review of a Neil Breen movie from the 2010's called Fateful Findings where they analyze the various scenes, one of which takes place in a hospital, where there is carpeting on the floor.  They of course slam the filmmaker for not using a better set for the hospital room.  If only they knew this was regular practice way back in the day.

When the renovated OIA a few years back they put a bunch of that polished travertine? on Level 3 ticketing, but still kept carpeting on the sides.  The N/S Bldg is all carpeting at the OCCC.  I admit sometimes it gives you that feeling that, hey, I'm a kid rolling around on the carpet of The Contemporary... but...nah...

Wasn't the Carousel of Progress all carpeted?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

A LOT of people did the carpeting over wood floors...

I know what you mean about the "sterile" factor being thrown out the window.  Coincidentally, there is a movie review of a Neil Breen movie from the 2010's called Fateful Findings where they analyze the various scenes, one of which takes place in a hospital, where there is carpeting on the floor.  They of course slam the filmmaker for not using a better set for the hospital room.  If only they knew this was regular practice way back in the day.

When the renovated OIA a few years back they put a bunch of that polished travertine? on Level 3 ticketing, but still kept carpeting on the sides.  The N/S Bldg is all carpeting at the OCCC.  I admit sometimes it gives you that feeling that, hey, I'm a kid rolling around on the carpet of The Contemporary... but...nah...

Wasn't the Carousel of Progress all carpeted?

I think CoP, Flight To the Moon and Circlevision all were. IYHW stood out because they used an orange-ish carpet originally which didn’t hide any of the stains. They went to a dark bluish color when they replaced it, which made more sense anyway given Eastern’s colors.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I think CoP, Flight To the Moon and Circlevision all were. IYHW stood out because they used an orange-ish carpet originally which didn’t hide any of the stains. They went to a dark bluish color when they replaced it, which made more sense anyway given Eastern’s colors.

did someone bring up TWA's classic terminal with orange-red carpeting in it?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

did someone bring up TWA's classic terminal with orange-red carpeting in it?

lol - they didn’t mention that in the redo. That’s skeery.

I always thought the TWA rocket at Disneyland was so cool. Now, it just looks dated in the pics but kinda Flash Gordon-ish.

Speaking of rockets, Walt and Werner Von Braun were BFFs. Both were visionaries and both were very conservative in their politics.

Edited by spenser1058

On 8/3/2022 at 1:42 PM, spenser1058 said:

When I initially moved down here for my internship I went into the Goodings in LBV and noticed it was partially carpeted which was my first red flag.  I then saw the prices were ridiculously overpriced for tourists.  I walked out and never went back in again.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 1:43 PM, jrs2 said:

great shot.  but those pilings/ uprights have been there untouched for some time (since 2021).  Have you noticed any new work on that connection yet?

The contract bid opening for the resumption of construction for this and the Terminal expansion (4 additional gates that were suspended in 2020) happened last week. Expect award and resumption of activity in the next 60 days, or so. Some fencing and grading will happen before then as current construction wraps up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CFL Rez said:

The contract bid opening for the resumption of construction for this and the Terminal expansion (4 additional gates that were suspended in 2020) happened last week. Expect award and resumption of activity in the next 60 days, or so. Some fencing and grading will happen before then as current construction wraps up.

Thats great news. I always felt they needed to finish what they started since the 1A expansion already had a foundation and the gate structures built. Honestly, it was a dumb move to abandon it mid construction as I'm sure it will cost much more money to ramp up again 2 years later. With that being said, I do not think anyone fathomed us potentially having a record travel year rivaling 2019 numbers in 2022. I think the projections they had at the time was not recovering those numbers until 2026. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CFL Rez said:

was the master plan design for a hotel going in that space purely conceptual for some distant future redesign?

3 hours ago, shardoon said:

Thats great news. I always felt they needed to finish what they started since the 1A expansion already had a foundation and the gate structures built. Honestly, it was a dumb move to abandon it mid construction as I'm sure it will cost much more money to ramp up again 2 years later. With that being said, I do not think anyone fathomed us potentially having a record travel year rivaling 2019 numbers in 2022. I think the projections they had at the time was not recovering those numbers until 2026. 

Do you have updated travel numbers for OIA for 2022 (or 2021 (I guess)?  I'm not sure which 12 month period they look at.

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

was the master plan design for a hotel going in that space purely conceptual for some distant future redesign?

Do you have updated travel numbers for OIA for 2022 (or 2021 (I guess)?  I'm not sure which 12 month period they look at.

Rolling 12 month is over 47 million already through June 2022.  74% increase from  1 year ago this time.  By the end of the year, I expect the rolling 12 month should be at or near the final 2019 numbers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Rolling 12 month is over 47 million already through June 2022.  74% increase from  1 year ago this time.  By the end of the year, I expect the rolling 12 month should be at or near the final 2019 numbers. 

I wonder how much of an impact the opening of Terminal C will have on those numbers, or, whether it will be a wash b/c JetBlue purchased Spirit and is discontinuing some routes.

42 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I wonder how much of an impact the opening of Terminal C will have on those numbers, or, whether it will be a wash b/c JetBlue purchased Spirit and is discontinuing some routes.

I do not think Jet Blue formally purchased Spirit yet. I really feel since Jet Blue is gonna be the only domestic carrier in terminal C, they have the potential to open a hub up. Anecdotally, they have not been flying many Caribbean routes from Fort Lauderdale this past year. 

10 minutes ago, shardoon said:

I do not think Jet Blue formally purchased Spirit yet. I really feel since Jet Blue is gonna be the only domestic carrier in terminal C, they have the potential to open a hub up. Anecdotally, they have not been flying many Caribbean routes from Fort Lauderdale this past year. 

I think they did.  A friend flew out on Spirit 1/2 weeks ago on an intl. flight and they sent him from the Spirit check in to JetBlue's check in; he almost missed the flight as a result.  that's why I got those pix; I was there dropping him off.  I was stunned b/c I didn't think the merger had occurred yet...BUT...in practice...it did.

Edited by jrs2

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I think they did.  A friend flew out on Spirit 1/2 weeks ago on an intl. flight and they sent him from the Spirit check in to JetBlue's check in; he almost missed the flight as a result.  that's why I got those pix; I was there dropping him off.  I was stunned b/c I didn't think the merger had occurred yet...BUT...in practice...it did.

The Biden administration has to sign off on it and they’ve been looking hard at how consolidation is messing with the economy. It’s gonna be a while.

43 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The Biden administration has to sign off on it and they’ve been looking hard at how consolidation is messing with the economy. It’s gonna be a while.

Domestic airlines are already stressed with demand and lack of staff........... not sure how this would affect all this.  Either it may relieve the industry or create more problems if many older pilots and flight attendants simply retire instead of dealing with a new company. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 10:37 AM, jrs2 said:

jetBlue and Spirit have an agreement to merge (in principle) but the actuaL merge is at least a couple of years away. They still need several approvals (DOJ, FAA) and to plan exactly how the merger will take place (combine staff, management,  fleets, airport operations,  routes and hundreds of other contracts) . Until then, they will continue to operate as separate carriers. 

On 8/10/2022 at 10:30 AM, jrs2 said:

The hotel is still planned. It should parallel the new walkway on the South side. I think GOAA has their hands very full with getting Terminal C open next month. I wouldn't expect much movement on the hotel until next year.

GOAA reports their passenger numbers on a rolling 12 moths. As noted above, they expect to be  close, if not exceed 2019. GOAA's budget year ends next month (runs Oct thru Sept). They'll release some comparisons to 2021 and 2019 I'm sure. Should be a pretty good indicator of how things are going. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CFL Rez said:

jetBlue and Spirit have an agreement to merge (in principle) but the actuaL merge is at least a couple of years away. They still need several approvals (DOJ, FAA) and to plan exactly how the merger will take place (combine staff, management,  fleets, airport operations,  routes and hundreds of other contracts) . Until then, they will continue to operate as separate carriers. 

The hotel is still planned. It should parallel the new walkway on the South side. I think GOAA has their hands very full with getting Terminal C open next month. I wouldn't expect much movement on the hotel until next year.

GOAA reports their passenger numbers on a rolling 12 moths. As noted above, they expect to be  close, if not exceed 2019. GOAA's budget year ends next month (runs Oct thru Sept). They'll release some comparisons to 2021 and 2019 I'm sure. Should be a pretty good indicator of how things are going. 

I know you mentioned construction bids were opened on completing phase 1A, so hopefully the new terminal will not looked unfinished on one end.  When would you expect active construction to restart on 1A?  Also, do you know the timeline on consideration of a skytrain for terminal C? I know that was in the final master plan, but did not know when it would be considered? Pahse 2 of terminal C? Phase 3? Or would they wait on that until they break ground on terminal D? 

• Like 1