Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

I found this to be interesting in the article , particularly about Tyndall:

”However, the airport’s increased size and passenger capacity won’t translate into fewer delayed flights. The U.S. Department of Transportation recently ranked Orlando International second worst in the nation for late flights. Thibault says the problem is complex, beginning with limited airspace over the popular peninsula. Tyndall Air Force Base activity augments the problem in the Panhandle, limiting Gulf-side flights, and frequent spaceflights on the Atlantic side. Thibault says that the aviation authority is working with the Federal Aviation Administration and companies on the Space Coast to identify resources and solutions.”

Edited by spenser1058

27 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I found this to be interesting in the article , particularly about Tyndall:

”However, the airport’s increased size and passenger capacity won’t translate into fewer delayed flights. The U.S. Department of Transportation recently ranked Orlando International second worst in the nation for late flights. Thibault says the problem is complex, beginning with limited airspace over the popular peninsula. Tyndall Air Force Base activity augments the problem in the Panhandle, limiting Gulf-side flights, and frequent spaceflights on the Atlantic side. Thibault says that the aviation authority is working with the Federal Aviation Administration and companies on the Space Coast to identify resources and solutions.”

Some posted the map that shows the number of flights in the air and over Orlando its just a giant blob of planes trying to head north or south. 

• Like 1

Just checked into Spirit international. They are using the A side for international. It is a small check in area located across the jetblue check in. All signage is spirit. Nothing jetblue on their international check in on the A side. 

Of note, all the jetblue counters have their monitors off and a lot of their signage is stripped....still checking in passengers though. I think they are starting with their operations shift to terminal C. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Will Frontier convert to ground boarding and pass up the jetways at MCO? 

They’ve done it in Denver and may consider it here, suggesting it cuts boarding times in half.

Meanwhile, airport officials don’t love the idea. Stay tuned…

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-frontier-boarding-style-20220905-gpuue4pirvcgzfrueen5zkfe5u-story.html

From The Sentinel 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Will Frontier convert to ground boarding and pass up the jetways at MCO? 

They’ve done it in Denver and may consider it here, suggesting it cuts boarding times in half.

Meanwhile, airport officials don’t love the idea. Stay tuned…

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-frontier-boarding-style-20220905-gpuue4pirvcgzfrueen5zkfe5u-story.html

From The Sentinel 

I've been on an AA flight that would deplane from front and rear at LGA.  Rear was direct to the ground, and you basically walked through a door from the tarmac directly to bag claim, but you had to use the jetway if you needed to connect to another flight.  It was novel, but worked.  Not sure if there would be any real advantage with the layout at MCO, except to improve efficiency for the airline.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2022 at 4:18 PM, shardoon said:

Just checked into Spirit international. They are using the A side for international. It is a small check in area located across the jetblue check in. All signage is spirit. Nothing jetblue on their international check in on the A side. 

Of note, all the jetblue counters have their monitors off and a lot of their signage is stripped....still checking in passengers though. I think they are starting with their operations shift to terminal C. 

As time goes on what do you suppose will be the benefit of having those check in counters?  I see their use being less and less required as we move to electronic boarding passes and kiosk check in.  Look at how Southwest does it.  I want to say its like 2 families per attendant, and you print your boarding pass and check bag tag and the attendant is just there for quick questions and to confirm you're correct.  

2 hours ago, codypet said:

As time goes on what do you suppose will be the benefit of having those check in counters?  I see their use being less and less required as we move to electronic boarding passes and kiosk check in.  Look at how Southwest does it.  I want to say its like 2 families per attendant, and you print your boarding pass and check bag tag and the attendant is just there for quick questions and to confirm you're correct.  

Still a lot of international use as well as people just need help. I do not see this going away........ but you certainly can have added efficiency. Still need the obligatory show the ID and boarding pass check before handing the bags off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shardoon said:

Still a lot of international use as well as people just need help. I do not see this going away........ but you certainly can have added efficiency. Still need the obligatory show the ID and boarding pass check before handing the bags off. 

exactly.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:46 PM, jrs2 said:

https://www.acppubs.com/articles/8499-orlando-international-airport-embarks-on-41b-expansion

there is a shot in this article from 2021 I believe that shows the mass of this project; it is taller than the typical Terminal A & B airsides.  Landside is a different issue b/c of terminal top parting on A/B.  But the arrivals concourse on top is pretty tall.  The only thing on A/B that comes close or is as impressive is the Hyatt side where Airsides 2 & 4 are, where the APM stations are glass, and where the wall to them is also glass. 

People that fly in on so many airlines from Airsides 1 & 3 never truly experience the grandeur of the other side where Hyatt is- and it is impressive- objectively so, compared to a lot of airports around the US and the world. 

Include me in this.  I fly AA, so I hadn't seen that side of the airport in over a decade until I took the C shuttle a few weeks ago.  

On 9/6/2022 at 9:36 AM, codypet said:

So one thing about those computers at airports like MCO is that they are owned by the airport, not the the alrlines.  They're common-use.  Basically (virtually) any airline can take over (virtually) any check-in counter / gate simply by logging in.

As far as physically goes?  I can see as renovations/new builds happen, it turns into more of a podium model rather than a counter, similar to what Disney has done at its hotels and theme park entrances.  

On 8/29/2022 at 2:46 PM, jrs2 said:

https://www.acppubs.com/articles/8499-orlando-international-airport-embarks-on-41b-expansion

there is a shot in this article from 2021 I believe that shows the mass of this project; it is taller than the typical Terminal A & B airsides.  Landside is a different issue b/c of terminal top parting on A/B.  But the arrivals concourse on top is pretty tall.  The only thing on A/B that comes close or is as impressive is the Hyatt side where Airsides 2 & 4 are, where the APM stations are glass, and where the wall to them is also glass. 

People that fly in on so many airlines from Airsides 1 & 3 never truly experience the grandeur of the other side where Hyatt is- and it is impressive- objectively so, compared to a lot of airports around the US and the world. 

Pretty funny because I fly Southwest so often I forgot how dumpy Airsides 1 & 3 look.  I also hadn't realized security had basically taken over the area under Chilli's.  It made sense to me flying Jetblue last month why the long term plan is to migrate to C&D and clean sheet A&B.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, shardoon said:

Who keeps hiring this same crappy interior decorator. Crappy teal carpet and couches in many locations.....why....why....why????

Pretty cool seats with the wireless charging though

The carpet is literally an MCO signature within the aviation community.  They sell socks with the pattern.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, codypet said:

Pretty funny because I fly Southwest so often I forgot how dumpy Airsides 1 & 3 look.  I also hadn't realized security had basically taken over the area under Chilli's.  It made sense to me flying Jetblue last month why the long term plan is to migrate to C&D and clean sheet A&B.

man, I went to Hartsfield airsides not too long ago, and, I have to say that GOAA did a good job retrofitting Airsides 1 & 3 with partial skylighting and the partial tile floors.  From the concourses to the central skylit hub, then to the trains, is a pretty nice experience even there.  Now compare that to Airsides 2 & 4, where the APM stations are glass, etc., and it's like going to a nice Dillards vs Bloomingdales.  Still, our Dillards is nicer that Hartsfield's older airsides.  It's a much nicer experience.  And nothing beats an elevated APM ride to the landside terminal, for me at least.  I love the APM experience.

Now, O'Hare had similarly structured airsides for the American section for years until they retrofitted them with partial skylights akin to the United side as an upgrade.  They look nicer...

Point being not to take what we got for granted b/c even though we all judge it based on our likes and dislikes and what we're used to, we still got one of the nicer overall terminals out there (A&B), and the Hyatt side experience is tough to beat.  Denver Intl has really nice skylighting b/c that giant atrium lined with shops is awesome.  That's about 2-3 times the size of the Hyatt atrium on two levels, kinda like a mall.  Maybe 3x the size from what I recall...

I will say on the landside under Chili's, I am impressed how they made the former security checkpoint about 3x the size.  That was a good functional retrofit.

So once Terminal C is in full swing, which airlines get to occupy Airside 4?   

22 hours ago, shardoon said:

Reminds me of my parents house in the early 1990's

I am just tickle pink that GOAA told Delta to pretty much stick it like 5-6 years ago when they stated that GOAA shouldn't expand OIA, teal carpet or not...  

7 minutes ago, codypet said:

Airside 4 is Delta right?  Aren't they staying?

So, Termical C will empty most of the planes currently in Airside 4.  I bet they shift some carriers from Airside 1 & 3 over to 4 along with Delta.  Maybe American and United?  Pecking order based on company size?

So currently in Airside 1 going to Terminal C

Azul - Jet Blue - Iceland Air (Departures) - Norse - Spirit

Currently in Airside 3 going to Terminal C

Spirit

Currently in Airside 4 going to Terminal C

Aer Lingus - Carribean Airlines - British Airways - Emirates - GOL  - Iceland Air (Arrivals) - Luftansa

My assumption was that most of these were in Airside 1 was because their ticketing is in Terminal A even though their gates are in Terminal B.  Pretty confusing.  Good thing Terminal C will hopefully clean some of that up.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, codypet said:

So currently in Airside 1 going to Terminal C

Azul - Jet Blue - Iceland Air (Departures) - Norse - Spirit

Currently in Airside 3 going to Terminal C

Spirit

Currently in Airside 4 going to Terminal C

Aer Lingus - Carribean Airlines, - Gol - British Airways - Emirates - GOL  - Iceland Air (Arrivals) - Luftansa

My assumption was what most of these were in Airsides 1 was because their ticketing is in Terminal A even though their gates are in Terminal B.  Pretty confusing.  Good thing Terminal C will hopefully clean some of that up.

Now that's interesting because Spirit is at the Intl Terminal at O'Hare as well, and was there since January 2020 without a doubt.  And that's Spirit domestic...

with that spread of gate location, perhaps United stays put but gets a larger footprint (United and American?)