Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

We’re #6! MCO comes in sixth out of the twenty largest airports in customer satisfaction, according to JD Power.

Keep in mind, the numbers come from the slowdown period due to COVID so passenger counts were much lower and terminals less congested.

I mentioned in an earlier post that TPA was likely going ahead with an expansion to keep its high satisfaction rankings and in fact it was #1 for large airports (the next tier down from MCO). The article notes in the actual index itself from which the rankings were derived TPA had some of the best numbers overall.

MCO officials note their higher volume of traffic as a mitigating factor. Hopefully, the new Terminal C will spread things out further.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-mco-j-d-power-20220921-dtp2pbownzcr5j3x2hpm7cc2pi-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

More on the JD Power Customer Satisfaction Survey for 2022.

Tampa had the highest overall score for any size of airport at 846. It’s in the second category of airports as “large”.

The Sentinel listed MCO at #6 in the “mega” category. I couldn’t find an overall score but the mega airports tied for third had a score of 791, so Orlando was below that.

The scale runs to 1000 potential points.

Let’s hope Terminal C raises our score for 2023!

http://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/2022/09/22/tampa-international-north-americas-best-large-airport-survey-says/

From The Tampa Bay Times 

21 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

More on the JD Power Customer Satisfaction Survey for 2022.

Tampa had the highest overall score for any size of airport at 846. It’s in the second category of airports as “large”.

The Sentinel listed MCO at #6 in the “mega” category. I couldn’t find an overall score but the mega airports tied for third had a score of 791, so Orlando was below that.

The scale runs to 1000 potential points.

Let’s hope Terminal C raises our score for 2023!

http://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/2022/09/22/tampa-international-north-americas-best-large-airport-survey-says/

From The Tampa Bay Times 

they key is how much of a percentage were those international carriers and JetBlue of the total OIA numbers?  Also, based on prior comments from Codypet and/or Shardoon, it looks like the bulk of the international carriers hail from Airside 1, which is on the old side at Chili's Too, so that will alleviate a lot of stress at those TSA checkpoint(s) for Airsides 1 and/or 3 and speed things up.  

First time I noticed, however, there is now mention of phase 2 funding  in the capital improvement program for the  2021-2027 fiscal years. They added funding for it. This is new and is the phase beyond the restart of construction of phase 1A. 

https://www.orlandoairports.net/press/2022/09/22/goaa-board-approves-fy-22-23-budget-updates-capital-improvement-program/ 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, shardoon said:

First time I noticed, however, there is now mention of phase 2 funding  in the capital improvement program for the  2021-2027 fiscal years. They added funding for it. This is new and is the phase beyond the restart of construction of phase 1A. 

https://www.orlandoairports.net/press/2022/09/22/goaa-board-approves-fy-22-23-budget-updates-capital-improvement-program/ 

"Terminal C Phase 2"

44 minutes ago, shardoon said:

has anybody walked from Terminal C to the Intermodal Center yet to see how it is like?  I might try that for S&G this weekend.  They must have cordoned off a swath of walk path on that garage level to connect the two facilities, either with cones or maybe they built out walls...dunno.

46 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

has anybody walked from Terminal C to the Intermodal Center yet to see how it is like?  I might try that for S&G this weekend.  They must have cordoned off a swath of walk path on that garage level to connect the two facilities, either with cones or maybe they built out walls...dunno.

I dropped my wife and MIL at the airport on Sunday and they had a fence blocking the escalators up from the C garage. I pick them up tomorrow so I plan on visiting and taking a tour of the non sterile areas. 

• Like 1

Started reading the OIA master plan that was developed in 2013. They had the triggers to contracting different phases based on passenger counts. 

For the purposes of the master plan, they call phase 1 the intermodel center with APM. Phase 2 is what just opened. Phase 3 trigger is building out the northern portion of terminal C which starts at 50 millions passenger. I believe we pretty much will be at that this year. Phase 4, final phase of terminal C, trigger at 60 million passengers. Then they move on to the mirror image of terminal C, which is terminal D. Triggers at 70, 80, and 90 million passengers respectively for each passenger of terminal D.

At complete build out, combined North and South terminal capacities measured at 100 million passengers. 

Parts of these expansions are complicated because they have to budget to extend all the runways except the far east one by about 2800 feet. Aparently it is needed to mitigate the height of any hotel in the south complex. 

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 1

British/Irish folks. Having to wait an hour for their bags at the start of their holiday. Oh. The horror. Because this never happens in Spain. (I, however, am thrilled that I will never have to deal with Terminal A and B security and immigration control again when flying BA.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I cringe, but memories of the Denver baggage system fiasco creep into mind when hearing this story. I know it's a completely different type of baggage system. Denver had to scrap the whole system. Something Orlando does not have an option to do because essentially the whole airport design was based upon this baggage system. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

Is it just me or do they not have enough baggage carousels?

it's 2 and 2, one set on each side of two sets of ticketing counters.  I thought the same thing.

the inner ticketing counters, such as Aer Lingus, backs up to a wall and on the other side of it are eateries.  In the other photo, the outer ticketing counters are actually two sets backing up to one another where you can see clear through and each has it's own baggage conveyor.  Wow.  I really like the aesthetics of that.  I'm not sure if it comes through in the photo.  It's the one with the dark blue light boards that say "Orlando," on one side of the terminal, and the "Emirates" one on the other.  It is symmetrical.  The support columns actually come down into the center of the dual conveyor set up, in between the two conveyors.  It really is cool, and that innovative design gives C about six linear ticketing counters which are complimented by dozens of check in kiosks or stands.

Also, on that one parking level, they did cordon off the walk path from C to Intermodal.  It works fine.  On the level above, they did not do that (no photo).

Glass elevators and shafts were of course choice.  There's a couple in O'Hare like that but these are way taller.

The farthest you can go, when I checked my ping on Google Satellite View, was maybe 1/3 of the way "in".  This building is huge.  But you need a ticket to go farther.

It should look awesome at night.

Edited by jrs2

51 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

it's 2 and 2, one set on each side of two sets of ticketing counters.  I thought the same thing.

the inner ticketing counters, such as Aer Lingus, backs up to a wall and on the other side of it are eateries.  In the other photo, the outer ticketing counters are actually two sets backing up to one another where you can see clear through and each has it's own baggage conveyor.  Wow.  I really like the aesthetics of that.  I'm not sure if it comes through in the photo.  It's the one with the dark blue light boards that say "Orlando," on one side of the terminal, and the "Emirates" one on the other.  It is symmetrical.  The support columns actually come down into the center of the dual conveyor set up, in between the two conveyors.  It really is cool, and that innovative design gives C about six linear ticketing counters which are complimented by dozens of check in kiosks or stands.

Also, on that one parking level, they did cordon off the walk path from C to Intermodal.  It works fine.  On the level above, they did not do that (no photo).

Glass elevators and shafts were of course choice.  There's a couple in O'Hare like that but these are way taller.

The farthest you can go, when I checked my ping on Google Satellite View, was maybe 1/3 of the way "in".  This building is huge.  But you need a ticket to go farther.

It should look awesome at night.

So a total of 4 carousels for 15 gates, soon to be 19? That seems pretty low. Secondly, with phase 3 and 4, I believe everyone comes and filters to this area. What happens when Terminal C is built out at 60 gates......where do the other carousels go? It cannot be 4 for 60 gates?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

So a total of 4 carousels for 15 gates, soon to be 19? That seems pretty low. Secondly, with phase 3 and 4, I believe everyone comes and filters to this area. What happens when Terminal C is built out at 60 gates......where do the other carousels go? It cannot be 4 for 60 gates?

It's 4 carousels for domestic flights.

There are another 4 (I think) carousels before customs for international flights.

For phase 2 and beyond they will expand the terminal sideways (to the north and south) to add more baggage carousels and ticket counters parallel to these first ones.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, blt23 said:

There are another 4 (I think) carousels before customs for international flights.

For phase 2 and beyond they will expand the terminal sideways (to the north and south) to add more baggage carousels and ticket counters parallel to these first ones.

I noticed that, in that, the north and south walls looked "expandable."

Yeah it’s built to have Security, Baggage Claim, and Ticketing all expanded along the spine. 

Phase 1X as they call it is now fully funded and takes us back to pre-Covid expansion. The bridge to the Train Terminal will be completed, those extra 4-5 gates to the South and I think (not positive) some expansion to the Terminal as mentioned above. 

Phase 2 design is now funded to add additional gates to the  North and look at a “behind security” APM or moving sidewalks. 

A moderate budget was added to the north terminal to replace the remaining brown signs, replace the four old APMs remaining, and $60 for minor building renovations. 

So doesn’t seem like any major A or B changes in the next 5 years. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, blt23 said:

You must be correct, and I didn't notice until now, but those four baggage carousels I took photos of in front were not operating, yet passengers were exiting the terminal, so they must have been using those other carousels you indicated.

10 hours ago, DowntownMike said:

Yeah it’s built to have Security, Baggage Claim, and Ticketing all expanded along the spine. 

Phase 1X as they call it is now fully funded and takes us back to pre-Covid expansion. The bridge to the Train Terminal will be completed, those extra 4-5 gates to the South and I think (not positive) some expansion to the Terminal as mentioned above. 

Phase 2 design is now funded to add additional gates to the  North and look at a “behind security” APM or moving sidewalks. 

A moderate budget was added to the north terminal to replace the remaining brown signs, replace the four old APMs remaining, and $60 for minor building renovations. 

So doesn’t seem like any major A or B changes in the next 5 years. 

Is the behind security APM going to be on the roof like miami and DFW, or something elevated indoors like Detroit? Granted it will need to be expanded to actually leave the whole terminal C complex to circle to terminal D. 

Of note, Jetblue and Caribbean airline move has been delayed due to the hurricane. I fly out on jetblue in mid October. I asked the MCO Facebook account if it would be done by then and they seemed optimistic. It would be a shame if they didn't move by then as I had a better timed delta flight that I could have taken but used jet blue just to see the sterile area or the new terminal lol. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile, TPA offers a 21’ tall flamingo at a cost of $500000+ :

http://www.tampabay.com/life-culture/2022/09/25/meet-tampas-new-celebrity-giant-airport-flamingo/

From The Tampa Bay Times 

“The giant flamingo already feels destined to be a Tampa Bay icon, captured in everyone’s vacation pictures, the artists and travel merchants at Saturday’s Fashion Week gathering said. When the hefty head and pink webbed feet were first set up in the main terminal in March, the sculpture immediately drew attention as a selfie magnet on social media.”

Edited by spenser1058

On 9/24/2022 at 9:23 AM, shardoon said:

Is the behind security APM going to be on the roof like miami and DFW, or something elevated indoors like Detroit? Granted it will need to be expanded to actually leave the whole terminal C complex to circle to terminal D. 

Of note, Jetblue and Caribbean airline move has been delayed due to the hurricane. I fly out on jetblue in mid October. I asked the MCO Facebook account if it would be done by then and they seemed optimistic. It would be a shame if they didn't move by then as I had a better timed delta flight that I could have taken but used jet blue just to see the sterile area or the new terminal lol. 

Yeah I remember that Detroit elevated indoor apm back when it was NW Airlines. Back in the early 2000's.  I had no idea they had anything that advanced in that airport back then.