Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

3 hours ago, aent said:

I haven't been the south complex yet, but is terminal C really not connected directly to the intermodal center without going through the garage??? I was already annoyed they put a traffic light in for the dropoff area for the intermodal center after so much effort to remove every other one...

look at a prior post of mine two pages back.  I don't know how to link it. the edge of the garage closest to where the "walk" way/ future hallway to C from Intermodal is cordoned off from the regular parking with cones or other demarcations; it's about a dozen feet wide and connects from the sliding doors of intermodal and one of the garage elevator lobbies on one side to C's "garage side" building where the rent-a-car desks are.  I think it's the same level or a short escalator ride up or down.  from there, you enter the "garage side" portion and take the elevated closed in hallway across the access road(s) to Arrivals Level (or one level or half level above it, then take glass elevator or escalator down; it's all open (like an atrium).

the "straight shot" connection is delayed as @codypet stated; however, OIA put in that "walk path" area to Intermodal for connectivity.  Now if you go a level above or below, there is no "walk path".   I walked it; it's not a big deal.  it's no different than those tunnels at OIA when you take those long escalators down into the basement to walk under the roadway to the basement or ground level of the parking decks.

I just edited my post.  I would have taken more shots here but there was this creepy OIA employee greeter that it seemed like was perhaps suspicious why someone is just taking photos at the terminal for "no reason."  He also got offended when I tried to make small talk asking about any hiccups thus far, unknown to me at the time the issues with baggage claim.

20220923_084535.jpg

20220923_085035.jpg

Edited by jrs2

Spirit Airlines shareholders approve $3.8B sale to JetBlue
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/ct-biz-jetblue-spirit-airlines-ap-20221019-pg77tr7pt5gkdlb6wcfyf7iu44-story.html

From The Sentinel

Still waiting for approval from the Feds. It seems the outcome of a court case involving JB and American, the Northeast Alliance, will influence this merger.

In any event, JB is not looking for the merger to be completed, even if they get regulatory approval, until the first half of 2024.

‘“We know that Central Florida is a region where travel and tourism is not a luxury but an economic lifeline,” Buttigieg said, adding that travel challenges extend beyond the airport’s capabilities. “Part of it also means making sure you have the surface side connected up well, and the U.S. as a general rule has not had the best transit connections into airports and we really need to change that to make sure we are getting the most economic value out of our airports,” Buttigieg said.’

From The Sentinel 

Let’s Hear It For Secretary Mayor Pete!

U.S DOT’s Pete Buttigieg notes Central Florida’s ‘strong vision’ for rail and air expansion
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-buttigieg-remarks-orlando-rail-20221021-ckttynsd45fg7mdvk7dz2zfdei-story.html  

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

‘“We know that Central Florida is a region where travel and tourism is not a luxury but an economic lifeline,” Buttigieg said, adding that travel challenges extend beyond the airport’s capabilities. “Part of it also means making sure you have the surface side connected up well, and the U.S. as a general rule has not had the best transit connections into airports and we really need to change that to make sure we are getting the most economic value out of our airports,” Buttigieg said.’

From The Sentinel 

Let’s Hear It For Secretary Mayor Pete!

U.S DOT’s Pete Buttigieg notes Central Florida’s ‘strong vision’ for rail and air expansion
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-buttigieg-remarks-orlando-rail-20221021-ckttynsd45fg7mdvk7dz2zfdei-story.html  

I know you have mixed feelings about the Sunshine Corridor b/c of the Disney angle, but I drove by Epic U the other day along SLR and the construction underway was massive in scope...the park, industrial space, office space, etc., and BL will have a stop near the terminus of the Kirkman Road Extension.  It will connect to OIA (Sunrail and BL).  Yeah, it ain't the 408, but, wow, I would have never imagined an non-already-existing-easement addition to Sunrail when the only reason it initially passed was b/c of existing easement granted by CSX for $$$.

If you notice, the main line of Sunrail has now "sprouted" to a corridor that has no existing rail, but because of BL (and prior proposals), it is fostering that "sprouting" to occur.  I bet you that once this is further underway, they will examinate the OBX and/or other corridors with more seriousness.

Oh, and as for OIA, the only corridor that benefits OIA is this corridor (and the connection to the main line).

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 2

Kudos to Secretary Mayor Pete during his visit to MCO today for not only meeting with the suits but also several of the airport’s union folks as well. One of the amazing things about Pete is his willingness to talk with just about everyone (he even got a standing O when he appeared on a FOX News Town Hall). What a president he’ll make with Chasten as first gentleman!

13 hours ago, codypet said:

Hmm Fox 35 says 3rd level but GOAA says  6th 

https://orlandoairports.net/getting-around-mco/#mco-app

Most people would call the landside building 3 levels (or 4 if you count the walkway to the parking garage). GOAA uses level numbers to coincide with the garage, hence the top floor being numbered 6. They did the same in the ITF/Train Station with the building levels being numbered 1/3/5. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tampa came in #1 in customer satisfaction for large airports, per JD Power.

In the big boy category (mega airports-33 million or more passengers per year) Orlando came in 6th.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/best-worst-airports-north-america-jd-power-ranking

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2022/09/21/ranked-the-best-and-worst-airports-in-america/

Unsurprisingly, LAX, O'Hare and Newark were in the bottom.

Edited by AmIReal
corrected
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Tampa came in #1 in customer satisfaction for large airports, per JD Power.

In the big boy category (mega airports-33 million or more passengers per year) Orlando came in 6th.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/best-worst-airports-north-america-jd-power-ranking

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2022/09/21/ranked-the-best-and-worst-airports-in-america/

Unsurprisingly, LAX, O'Hare and Newark were in the bottom.

I don't get LAX.  The different airlines are separated out into separate terminals with their own drive-ups.  JFK is similar.  Kinda makes it easier to fly in and out of...

DFW and Hartsfield have some of the worst connecting flight gate transfer locations in the industry, to the point where you may miss your connecting flight.  That being said, driving up to DFW is decentralized, like JFK and LAX.  Harsfield is similar driving up-wise to MCO.   And O'Hare is a spoke like SFO and MIA.

Conclusion?  Is there one?  You've got so many terminal layout styles; there's good in some yet bad in the others, and vice versa, depending on what you're discussing.

O'Hare isn't bad driving up to Departures; connecting may be a b!tch, though, but that's to be expected.  If Hartsfield could do a better job logistically of making the connecting flight gates at least be in the same concourse as your origin flight, then their design would probably be the most practical; but Delta is a big mess in that respect; and maybe it's just unavoidable because of flight delays, etc.

But regarding MCO, aside from the long lines at TSA, I don't see what it isn't No.1.  

My only regret about Terminal C is that I wish they had moved a second large carrier there along with JetBlue; then, you would see a lessening of the rather large crowds at TSA in A/B.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

My only regret about Terminal C is that I wish they had moved a second large carrier there along with JetBlue; then, you would see a lessening of the rather large crowds at TSA in A/B.

Does the acquisition of Spirit kind of solve that?  Eventually all of Spirit will move out and into Terminal C.  That should eventually get the lines down.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, codypet said:

Does the acquisition of Spirit kind of solve that?  Eventually all of Spirit will move out and into Terminal C.  That should eventually get the lines down.

I didn't realize that Spirit would also move into C as Spirit and not just get shut down...  Is that JetBlue's plan with them, to still keep them their own entity?

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I didn't realize that Spirit would also move into C as Spirit and not just get shut down...  Is that JetBlue's plan with them, to still keep them their own entity?

Have you ever seen an airline merger where they continue to operate as two different brands? I fully expect Spirit to completely get absorbed by Jet Blue. The reality is that JetBlue did this to obtain all of Sprit's landing slots in very congested regions. This is a shame, because I really like the Big Front seat. Basically domestic first class for the fraction of the cost and no free drinks. It is a great deal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

When AirTran was absorbed by Southwest Airlines AirTran moved into the terminal that Southwest operated out of for about a year as AirTran before eventually winding down.  I was thinking something similar could happen with spirit and JetBlue

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, codypet said:

When AirTran was absorbed by Southwest Airlines AirTran moved into the terminal that Southwest operated out of for about a year as AirTran before eventually winding down.  I was thinking something similar could happen with spirit and JetBlue

Maybe..... but it's only temporary..... the end result is the same..... no more Spirit. 

13 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Maybe..... but it's only temporary..... the end result is the same..... no more Spirit. 

So, Spirit has a bunch of gates in Airside 3; they literally occupy almost an entire wing of that airside.  Does JetBlue cut some of those flights so that the terminal to terminal gate count doesn't change for SPirit once they become JetBlue and more to C?  I guess there's no way to really know 100%.

13 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So, Spirit has a bunch of gates in Airside 3; they literally occupy almost an entire wing of that airside.  Does JetBlue cut some of those flights so that the terminal to terminal gate count doesn't change for SPirit once they become JetBlue and more to C?  I guess there's no way to really know 100%.

The question is, how many gates did Jetblue have in the old terminal vs terminal C. I believe they have 10 gates in C. That should tell me the expansion plans. There are another 4 gates that will come online in the next few years with the continued terminal C expansion.

Next question is how many total gates does Spirit have. From what I understand, Frontier has been salivating at getting more gates in Orlando. I expect them to pick up jet blue's vacated gates. Don't know what will come of Spirits gates, but that isn't for a few years once the merger completes. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 5:55 PM, shardoon said:

Right.  Same with SW.  No more Airtran. However those Airtran relocated gates to the SWA airside remained SWA.  I was thinking similar.  Spirit relocated gates would eventually be Jet Blue.  Time will tell.

On 11/19/2022 at 7:12 AM, shardoon said:

The question is, how many gates did Jetblue have in the old terminal vs terminal C. I believe they have 10 gates in C. That should tell me the expansion plans. There are another 4 gates that will come online in the next few years with the continued terminal C expansion.

Next question is how many total gates does Spirit have. From what I understand, Frontier has been salivating at getting more gates in Orlando. I expect them to pick up jet blue's vacated gates. Don't know what will come of Spirits gates, but that isn't for a few years once the merger completes. 

so Frontier is looking to expand with the addition of more gates; that is good news; it means the business is there but that they just need the physical gates.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that Orlando is getting a new United Pilot hub. I wonder if they would ever consider opening a full fledge hub in Orlando? They have nothing in the Southeast and it could be a good gateway to the Caribbean and Latin America. Closest hubs are Houston and DC Dulles, which is not ideal for anyone in the Southeast. Considering the population shifts to the Southeast, this makes sense economically and Orlando has more than enough room, especially with the conveyor belt of expansion currently in action with Terminal C. 

https://airwaysmag.com/united-airlines-new-pilot-bases/

• Like 1