Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

3 hours ago, shardoon said:

Interesting that Orlando is getting a new United Pilot hub. I wonder if they would ever consider opening a full fledge hub in Orlando? They have nothing in the Southeast and it could be a good gateway to the Caribbean and Latin America. Closest hubs are Houston and DC Dulles, which is not ideal for anyone in the Southeast. Considering the population shifts to the Southeast, this makes sense economically and Orlando has more than enough room, especially with the conveyor belt of expansion currently in action with Terminal C. 

https://airwaysmag.com/united-airlines-new-pilot-bases/

what kind of infrastructure comes with having a pilot base?

“(A)irport boardings were up for the first time in months at Daytona Beach International Airport. For the first time in six months, passenger traffic was up over last year with a total of 45,844 passengers passing through the Volusia County-operated airport in October, compared to 45,079 in October 2021.”

From Hometown News Volusia 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Also, OIA (MCO) is ready to start working on the next $65M upgrade. They will apply for a $50 million grant from the Airport Terminals Program Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to add more gates to Terminal C.

Per OBJ, "The 15-gate terminal will add four gates that can accommodate either four wide-body or eight narrow-body aircraft, said the application. The additional gates will "ease pressure" in the existing north terminal and allow for the replacement of aged infrastructure."

"Work could begin before the end of this year with a substantial construction completion in Dec. 2025 and a final inspection of the project in June 2026."

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/11/30/florida-airport-terminal-expansion-project.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Also, OIA (MCO) is ready to start working on the next $65M upgrade. They will apply for a $50 million grant from the Airport Terminals Program Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to add more gates to Terminal C.

Per OBJ, "The 15-gate terminal will add four gates that can accommodate either four wide-body or eight narrow-body aircraft, said the application. The additional gates will "ease pressure" in the existing north terminal and allow for the replacement of aged infrastructure."

"Work could begin before the end of this year with a substantial construction completion in Dec. 2025 and a final inspection of the project in June 2026."

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/11/30/florida-airport-terminal-expansion-project.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

Amazing.  The foundation is there for the 4 gates.  And it will take 3 years to get to substantial completion.  They built the Sear Tower in like 3 years.

9 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Amazing.  The foundation is there for the 4 gates.  And it will take 3 years to get to substantial completion.  They built the Sear Tower in like 3 years.

But then look what happened to Sears….

The hubris of corporations building monuments to themselves often ends badly. Coke’s 29-story tower in midtown Atlanta was followed by the introduction of New Coke.

Edited by spenser1058

On 12/2/2022 at 1:00 PM, jrs2 said:

what kind of infrastructure comes with having a pilot base?

I don't think much. Possible more morning and evening flights from and to Orlando. I think maintenence bases have more infrastructure, and I believe Orlando is already a maintenence base. Obviously the big thing would be a Southeast hub, which is really needed for United. If I am anyone who wants to go to the Caribbean or South America and I live in the Southeast, chances are you will NOT be flying United due to time restraints going so far North or West to go South. This is why is I think MCO would be a great hub, they are leaving so much marketshare on the table without one in the Southeast

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Florida Airports Expected To Set Records During Holidays:
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/577212-florida-airports-expected-to-set-records-during-holidays/

From Florida Politics 

Good to see MCO back in the pole position again!

Has anyone been to Disney Springs lately?  Holy crap!  I'm not surprised MCO is killing it.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 4:56 PM, codypet said:

Has anyone been to Disney Springs lately?  Holy crap!  I'm not surprised MCO is killing it.

I went with my niece two weeks ago.  It's the first time I've been in forever and you are underselling it.  It was so full that we hit what she needed and got out.  It was more crowded than I've ever seen it.

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I went with my niece two weeks ago.  It's the first time I've been in forever and you are underselling it.  It was so full that we hit what she needed and got out.  It was more crowded than I've ever seen it.

That's really saying something that "Holy crap" is underselling it.  🤣

But you're right.  Buena Vista Dr has so many garages along it and they were all reading full except for the one next to Speedway.  They're gonna HAVE to do something about encouraging bus or shuttle service from somewhere else on property.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

Flew in from LGW to Terminal C on Friday night. 90 minutes until my bag appeared on the carousel. Bags had been trickling out in bursts of 5 at a time. Nothing like being surrounded by a mob of cranky Brits (and Americans!) Numerous airport workers told me baggage delays like this are a common issue. This incident was blamed on a stuck belt. Nice new terminal, but WTF? Great “Orlando Experience”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I drove by the airport last night (not going to, but I was just on the 528) and the line of cars was backed up almost to the Sand Lake exit (E/B) going into the airport.  

I'd post in the Just Wow thread, if that wasn't a flaming pile of feces now.

We want to help you stay warm in the polar express about to hit town!

19 hours ago, jrs2 said:

is that like the Lounge they have on Airside 3?

I've been to plaza premium lounges in Europe and they are light years better than The Club, which has 2 locations in the North Terminal. They are trying to break into North America. I was really looking forward to seeing it...... oh well. Makes no sense, the terminal is very busy with Jet Blue flights. Why not have it open in the morning. 

On another note, my critique of the place is that it is very sterile. They have too many long hallways with blank walls.  They have press releases of all this technology etc, but still loads of 3 story blank walls that go on it seems like forever. They also went cheap and have no moving walkways. Not good. Sure, they have some of those courtesy golf carts, but they were VERY infrequent. Either they start building the sky train asap or greatly increase the amount of courtesy shuttle carts. This is only phase one and let me tell you, it seemed like quite a long walk.  Reminded me of DFW, but without the train. It cant be sustained with the next phase.  Also would have been nice if more restaurants were open. I was really looking forward to Summer House, but they have not built out yet. Honestly, they need to get on the ball with this. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shardoon said:

I've been to plaza premium lounges in Europe and they are light years better than The Club, which has 2 locations in the North Terminal. They are trying to break into North America. I was really looking forward to seeing it...... oh well. Makes no sense, the terminal is very busy with Jet Blue flights. Why not have it open in the morning. 

On another note, my critique of the place is that it is very sterile. They have too many long hallways with blank walls.  They have press releases of all this technology etc, but still loads of 3 story blank walls that go on it seems like forever. They also went cheap and have no moving walkways. Not good. Sure, they have some of those courtesy golf carts, but they were VERY infrequent. Either they start building the sky train asap or greatly increase the amount of courtesy shuttle carts. This is only phase one and let me tell you, it seemed like quite a long walk.  Reminded me of DFW, but without the train. It cant be sustained with the next phase.  Also would have been nice if more restaurants were open. I was really looking forward to Summer House, but they have not built out yet. Honestly, they need to get on the ball with this. 

I haven't been in the airside portion yet, but, I can tell you that the landside portion is large (as you are aware) and that portion is only 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the airside portion of the building itself.  The actual gate concourse, when you compare Google satellite view to say, other airport terminals or even the OCCC, is rather sizeable.  I hate that there aren't planes on both sides of the concourse, I really do.  O'Hare's Intl Terminal is similar and so is United's landside terminal there as well...but there's a ton of glass at United (O'Hare).

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Tons of complaints like mine. So now after they tried to save a penny back in 2017 by eliminating the moving walkways and narrowing down the terminals corridors by 10 feet due to the elimination, they are gonna try to figure out a way to squeeze the walkways back in. How? You narrowed the corridors and you are now stuck. Dumb dumb dumb. And how will you do the contruction while the terminal is open, when you already narrowed the path to save money. Just as dumb as them halting the construction on the raimaining 4 gates during the pandemic when contruction was in full force now only to restart, which will cost way more now since they have to restart and revamp construction. 

Only solution is to fast track and I mean FAST track contruction of thr airtrain. Do it now while you are ramping up construction on phase 1A. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-orlando-airport-walking-complaints-20230113-drir65etijayhcuu2greu3jvqu-story.html

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...