Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

Lufthansa also bought ad space on a Lymmo bus downtown. I saw it last night. It said something about welcoming Lufthansa, blah, blah, blah. Couldn't read it all as it went by me.

You'll have to be more specific, as this week progressed its looked like they've bought ad space on a bunch more buses. I saw two Lufthansa Lymmos and a regular Lufthansa bus on my 5 minute walk to work today.

I thought Virgin or British Airways fly direct to HEathrow from MCO.

Both fly from MCO direct to London Gatwick. I have often had to take this route and then change airports to Heathrow while in London to move on to further destinations, quite annoying. About 5-6 years ago, there was a complimentary shuttle between the two airports (and they would transfer your luggage for you). Now, you have to claim your bags and find your own way between the airports and check in your luggage. Or at least I had to do that last December when I went through.

Airport working to extend capacity by five years

Efforts would delay South Terminal construction.

Orlando Business Journal - by Chris Kauffmann Staff Writer

SUMMARY:

Officials are looking into spending $400 million on airport improvements that would increase capacity in order to delay construction of the $2 billion South Terminal by 8 years.

OPINION:

This is just a guess since I am not able to read the entire OBJ article but I would imagine that these improvements would include build-out of Airside 2's (jetBlue, Southwest) third "finger." Doing so would require extending runway 17R/35L by 2,000 feet, reconfiguring the runway's ILS, and constructing several new taxiways.

KMCO.png

The article did not go into details and did not mention anything about extending runways or gates. It said just improvements for common areas, baggage handling, etc...It also said most of this would be needed regardless of delaying the new terminal. There was also another little blurb about how they are going after the South American market hard to take away flights from MIA...

they should've never built Airside 2 with that nature BS instead of a third concourse ("finger").

they really need to widen 528 near OIA. the new flyover ramp is a start. they also need to finish widening Boggy Creek/South exit (unless they already finished it.

I know they are planning to overhaul the two original airsides (1 and 3);

The main food court is nice; A+

The Hyatt area is first class. They should do something similar on the other side to raise the roof some more.

Slantinel has an article about Lufthansa starting service two days ago and about Aer Lingus and stats on the % of OIA travellers using first class seats (2-9%) vs. MIA (9-20%), which shows that MIA is a better market for that service. obviously, since Miami is 2.5M in Dade and 5M+ in the metro and there's more people with $$$ down there.

Anyway, we now have BA, Virgin, Aer Lingus, and Lufthansa in the OIA portfolio.

Anyway, we now have BA, Virgin, Aer Lingus, and Lufthansa in the OIA portfolio.

And Condor - for a while longer [FRA], and Martinair [AMS, SJO], and Copa [PTY], and Air Canada [YYZ, YUL, YOW, YYC], and WestJet [YYZ, YUL, YOW, YYC, YHZ, YHZ], and AeroMexico [MEX], and Cayman [GCM], and AirJamaica [KIN, MBJ], and BahamasAir [NAS, FPO], and Delta [NAS, MEX, CUN] and US Airways [NAS], and Continental [FPO].

Edited by Camillo Sitte

And Condor - for a while longer [FRA], and Martinair [AMS, SJO], and Copa [PTY], and Air Canada [YYZ, YUL, YOW, YYC], and WestJet [YYZ, YUL, YOW, YYC, YHZ, YHZ], and AeroMexico [MEX], and Cayman [GCM], and AirJamaica [KIN, MBJ], and BahamasAir [NAS, FPO], and Delta [NAS, MEX, CUN] and US Airways [NAS], and Continental [FPO].

is Condor discontinuing service?

Attractive but not spectacular. I don't like the idea of a curving roadway creating a continuous blind corner when people are constantly trying to find friends to pick-up and find their airline's curbside signage.

Seems like the design is pretty far along, though.