Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

21 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So...friend just flew into MCO right by Terminal C.  She shot video. Seriously, at 8pm tonight, 12 of the 14 gates had jets parked there.  How insane.  I will try to extract a still from the video. 

Was at the airport at 5am today and you would have thought it was 12 noon. So busy....  it's crazy

• Like 1

Rolling 12 months through April 2023 released. Up to 53,472,305.  Currently about 7 million more compared to April 2022 rolling 12 months. Obviously with flawed 2021 numbers pulling down April of last year rolling 12 months.

However, looking at April 2022 and April 2023, we manage to remove a lot of the Covid drag.   

April 2022 had 4.308 million.  April 2023 had 5.014 million.  That's a 16.39 % increase. If we use those numbers for the year, we can project somewhere in the 58 million passenger range. 

On another topic, we will overtake Miami as the busiest Florida airport again.  Something strange is going on with Miami. They really are not having any change on monthly numbers 2022 compared to 2023. 

Lastly, we are destroying Las Vegas, even with their padded private jet travel numbers. First 4 months of 2023 for Las Vegas was 18.3 million passengers. Compare that with 19.272 million for MCO. 

https://www.yogonet.com/international//news/2023/05/26/67288-las-vegas-airport-sees-visitation-up-128-to-48m-passengers-in-april#:~:text=For the first four months,of the summer vacation season.

https://orlandoairports.net/about-us/#traffic-statistics

An  53,

4jhj7253,472,305,305

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2023 at 11:13 AM, shardoon said:

Rolling 12 months through April 2023 released. Up to 53,472,305.  Currently about 7 million more compared to April 2022 rolling 12 months. Obviously with flawed 2021 numbers pulling down April of last year rolling 12 months.

However, looking at April 2022 and April 2023, we manage to remove a lot of the Covid drag.   

April 2022 had 4.308 million.  April 2023 had 5.014 million.  That's a 16.39 % increase. If we use those numbers for the year, we can project somewhere in the 58 million passenger range. 

On another topic, we will overtake Miami as the busiest Florida airport again.  Something strange is going on with Miami. They really are not having any change on monthly numbers 2022 compared to 2023. 

Lastly, we are destroying Las Vegas, even with their padded private jet travel numbers. First 4 months of 2023 for Las Vegas was 18.3 million passengers. Compare that with 19.272 million for MCO. 

https://www.yogonet.com/international//news/2023/05/26/67288-las-vegas-airport-sees-visitation-up-128-to-48m-passengers-in-april#:~:text=For the first four months,of the summer vacation season.

https://orlandoairports.net/about-us/#traffic-statistics

An  53,

4jhj7253,472,305,305

what's the reason do you think? (with regards to Vegas and Miami)

Edited by jrs2

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

what's the reason do you think? (with regards to Vegas and Miami)

I really do not know. It's strange. Miami is a heavy international gateway and connection center to the Caribbean and Latin America. Maybe less international travel this year? Maybe Orlando being aggressive with new Caribbean and South America direct flights give people more options locally as well as using Orlando as a connection? Dollars and cents, the carriers that fly to the Caribbean and South America from Orlando do tend to be cheaper than American Airlines. 

As for Vegas, I've got no clue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

I really do not know. It's strange. Miami is a heavy international gateway and connection center to the Caribbean and Latin America. Maybe less international travel this year? Maybe Orlando being aggressive with new Caribbean and South America direct flights give people more options locally as well as using Orlando as a connection? Dollars and cents, the carriers that fly to the Caribbean and South America from Orlando do tend to be cheaper than American Airlines. 

As for Vegas, I've got no clue. 

Fascinating dynamic. I never thought 15 years ago MCO could compete with Miami on international Latin American routes or direct flights. But we saw those new routes  announcements posted here one after another, and over time, they added up to be alot of passengers per year.

5 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Fascinating dynamic. I never thought 15 years ago MCO could compete with Miami on international Latin American routes or direct flights. But we saw those new routes  announcements posted here one after another, and over time, they added up to be alot of passengers per year.

It's strange, but a lot of times flying into Orlando on Southwest or Jetblue, they make announcements on the inbound flight about gate connections. Makes Orlando feel like a hub.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 9:52 PM, shardoon said:

It's strange, but a lot of times flying into Orlando on Southwest or Jetblue, they make announcements on the inbound flight about gate connections. Makes Orlando feel like a hub.

what is the goal for Terminal C and intl. flights?  Do they plan to eventually move all intl. flights out of Airside 4 to Terminal C?

16 hours ago, jrs2 said:

what is the goal for Terminal C and intl. flights?  Do they plan to eventually move all intl. flights out of Airside 4 to Terminal C?

That was what I believe the original plan was, but clearly, not all of the international carriers moved. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

It looks like the terminal C landside terminal will be expanded in addition to the additional  4 gates on the airside. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shardoon said:

So the capital improvement plan with funds through 2027 includes phase 2. This current expansion that is starting is phase 1A. So this is assuming phase 2 will be another 15 gates?

I think, yes, on the number of gates.  But as far as building the thing, I'm not so sure.  They said Phase 2 planning...so maybe just that and nothing more...

21 minutes ago, shardoon said:

So the capital improvement plan with funds through 2027 includes phase 2. This current expansion that is starting is phase 1A. So this is assuming phase 2 will be another 15 gates?

As for Phase 2, I am assuming it would be that spur in the bottom of that graphic.  It looks to be 19 gates...

orlando-main.jpg

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I think, yes, on the number of gates.  But as far as building the thing, I'm not so sure.  They said Phase 2 planning...so maybe just that and nothing more...

$750 million is a lot more than the bridge, phase 1A and phase 2 planning....... maybe the damn APM lol 😆 

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, shardoon said:

$750 million is a lot more than the bridge, phase 1A and phase 2 planning....... maybe the damn APM lol 😆 

my bad.  you're probably right.  Phase 2 if its just that portion I notated above is only the Airside portion with those 19 gates.  Phase 1a was expensive b/c it was also a Landside Terminal which is rather large.

On 6/10/2023 at 7:37 AM, jrs2 said:

OMG.  Man, these prices are getting way out of control.

Inflation.  

The run of the mill stormwater inlet you see everywhere will set you back $11.5k.  No pipe, just the installation of the inlet.  

image.png.c16ccbfb414b83bcea54c3a8a5473a02.png

image.png.cde8936e45750223b93da7a3516b13db.png

That same inlet in 2020 was $7k and $8.2k in 2021

image.png.c81b4a5b07d71b45f2fbcab3d21396ca.png

image.png.064a1ba2a3a2215f9199615431e7eb88.png

Now extrapolate that to every construction material in a project.

Source FDOT:

https://www.fdot.gov/programmanagement/estimates/documents/historicalitemaveragecostsreports

Edited by codypet
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, codypet said:

Inflation.  

The run of the mill stormwater inlet you see everywhere will set you back $11.5k.  No pipe, just the installation of the inlet.  

image.png.c16ccbfb414b83bcea54c3a8a5473a02.png

image.png.cde8936e45750223b93da7a3516b13db.png

That same inlet in 2020 was $7k and $8.2k in 2021

image.png.c81b4a5b07d71b45f2fbcab3d21396ca.png

image.png.064a1ba2a3a2215f9199615431e7eb88.png

Now extrapolate that to every construction material in a project.

Source FDOT:

https://www.fdot.gov/programmanagement/estimates/documents/historicalitemaveragecostsreports

so now what?  is it just going to continue escalating out of control?  During the Boom, talk was of concrete shortage because of China.  So, now what?