Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

???

Same schematic design [phase] as posted back on pages 1, 2, and 3 of this thread...

I know, that's part of why I said that. It seems like these most recent renderings are screen shots from a movie of the model, which looks to be pretty detailed. While I know that anybody can throw together a nice-looking architectural model prretty quickly (hell, I've done few myself), the increased level of detail on what is essentially the same design from a while back makes me think that what we're seeing probably won't be too far off from the final product. This definitely isn't just a massing model-- it looks like a movie made for a presentation about the design.

Just a reminder that one of Airbus' A380's will be visiting MCO tomorrow. It is scheduled to land at 4:00pm and with the winds projected to be out of the northeast, it should be landing on runway 36L. It will then be parked on the north ramp just north of the Continental hangar on the west side of the airport, away from the terminals. Walk-throughs will be offered for the media on Tuesday and for local officials/politicians/dignitaries on Wednesday before it departs Thursday at 7:00am.

MCO is not making any special provisions to allow the public to view the bird, so if you plan on going out to MCO tomorrow, expect the usual high level of security around the perimeter of the airport.

With no concrete plans to bring the A380 to MCO anytime soon, it will be quite a while before this bird returns. Scheduled service is over 5 years away so the next time this whale jet returns will only be for special visits TBA or MIA diversions (still about 2-3 years away).

Orlando seeks 'bounce' from South American tourists

Central Florida business wants more of those travelers

Orlando Sentinel Article

NOTE:

While the first half of the article focuses on South American tourism growth potential, the second half talks about the effects at MCO. One interesting note is that the airport has been seriously courting the Brazilian carrier TAM.

Just a reminder that one of Airbus' A380's will be visiting MCO tomorrow. It is scheduled to land at 4:00pm and with the winds projected to be out of the northeast, it should be landing on runway 36L.

Correction-- despite the 36L arrivals today due to the north winds, the A380 will come in on 18R as long as the winds stay below 7 kts.

I stopped by MCO on my way back to Miami to catch a glimpse of the A380. It arrived from YUL half an hour early, and though I was already waiting for it, the plane came in on RWY 36L rather than 18R like I had anticipated. So while I caught its final approach from the wrong end of the airport, I didn't get to see the plane close-up until I drove over to the Continental hangar (along with everybody else). Here are some shots from today:

img5689hl8.jpg

img5707ff7.jpg

img5693ar6.jpg

img5711ap9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Martinair Holland is pulling out of Orlando and taking their 4 flights a week to Amsterdam and 3 flights a week to Costa Rica with them. The airline is eliminating some of their destinations in order to focus more on serving other cities-- in this case, Miami will see increased service.

It's a little disappointing to see a foreign airline stop transatlantic service after 14 years but this may open the door for KLM-Air France to move into the market.

Martinair Holland is pulling out of Orlando and taking their 4 flights a week to Amsterdam and 3 flights a week to Costa Rica with them. The airline is eliminating some of their destinations in order to focus more on serving other cities-- in this case, Miami will see increased service.

It's a little disappointing to see a foreign airline stop transatlantic service after 14 years but this may open the door for KLM-Air France to move into the market.

Um, I'm flying them out the 27th to Amsterdam. I sure as hell hope they are finishing out until January 5th or so?

Any idea where I can get more info?

Thanks Bic, I've been looking and couldn't find anything about it...

They are reorganizing their entire business model starting this summer.

Scuttlebutt is that Air France [who also own KLM and part of Martinair through KLM] will replace the service with a 1x daily A330/777 MCO-CDG.

We'll see...

Edited by Camillo Sitte

Does anyone know what's the delay with the remodeling of the AA terminal? The ceiling and columns have been exposed for almost a year now with little progress. If it takes this long to get around to, why did they demo it so early? It is embarrassing to walk through this dark, musty cave and see nothing change month after month. This is the last impression we should be giving our tourists.

British Airways will be upping their Gatwick-Orlando frequency two flights daily (3 days a week) starting in April, with the new flight utilizing a 777.

BA2036. Depart MCO 5:25pm, Arrive LGW 6:30am.

BA2037. Depart LGW 11:05am, Arrive MCO 3:20pm.

BA2038. Depart MCO 7:45pm, Arrive LGW 8:50am. *

BA2039. Depart LGW 1:30pm, Arrive 5:45pm. *

* Denotes the new flights.

Edited by bic

British Airways will be upping their Gatwick-Orlando frequency two flights daily starting in April, with the new flight utilizing a 777.

BA2036. Depart MCO 5:25pm, Arrive LGW 6:30am.

BA2037. Depart LGW 11:05am, Arrive MCO 3:20pm.

BA2038. Depart MCO 7:45pm, Arrive LGW 8:50am. *

BA2039. Depart LGW 1:30pm, Arrive 5:45pm. *

* Denotes the new flights.

To maybe better compete with Virgin's 2 flights daily