The Health District

richyb83

Can someone show me on a map exactly where this will be?  210,000 square feet is really big.   Probably 5-6 stories on 16 acres with surface parking.   It's a bit bigger than the current facility on Summa/Picardy where Oschner current exists.

I take it this will require 1 or 2 bridges over Ward Creek?  

It does seem like an odd place, but that new Mall of La exit certainly makes it very convenient.  

Edited by cajun

Thanks!

Do you know if the Baton Rouge Planning Commission has a website?  I think I may have stumbled on it before.   I'd like to see a site plan for this, but the Baton Rouge website seems so convoluted.  

Dan is right.  This is a weird location unless they can design the building to be very visible from I-10.

Edited by cajun

5 hours ago, dan326 said:

Yh, it just seems like a long way to drive and a lot of traffic to get to the hospital.

Well, this doesn't have an emergency room.  It's an outpatient clinic right?  So people that go there generally have appointments.   

It does seem like it would front on a major surface street, but this isn't more than a minute or so away from I-10.

Edited by cajun

3 hours ago, cajun said:

Well, this doesn't have an emergency room.  It's an outpatient clinic right?  So people that go there generally have appointments.   

It does seem like it would front on a major surface street, but this isn't more than a minute or so away from I-10.

Oh ok. Well hopefully the architectural styles match the other buildings.

5 minutes ago, dan326 said:

Oh ok. Well hopefully the architectural styles match the other buildings.

That's why I was trying to find the renderings on BRGOV.   The site is so convoluted that finding meeting minutes for the Planning Commission seems impossible.   

If it were me, I'd try to build something big enough so that the building itself serves as a billboard for Oschner, which means it needs to be placed as physically close to I-10 as they can possibly get.  Something very sleek, very modern, and 6-8 stories at least with the Oschner brand on the building would be ideal.

The building they are vacating is pretty nice looking.  

Edited by cajun

5 hours ago, cajun said:

That's why I was trying to find the renderings on BRGOV.   The site is so convoluted that finding meeting minutes for the Planning Commission seems impossible.   

If it were me, I'd try to build something big enough so that the building itself serves as a billboard for Oschner, which means it needs to be placed as physically close to I-10 as they can possibly get.  Something very sleek, very modern, and 6-8 stories at least with the Oschner brand on the building would be ideal.

The building they are vacating is pretty nice looking.  

This is what I was thinking although it seems like being on the new Medical Center Blvd (is that the name? whatever) would have been more impactful as a major player in the new medical center, especially considering that 99% of the population doesn't know what's going on until they put a sign in front of the construction site and having a tall building in a CBD style setting says alot about being impactful in the region. I could see Ochsner being one of those companies that could be a major sponsor for something like a minor-league baseball team. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is exciting news about the potential mixed use development in the Heath district.  Lets just hope the developers think 'outside the box' and not just erect a typical boring structure like many of the other mid-rises in this town.  It would be nice to see a lot of glass (floor to ceiling) incorporated into the building structure; very similar to the photo attached.  The renderings of the multi-story building I saw in another post on this thread made it look as if this would be the case.  Hoping they follow through on this concept. Do we know for sure that there be a residential component to this particular development? 

Dantin Bruce acquires 15 acres in Baton Rouge Health District, plans mixed-use development

The 15-acre property is located between Interstate 10 and Picardy Avenue and is adjacent to property owned by Baton Rouge General Hospital. Part of the property is also adjacent to Our Lady of the Lake’s planned 350,000-square-foot Children’s Hospital, which is currently under construction and scheduled to be completed in the fall of 2018.

“These are two great pieces of land in the heart of the Baton Rouge Health District,” says Brian Dantin. “We felt with all the infrastructure going in and the new roads—and obviously the new hospital—that this was a good piece of real estate.”

The city-parish has plans to develop three key roadways through the area, which will increase access to the Dantin Bruce property and improve connectivity throughout the medical corridor. Dijon Drive will be extended from Essen Lane to Bluebonnet Boulevard, traversing the Dantin Bruce property. A new Midway Road will be constructed, running from an intersection with Dijon south, crossing Summa Avenue and continuing to Picardy Avenue. Mancuso Lane will also be extended from Summa to Dijon.

Dantin says plans for the property have not been finalized but several potential site plans for mixed-use buildings are in the works. None of the construction will be speculative. Rather, Dantin Bruce will build to suit.

“We are going to do multiple different layouts and site plans and see what comes to us,” Dantin says. “There are many uses that work with this property. This health district area is going to be a hot spot for all our potential uses, so we will do a couple of different site plans and see which one will be the best fit.”

https://www.businessreport.com/article/dantin-bruce-acquires-15-acres-baton-rouge-health-district-plans-mixed-use-development

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 12.15.55 PM.png

• Like 4

Could not have said it any better DC Tiger! :thumbsup:

Really like the glass architecture...it will be interesting to see the residential component implemented into this special district with some new street-grid.  ...like you said hopefully it's done right. Some Southgate sized mid-rise towers (8 floors ) would be cool...4 stories at the very least is probably more likely.

On 5/6/2017 at 2:08 PM, richyb83 said:

Could not have said it any better DC Tiger! :thumbsup:

Really like the glass architecture...it will be interesting to see the residential component implemented into this special district with some new street-grid.  ...like you said hopefully it's done right. Some Southgate sized mid-rise towers (8 floors ) would be cool...4 stories at the very least is probably more likely.

Thanks Richy!  I think a majority of my fears, with many of the projects on the table in BR (Health District mixed use/Water District), lie with the recent trends in numerous other developments around town.  Take, for instance, the "new" apartment complex that has gone in behind the Neuromedical Center in Perkins Rowe. Has anyone been back there recently to see this apartment complex I reference?  I shouldnt be so negative, but I find it so frustrating that a development company from Shreveport comes in here, buys the vacant acreage and builds this sub-standard, dumpy apartment complex that has absolutely no character and brings ZERO value to the P Rowe complex.  In my opinion, Perkins Rowe is a one of a kind development in BR and therefore anything built in that complex should be developed with a "higher standard" in mind.  Having lived in Perkins Rowe for many years, I was thinking that a hotel/condo would be a perfect fit for that vacant space.  Ever been to the Omni Hotel/Residences in Ft Worth (see below)?  A friend of mine lives there and that place is FIRST CLASS!  I was so hoping we could get something in Perkins Rowe of similar caliber.  Again, maybe I'm asking too much?!  I realize we dont have the market to build a 30+ story condo/hotel but maybe something similar but on a smaller scale: 10-15 stories. 

Sorry - maybe this post belongs in the Perkins Rowe thread but my point is that I am just hoping that Dantin Bruce will raise my expectations and develop a first class development in the Health District.  Many apologies for this Sunday afternoon rant!!

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 4.32.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 4.35.16 PM.png

• Like 1

The photo below is an example of what I would describe as a perfect fit for the Health District's mixed use development. Retail on first floor, residential on floors 2-8.  Think this style would be perfect for that area.  It's certainly unique and like no other development we have seen in the BR region. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 5.00.19 PM.png

You think like me Tiger. :thumbsup:

The bad luck with Perkins Rowe all started when Parisians was bought out and it just hasn't stopped. I fantasized that a Nordstroms could have went there but... :dontknow: But yeah, for what they built they could have left it an empty field.

36 minutes ago, dan326 said:

You think like me Tiger. :thumbsup:

The bad luck with Perkins Rowe all started when Parisians was bought out and it just hasn't stopped. I fantasized that a Nordstroms could have went there but... :dontknow: But yeah, for what they built they could have left it an empty field.

Dan, you right, buddy!  A Nordstroms would have been awesome!!  An Omni with the first two floors being a Nordstrom and the rest of the high rise being hotel/condo.  That would have been a winner!

• Like 1

Yes indeed y'all!   Perkins Rowe really missed by not having a major anchor on the east end!There is an  special zoning allow buildings a lil' taller (150'ft height limit) in the Bluebonnet/Perkins Rowe  area ; roughly 12 stories  (or a short 14?)

In the ever-growing Health District....Guessing the lush thick green jungle-like canopy of trees at the 10/12 Split could be a thing of the past  with this NEW  large development??

https://www.businessreport.com/article/provident-build-85m-proton-therapy-center-baton-rouge-health-district

Provident to build $85M proton therapy center in Baton Rouge Health District

Provident ProtonCare, a division of Provident Resources Group, is joining forces with local health care providers to bring an $85 million proton therapy center to the Baton Rouge Health District.

Construction on the Louisiana ProtonCare Center is expected to begin next year, and the medical facility is projected to open in the fourth quarter of 2019. It will be built at the junction of Interstates 10 and 12.

Final negotiations for the center’s location in the Baton Rouge Health District are underway and nearing a conclusion.

Edited by richyb83

43 minutes ago, richyb83 said:

Yes indeed y'all!   Perkins Rowe really missed by not having a major anchor on the east end!There is an  special zoning allow buildings a lil' taller (150'ft height limit) in the Bluebonnet/Perkins Rowe  area ; roughly 12 stories  (or a short 14?)

In the ever-growing Health District....Guessing the lush thick green jungle-like canopy of trees at the 10/12 Split could be a thing of the past  with this NEW  large development??

https://www.businessreport.com/article/provident-build-85m-proton-therapy-center-baton-rouge-health-district

Provident to build $85M proton therapy center in Baton Rouge Health District

Provident ProtonCare, a division of Provident Resources Group, is joining forces with local health care providers to bring an $85 million proton therapy center to the Baton Rouge Health District.

Construction on the Louisiana ProtonCare Center is expected to begin next year, and the medical facility is projected to open in the fourth quarter of 2019. It will be built at the junction of Interstates 10 and 12.

Final negotiations for the center’s location in the Baton Rouge Health District are underway and nearing a conclusion.

That's pretty awesome.   Proton therapy center for cancer treatment is not something that a lot of cities have.   

And given the location, it had better be an awesome building. :)

Not sure of the exact property boundary for the Proton Therapy Center..this is just a guess.....like y'all said...prime real estate...needs to be done right; some out the box / futuristic architecture...guessing they would have slender water feature/fountain(s)? / fancy version of the retention ponds popping up at almost every new development.  Wonder how many trees will be kept?

*couldn't get a thicker line to show...question mark = location of actual building

Provident_zpsrymikuuo.png

Edited by richyb83

Would love to see some high-rises in this area. Maybe a little something varried like what they have in Frankfurt. How cool would that be, driving towards a castle of skyscrapers on the interstate?

Something varied like this:

frankfurt-skyline-wallpaper-1.jpg

Edited by mr. bernham
  • Like 1

It would have to be at least 7-8 stories to be visible beyond the trees.   I don't think their budget will cover something that big.   The plot also has a lot of space and a natural tree canopy.   

I would attempt to leave as many trees as possible if I were developing that spot.

With (at best) one way in or out, you it would have to mimic the United Plaza development style sort of like this:  

caputre.png

Not a lot of flexibility with that piece of land.   What it could be good for is large office users and maybe a hotel and some higher end apartments.

Edited by cajun

Nice work once again Cajun...SORRY for my CRAPPY work:rolleyes:; no longer on Window's Microsoft (had RansomWare virus screw up computer couple years ago); got on some other stuff that's MUCH better protected...but i miss being able to Draw up stuff like the old days

Guess with the "new " boulevard they would smash right thru that little agricultural area??

Checked out other Proton Therapy centers across the U.S...& generally not that tall at all...however the architecture could be done up right

Mr Bernham...Love that shot of Frankfurt!  Most American looking skyline in Europe :good: Vertically challenged BR can always dream

• Like 1

• 6 months later...