The Health District

richyb83

Just realized, where is there a large body of water on the Rural Life site? I wonder if they mean that drainage canal behind OLOL? That's pretty generous representation on that rendering if that's the case.

Secondly, if this is at Rural Life, then the only street access would be at Dijon Drive which means Essen wouldn't be hit too bad. They'd need to redo the Dijon/Perkins crappy intersection.

Thanks for the visuals Timelordnerd :shades:

Cajun...judging from the pic...that very well maybe the land btwn Essen & Bluebonnet fronting/south of I-10...you can see the thin-lines/elevation changes that resemble that property. Could that be an One Calais Place extension??(currently a dead-end) that hooks into the new Children's Hosp??  Might that elongated lake be where Ward's Creek is dug-out some more? It's already fairly wide there. The back of the property looks like new roads will built (1)tie into Mancuso Ln connecting Summa Ave  (2) new Midway Ave connecting Summa & Picardy

It would be nice for the original 8-story Summa office tower to come back into the mix!

BTW...Essen is supposed to be widened with the northbound lane... construction was to begin next Summer...but has been delayed until November

http://theadvocate.com/home/7864420-125/dotd-secretary-offers-update-on

Edited by richyb83

If this project was to be built along the interstate, perhaps we can get an exit directly for the hospital...the way they added an exit for the Mall of LA.  It will be necessary in the future anyway...if they intend for this to be a functional medical district.  

Edited by garrett_225

What worries me is the lack of planning that leaders and developers consistently exhibit. I've always dreamed of that land being part of the Medical District. I just didn't expect to see something that looks like it would be on Airline. An exit from I-10 is absolutely necessary to foster growth in this area.

While this is certainly a pretty campus, I would like to see it take up much less land and for the state to build proper infrastructure to mimic the grid between Hennessy and Picardy.

It will tie into the grid around Summa and Hennessy. The parish has built connectors in there and were planning another. I think another rail road crossing is needed in there around the AG building, but there is somewhat of a grid in there now. The facility will probably be just as close to Bluebonnet as Essen. This is also on the same power grid at the Lake and the General, which is one of the most reliable in the metro.

It's the best possible location for a hospital.

I think this facility will use Shaq's namesake, BTW.

Edited by cajun

• 2 months later...

Nice map of the Medical Corridor/a.k.a South Medical District included in lengthy article...Specialty Surgical Center(Bluebonnet just south of Perkins Rd) & new Women's hospital not in boundaries

Medical city?

Woman's Hospital moved to a new $340 million campus in 2012. Our Lady of the Lake recently completed a $190 million addition. Ochsner Medical Center-Baton Rouge is just beginning construction on a 12,683-square-foot health center in Denham Springs, and Baton Rouge General is adding two floors and 64 beds to its patient tower on the Bluebonnet campus. The list goes on.

According to the Louisiana Workforce Commission, "health care and social assistance" employs about 39,000 people in East Baton Rouge Parish alone—more than any other sector—and about 61,000 throughout the region

Today, Baton Rouge's medical corridor lacks a sense of place; a district would try to create a distinct community.

http://www.businessreport.com/article/20140217/BUSINESSREPORT0401/140219776

http://www.businessreport.com/images/print-issue/FebruaryROP/NavigatingtheDistrict.png

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

After reading this thread and doing more research I have come to this conclusion: City leaders are trying to put together a plan for the SBR Medical District, I for one think that when we see this plain in either November/December or April/May we will be able to gauge a better sense of how this area will develop. The new grants give me hope that they are either 1. thinking this out  and  2. (not hope) setting up this area for a sprawling fail. 

I hope that it can use the TMC as a model for development, planning, etc. 

Hey Mr Bernham...really like your  BR Skyline silhouette drawing! And like the future high rises for added density too! You even have the LASM Planetarium on the end!

Yeah the Medical Corridor a.k.a. South Medical District has the potential to be special one day. Still plenty of undeveloped chunks of open land ready for some solid infil!

• Like 1

Hey Mr Bernham...really like your  BR Skyline silhouette drawing! And like the future high rises for added density too! You even have the LASM Planetarium on the end!

Yeah the Medical Corridor a.k.a. South Medical District has the potential to be special one day. Still plenty of undeveloped chunks of open land ready for some solid infil!

It actually was made by a friend from Gamesbids for me. I was surprised with how detailed and realistic it was as well. 

SMD really has the opportunity to begin massive grid connection for the city; if developed properly.

It actually was made by a friend from Gamesbids for me. I was surprised with how detailed and realistic it was as well. 

SMD really has the opportunity to begin massive grid connection for the city; if developed properly.

That will be the only way any type of public transit would be effective as well as efficient. Houston limited parking in TMC and the consequences are a packed Metro and good pedestrian activity.

• Like 1

That will be the only way any type of public transit would be effective as well as efficient. Houston limited parking in TMC and the consequences are a packed Metro and good pedestrian activity.

I agree, I'm in environmental science this year as an extra course and we talked about this. Baton Rouge COULD have good transportation, but the city is too sprawled for it to work.

I agree, I'm in environmental science this year as an extra course and we talked about this. Baton Rouge COULD have good transportation, but the city is too sprawled for it to work.

No it's not. That is a myth. Even in Houston outside of the beltway I see/saw buses with plenty of people ready to board. We have had a terrible transit authority in CATS for decades. They need to stop pocketing funding, get rid of wasteful positions, and supply the metro with adequate transit options, and that includes other parishes as well. NORTA in New Orleans and JeT in Jefferson Parish have similar issues with their cooperation. It's pathetic that a metro of nearly 1 million people have such shabby transit options.

No it's not. That is a myth. Even in Houston outside of the beltway I see/saw buses with plenty of people ready to board. We have had a terrible transit authority in CATS for decades. They need to stop pocketing funding, get rid of wasteful positions, and supply the metro with adequate transit options, and that includes other parishes as well. NORTA in New Orleans and JeT in Jefferson Parish have similar issues with their cooperation. It's pathetic that a metro of nearly 1 million people have such shabby transit options.

Well I guess I can't really disagree with this...

You're right. I've seen the same thing in DC. Crowds form even at the most far-flung metro stops. 

The nature of job centers also play a role. In Baton Rouge parking at work is no problem, in DC it's much harder, as well as New Orleans. More jobs coming online downtown and other inner city neighborhoods are going to change some commute patterns.

The nature of job centers also play a role. In Baton Rouge parking at work is no problem, in DC it's much harder, as well as New Orleans. More jobs coming online downtown and other inner city neighborhoods are going to change some commute patterns.

Density still plays a huge role. If the outer areas could become more dense then I could easily see the transportation here having much greater demand.

The one center the sticks out in my mind is of course the SMD...if plans are successful then I could see it becoming very dense and public transportation being used much more. 

Density still plays a huge role. If the outer areas could become more dense then I could easily see the transportation here having much greater demand.

The one center the sticks out in my mind is of course the SMD...if plans are successful then I could see it becoming very dense and public transportation being used much more. 

I haven't seen any plans for SMD along those lines, they likely won't follow the TMC model to a "T."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pennington director discusses funding needs, south Baton Rouge health district

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportPM&date=20141013

Is this now South BR's Health District? FuturEBR named it South Medical District...originally called the Medical Corridor....anyway a lot of future development set to take place...

http://www.brhealthdistrict.org/

Much of Baton Rouge’s health care infrastructure and economy are concentrated along an unofficial and unorganized medical corridor—Essen, Bluebonnet, Perkins, I-10. Major health care employers and hospitals, educational institutions, destination shopping, dining, parks, and cherished neighborhoods—this busy hub has it all. Except a cohesive plan.

The map does not include the Neuro-Medical Center at Perkins Rowe or the Surgical Specialty Center just to the south on Blubonnet(off bottom of pic)...the new Children's Hospital is supposed to be along I-10 btwn Essen & Bluebonnet; but not sure if it's in the area that's already been cleared or the wooded area to the right?

1408544014024_zps4c0c9aa9.jpg

This entire district will have a tough time becoming walkable due to Essen Ln. The best bet is for the immediate area around OLOL, with more density in offices, hotels, and apartments, that area can thrive. South of Essen will be a bit tougher, I think that's where reliable transportation will play a big role. The proposed light-rail should be routed from Dijon to Henessey/Summa.

The proposed (Shaq) Childrens Hospital could be a great catalyst for urban style development in this district, I'm not a fan of the current suburban style campus design and goes against the future of what this could be.

• Like 1