The Health District

richyb83

On 2/14/2021 at 5:13 PM, richyb83 said:

More Burdens for the gardens....CLEAN UP PLEASE! ""article says like a "giant toilet flush"  :angry: after the heavy rains the other day.

New video shows litter washing into Baton Rouge watershed

Photographer Marie Constantin, who over the past year has single-handedly launched a citizen campaign to clean up the litter that flows from drainage canals into creeks, bayous and beyond, recorded a video around midday Thursday of stormwater carrying litter down Ward’s Creek and into an area of low-lying wetlands at the LSU Burden Gardens.

“It was like watching a Mardi Gras parade of Styrofoam cups,” says Constantin, who filmed the video near Concord Estates. “Then, I ran over to Burden and it was a floating, massive mess and stuff was entering there.”

Ward’s Creek naturally drains into the wetlands at Burden, bringing literally tons of discarded bottles, cans, Styrofoam cups and other trash in its wake, as detailed in a recent cover story in Business Report.

A heavy rain, like Thursday morning’s, exacerbates the problem, serving as what Constantin compares to a “massive toilet flush.”

https://www.businessreport.com/business/new-video-shows-litter-washing-into-watershed

Litter flows into Baton Rouge wetland from untreated stormwater in Ward Creek

90% chance that's from the flood 5 years ago and no one noticed until recently.

• 2 months later...

THEY NOTICED!   The ribbon of dark green canopy looks cool on Google Earth aerials...have to preserve this urban watershed.   Wish  bike trails would be built along Bayou Duplantier(that flows into Ward's Creek) ..connecting LSU/University Lake to Perkins Community Park/ Medical Corridor (still cant get used to Health District)....

Effort to clean up Baton Rouge watershed scores small victory in Legislature

https://www.businessreport.com/politics/effort-to-clean-up-baton-rouge-watershed-scores-small-victory-in-legislature

https://s25562.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Trash-Burden-Wetland-1-.jpg

EYESORE: This collection of some 81 tons of garbage from homes and vehicles across south Baton Rouge traveled along Wards Creek before settling on property in a wooded area off Essen Lane near the LSU Burden Museum and Gardens

Edited by richyb83

14 hours ago, richyb83 said:

How?  Click on that small BOX Bottom Left....updated Satellite shows it

On my screen it's a map of Dawson Ball field in Wisconsin. :lol:

Edited by cajun
  • Haha 1

Looks like  Dawson Park wont be ready May 10th lololol....that's what the billboard said...prolly some delays

Every new  residential & new office buildings should have a minimal of 4 floors. Some density; A City within a City in the Health District

IMG_1510.thumb.jpg.1bf23c216e1b3f3f68b185324425c2f2.jpg

On 5/4/2021 at 10:21 PM, richyb83 said:

Looks like  Dawson Park wont be ready May 10th lololol....that's what the billboard said...prolly some delays

Every new  residential & new office buildings should have a minimal of 4 floors. Some density; A City within a City in the Health District

IMG_1510.thumb.jpg.1bf23c216e1b3f3f68b185324425c2f2.jpg

Given that so little of the the remaining developable land is outside of the flood zone, they not only need to increase density of housing in Baton Rouge, but they need to also reduce the width of the standard middle class suburban lot size to 45'-50'.     Make them a little deeper if they need to make space for a yard and pool, but people need to be encouraged to build UP and not out.  

Definitely only after I build my house though.  :)

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, cajun said:

Given that so little of the the remaining developable land is outside of the flood zone, they not only need to increase density of housing in Baton Rouge, but they need to also reduce the width of the standard middle class suburban lot size to 45'-50'.     Make them a little deeper if they need to make space for a yard and pool, but people need to be encouraged to build UP and not out.  

Definitely only after I build my house though.  :)

Lol! I was thinking the same thing.

Definitely only after I build my house though.  [emoji4]
Do you think an urban growth boundary would have any popularity?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

On 5/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, Antrell Williams said:

Do you think an urban growth boundary would have any popularity?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

No probably not.  I do support state or local groups buying large swaths of land for nature/forest preserves though.  In fact a large park or three would be welcome in the Baton Rouge-New Orleans-Hammond area.   

I actually think SE Louisiana will eventually be one giant city/suburban area between Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and the northshore.    Outside of the swamps or lakes, you won't see much of a difference in the pattern of development.  And that honestly won't be a bad thing if we can curtail flooding and build up alternative means of transport (rail in particular).   But I think the default lot size for single family homes should be 46' x 115', which should put the home/lot sizes pretty close to what is available in some areas in Baton Rouge (Hidden Ridge, for instance).   Must include sidewalks, subsurface drainage, and underground utilities - which is hard to do in unincorporated areas with no sewer.    More distant areas should default to 60'x125', which is closer to Woodridge.    

Edited by cajun

• 1 year later...

Finally!  Build the   new roads!   Not sure WHY  Midway is called a  "Boulevard" on this map?   MoveEBR said it was only 2-lanes. It's actually called Midway Drive.  Nice raised bike-lanes and sidewalks.

New cut-through between busy Bluebonnet and Essen roads near hospitals is under construction

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_ecf487f0-ed92-11ec-9bbf-7b079fab54b4.html

061722 Midway Blvd road project map

https://movebr.brla.gov/form/constantin-midway-bluebonnet-project-page

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Need to see some renderings....more of the boring 3 story stuff like Lakes at Millerville & Lakes at Bluebonnet?   Not like the 4 story Dawson Commons near BR General?

Picardy land sold for $6.2 million, apartments to be built on site

• https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/picardy-land-sold-for-62-million-apartments-to-be-built/article_3b21db70-2a65-11ee-a26c-4f22aebb9a59.html
  •  

• A 6.4-acre tract of land on Picardy Avenue has been sold to a Hammond development company that plans to build a 232-unit apartment complex on the site.

The Heights at Picardy LLC bought the land for $6.2 million in a deal that was filed Friday with the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court’s office. The seller was WCB Realty Investments LLC, which was set up by Baton Rouge developer Mike Wampold.

The Heights at Picardy is the name that the Stoa Group plans to call the apartment complex that will be built at 8340 Picardy Ave. The plan is to build a 232-unit development, with one- and two-bedroom apartments spread across four buildings. Emily Phelps, a spokeswoman for Stoa Group, said the plan is to for construction of The Heights at Picardy to be underway by the end of the year.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 12:52 AM, richyb83 said:

Need to see some renderings....more of the boring 3 story stuff like Lakes at Millerville & Lakes at Bluebonnet?   Not like the 4 story Dawson Commons near BR General?

Picardy land sold for $6.2 million, apartments to be built on site

• https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/picardy-land-sold-for-62-million-apartments-to-be-built/article_3b21db70-2a65-11ee-a26c-4f22aebb9a59.html
  •  

• A 6.4-acre tract of land on Picardy Avenue has been sold to a Hammond development company that plans to build a 232-unit apartment complex on the site.

The Heights at Picardy LLC bought the land for $6.2 million in a deal that was filed Friday with the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court’s office. The seller was WCB Realty Investments LLC, which was set up by Baton Rouge developer Mike Wampold.

The Heights at Picardy is the name that the Stoa Group plans to call the apartment complex that will be built at 8340 Picardy Ave. The plan is to build a 232-unit development, with one- and two-bedroom apartments spread across four buildings. Emily Phelps, a spokeswoman for Stoa Group, said the plan is to for construction of The Heights at Picardy to be underway by the end of the year.

I'd think it's 4 stories @ aprx 55 units a building?

Edited by dan326
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Good call Dan 326...something about these new 4 story buildings looking better than all of the 3 story ones.

419707428_188109557727256_52950857625342

From the 5th floor of the Children's Hospital

The Marriott Hotel barely visible above the tree-line looking down the winding Constantin Boulevard

IMG_5252.thumb.jpg.d8f14c067221e68662ef2ad68909bcdd.jpg

Pardon the glare from the window

IMG_5253.thumb.jpg.41ab2057c3c20dfb66dc23b4c2b23ea7.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...