From what I hear...

GRDadof3

just about every apartment project downtown is full and/or has a waiting list. So why no new apartment projects being proposed? Other than the two on South Division (old RHD Tires), I'm not hearing much. Something at 100 Commerce, maybe, but other than that...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just about every apartment project downtown is full and/or has a waiting list. So why no new apartment projects being proposed? Other than the two on South Division (old RHD Tires), I'm not hearing much. Something at 100 Commerce, maybe, but other than that...

you tried to get a loan lately...? from a bank...? its not too cool out there...

The former New Mertens Hotel at 35 Oakes seemed like an ideal candidate, but it looks like Rockford, etc. is looking to turn it into more GRid70-like office space instead. I'm sure it costs less than renovating into apts...but it would be nice to see more apts.

Here's an article on a the explosion of apts in downtown Milwaukee (via Andy Guy, http://twitter.com/#!/greatlakesguy). Many young professionals there now have jobs in suburban office parks that they commute to from their downtown apts, so they can be closer to the cool neighborhoods w/lots of entertainment options.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/127075593.html The demand appears to be there in Milwaukee, and developers and the city are having to get creative with the financing to get the projects completed. Perhaps that bad lending environment is what is holding up more projects in downtown GR?

Well what the heck. I thought a bunch of local banks were trying to help small businesses and "entrepreneurs." All talk apparently?

Seriously Jeff-Most developers cannot borrow enough to get a pack of gum right now. I cannot believe how tough it is out there. My business tried to get a loan that was backed by an individual (not me!) that had a net worth of over $6Million and a business that had only $500K in total debt, assets of over $10 Million and generated over $12 Million in annual sales. The application was for a $250K loan. Not one bank would even consider it.

Well what the heck. I thought a bunch of local banks were trying to help small businesses and "entrepreneurs." All talk apparently?

Yeah, that's kinda funny...seems that it all comes down to 'definitions' of 'trying' and 'help' and 'small' and 'business' and 'entrepreneurs'...turns out underwriters these days think those things are very different than what you or I might...

It's not good.

Maybe they should try Credit Unions. I sit on the board of one and I know for a fact they are looking to lend money to Individuals and Companies. As far as rentals go, when I lived in Icon on Bond that place was always filled and had a waiting list most of the time.

Archived