Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Antrell Williams

Baton Rouge Streetcar

23 posts in this topic

Despite searching for information on this topic, I was never aware Baton Rouge had a streetcar system. I was under the impression that we should have had one before the car was in heavy use. Our city did have a streetcar system, and one that was more impressive than what New Orleans operates today. (ok maybe a slight exaggeration)

BatonRougeStreetcar.com

http://theleif.org/tools/baton-rouge-streetcar-map.php

Just for fun:

http://theleif.org/me/baton-rouge-plan.php

1 person likes this

Interesting history lesson...thanks for the research!

Neat pic. It's a shame they had to dismantle it.

Just for fun at 3am.

What I would like to see, what do you think?

6339985598_70f8a066ec_b.jpg

6339252531_83f12df189_b.jpg

Green: Mid-City/Independence Park line

Blue: Nicholson/LSU-South Medical District Line

Red: City Park line

Very ambitious and out-there, but what the heck...

1 person likes this

Cool idea for sure. :thumsups: But perhaps another configuration could have the blue Acadian line meet the green Government line, and have the red line go all the way down Highland instead and extend down along Brightside.

2 people like this

The current line doens't run on Acadian, and that would minimize the possibility for LSU students to use it since it sits right outside campus. It would be a good idea, I just like the idea of a streetcar running through City Park, on E State @ Highland, by the houses and lake on Dalrymple, and on the neutral ground on Park Ave. Another idea would to have one on Perkins between Park Ave and Acadian/Stanford.

Besides it sounding pretty and all, anyone think this would work?

What do you think about the route I chose through the Medical District? I always thought it was-stupid, for lack of a better term, to skip both hospitals along the route. A neutral ground could be built along Bluebonnet north of the train tracks.

Edited by Antrell Williams
1 person likes this

I think these are some cool ideas...sometimes you have to think outside-the-box :fun:

2 people like this

Just for fun at 3am.

What I would like to see, what do you think?

Good idea, but I'd use North Blvd in place of Government (and turn government into a two lane road with parallel spaces like Magazine Street.

Good idea, but I'd use North Blvd in place of Government (and turn government into a two lane road with parallel spaces like Magazine Street.

The problem with North Blvd is the construction, although I'd like it too, especially once it passes under I-110. Do you mean all of Government or just downtown, I don't see that feasible because of the way everything is set back. A few good developments would help but nothing like Magazine St. Many of the properties on North Blvd are shabby too. Government already has an established distinct neighborhood, a school, and being able to end at Independence Blvd while still being close enough to BRCC. Maybe it could turn down East Blvd, and head down North Blvd once it passes under I-110 and end at 3rd or Lafayette St and extend the Nicholson Dr line through St. Louis to meet on North Blvd. I actually like that idea better.

The blogger makes a good point but I'd rather see a shameless copy of Houston's more modem system (that times traffic lights sound a moving train) than what exists in New Orleans.

Me too. St. Charles car can get slowed down pretty easily in the CBD and on Carondolet.

With the crime being so bad in Baton Rouge, you probably will need a police officer on each train.  Just think about the people that could get robbed on the train. 

With the crime being so bad in Baton Rouge, you probably will need a police officer on each train.  Just think about the people that could get robbed on the train. 

?

I like Houston's Light-rail system along Main Street....don't have those pics right now...they are still on my old computer...got to get back from my brother

With the crime being so bad in Baton Rouge, you probably will need a police officer on each train. Just think about the people that could get robbed on the train.

Yeah that's a tough stigma to overcome. Baton Rouge PD has a reputation for being incompetent and ineffective. The city has a high crime rate and a mayor that doesn't seem to care one way or another about it. The police and city leadership deserve all the scrutiny and anger that they have so well earned over the years. Crime is definately holding the city back....efforts to improve parts of town will go wasted without getting crime under control.

I think I've seen at least a dozen fights on the DC metro. I almost got into a fight once on the Houston metro once. Some tried to bring his bike on a packed train outside of Reliant and was furious that no one could move spare an inch. The passengers just pushed him back onto the platform and a cop told him to get lost.

Nothing compares to what I've seen on MARTA though....especially on that leg btw downtown and the airport.

Needless to say, rail based transit is going to require significant security upgrades.

Edited by cajun

You mean like the streetcars in New Orleans with a similar crime rate? I've never been robbed.

Yeah that's a tough stigma to overcome. Baton Rouge PD has a reputation for being incompetent and ineffective. The city has a high crime rate and a mayor that doesn't seem to care one way or another about it. The police and city leadership deserve all the scrutiny and anger that they have so well earned over the years. Crime is definately holding the city back....efforts to improve parts of town will go wasted without getting crime under control.

I think I've seen at least a dozen fights on the DC metro. I almost got into a fight once on the Houston metro once. Some tried to bring his bike on a packed train outside of Reliant and was furious that no one could move spare an inch. The passengers just pushed him back onto the platform and a cop told him to get lost.

Nothing compares to what I've seen on MARTA though....especially on that leg btw downtown and the airport.

Needless to say, rail based transit is going to require significant security upgrades.

The Metro in Houston, particularly the section through TMC is my favorite. They limited parking in the district which causes packed cars at rush hour.

Houston's metro did well with their footprint through the more dense parts of town.

They didn't use any federal funding until they were force fed funds in 2009. I'm honestly worried about their sustainability now....if they start expanding too fast without the passengers to support the new routes.

It could have been the rail transit icon for rail skeptics. It still can be.

Edited by cajun

The East line should do very well. The Uptown (I think it's called the University line) has potential as well.