City looking for development proposals for Fulton & Ionia surface lot - 22 Ottawa

GRDadof3

• GRDadof3 changed the title to City looking for development proposals for Fulton & Ionia surface lot - 22 Ottawa

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

CWD re-upped their option on this property at 22 Ottawa (the "wedge" it's called by the city) and are engaging with two architecture firms to unveil plans in the next few months, with plans to close buy the end of 2017. 

It's about the size of the Hinman property nearby right? I know it might be very ambitious in this market but it'd be nice to see if they could put something tall there too and add on to the parking ramp the same way.

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

CWD re-upped their option on this property at 22 Ottawa (the "wedge" it's called by the city) and are engaging with two architecture firms to unveil plans in the next few months, with plans to close buy the end of 2017. 

Every day when I'm going through Fulton (especially with the 20 East Fulton coming along) I think about how that street is really start to feel energized. I imagine with the addition of the Hinman project and MAYBE 22 Ottawa, it will REALLY feel like a vibrant area. If only they could manage to do something with the Police Department. (And maybe the parking lot owned by Park Church and the other owned by St. C's. haha. 

10 hours ago, WMrapids said:

It's about the size of the Hinman property nearby right? I know it might be very ambitious in this market but it'd be nice to see if they could put something tall there too and add on to the parking ramp the same way.

I just don't think the demand is there for them to justify something tall. (Certainly not the parking)

4 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I just don't think the demand is there for them to justify something tall. (Certainly not the parking)

Is there even demand of another class A office building?  Unless there is someone out there they are trying to woo specifically for that site.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, but I'm skeptical.  Shouldn't CWD be trying to fill Calder Plaza?

1 minute ago, mpchicago said:

Is there even demand of another class A office building?  Unless there is someone out there they are trying to woo specifically for that site.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, but I'm skeptical.  Shouldn't CWD be trying to fill Calder Plaza?

They've upped their option on it.  There's no telling if they are even thinking of Class A office space.  From what I can tell CWD is pretty damn strategic in how they execute things.  I can't imagine them intentionally cannibalizing their own business.  Amway needs to get off it's tuckus and do something with their big ass lot at Fulton and Market.  Perhaps a mixed use lined building that utilitizes the river front, and contains a couple thousand parking spaces within?  Something like that could help reignite the demand for that class A space.

5 hours ago, MJLO said:

They've upped their option on it.  There's no telling if they are even thinking of Class A office space.  From what I can tell CWD is pretty damn strategic in how they execute things.  I can't imagine them intentionally cannibalizing their own business.  Amway needs to get off it's tuckus and do something with their big ass lot at Fulton and Market.  Perhaps a mixed use lined building that utilitizes the river front, and contains a couple thousand parking spaces within?  Something like that could help reignite the demand for that class A space.

You are correct, no one said anything about class A office space, but another hotel, more apartments?   I think someone across the street is trying to cover that.   I guess we will see in the next few months.  

That's a huge parcel Amway owns on the river.  Will we see something proposed there soon, or will in be another 15 years?  I don't know.

11 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Well if they closed on the lot in late 2017, they wouldn't be able to deliver anything until 2020. If long-term trends continue and the slowdown predicted in 2018 doesn't last very long (I don't think it will), then 2020 should be good timing. I think the occupancy rate of good class A space downtown is really low? Calder Plaza building was almost class B it was so outdated, from what I remember.

6 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Well if they closed on the lot in late 2017, they wouldn't be able to deliver anything until 2020. If long-term trends continue and the slowdown predicted in 2018 doesn't last very long (I don't think it will), then 2020 should be good timing. I think the occupancy rate of good class A space downtown is really low? Calder Plaza building was almost class B it was so outdated, from what I remember.

Yes, Calder was class B, but CWD is trying to make it class A again.

3 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Yes, Calder was class B, but CWD is trying to make it class A again.

Drive by the Calder Plaza building at night or in the early morning. They've done a fantastic job. Will be interesting to see it when it is 100% complete. It reall looks like Class A space. 

Joe

I would love to see a 40+ story tower here.  That and any future development with the Amway site would make Fulton awesome.  How difficult would it be to add to the existing parking structure at Ottawa and Fulton?  It seems like it's probably not going anywhere soon, why not add 10+ stories of parking if possible instead of building all these five story garages all over downtown.

15 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I would love to see a 40+ story tower here.  That and any future development with the Amway site would make Fulton awesome.  How difficult would it be to add to the existing parking structure at Ottawa and Fulton?  It seems like it's probably not going anywhere soon, why not add 10+ stories of parking if possible instead of building all these five story garages all over downtown.

I have to imagine that would be a massive amount of weight that the structure could not handle. I do agree though, if we're going to add parking structures, overbuild. 

Like the ramp they are building at the warner tower site, is that built for the number of spots necessary based on the size of the building? The city should help them overbuild by 100-200 spots. I think they need to make this a priority.

It seems their strategy is to build surface lots on the fringes. I don't think this is wise planning. 

Joe

Archived