Twelve Twelve - 312 units | 23 fl | ~260 ft | Sold Out

MTSUBlueraider86

Friends,

Here is what I just posted on my Creating Places blog site.

WW

As I ponder what might be Nashville's most underrated building of 250 feet or more (I'm strongly leaning toward the SunTrust Building on the northwest corner of Fourth and Church) while simultaneously listen to Face the Nation host Bob Schieffer brilliantly reference Herman Melville, here are some random thoughts regarding the exterior design of the residential tower (shown below) local developer Ray Hensler plans for the Gulch.

First, let me commend Hensler for his choice of Hastings Architecture Associates. With quality buildings such as Roundabout Plaza, SunTrust Plaza and Terrazzo as part of the firm's portfolio, HAA submits very respectable work — and buildings that have added nicely to Nashville's skyline.

As to this building (for which Hensler has yet to reveal a name), its color scheme and well-defined base are highlights. I've yet to talk to Ray about the exterior materials (the rendering does not reveal them), but it appears blue glass will be a highlight — and I like that. The color palette suggests a nod to the aforementioned Roundabout Plaza (with its handsome blues and grays). Very tasteful.

On the subject of shape, note how the corner most visible in this rendering (I'm fairly certain that is the corner that will address the northwest corner of the 12th Avenue and Laurel Street intersection) is slightly extended, offering a nice contrast to the larger portion of the building's south facade. In addition, the tower showcases a well-defined base, while avoiding the appearance of a more conventional (and, typically, less attractive) "pedestal building." Another nice touch: minimal use (if any) of concrete. In contrast, it seems the Omni will have excessive exterior concrete. In fact, and if we're so lucky, Hensler and Hastings might be using some limestone and/or granite for the building, much like HAA did in concert with Zeitlin Architects for Terrazzo.

However, and somewhat disappointingly, the building apparently lacks a cap (in fairness, sometimes images of this type don't fully reveal all exterior design elements). Rarely does a skyscraper (or any building, for that matter) achieve 100 percent design success without some type of roof-top element, whether a spire, parapet, contrasting material/color, sign, etc.

Also, the tower has balconies extending from its face, a design element that rarely works. I live in a building with extending balconies and while my balcony affords me nice views of Nashville's built form, such balconies are can mar an otherwise attractive skyscraper. In contrast, Hensler's classy Adelicia features inset balconies, giving that building a very clean, streamlined look.

Lastly, I like the tower's height, as it is neither excessive nor insufficient for its site. I roughly estimate the building to rise between 250 and 260 feet, which should work quite well on its high-perched Gulch lot. For contrast, consider the building will sit on land that is elevated a minimum of 40 feet above the site of Icon in the Gulch, which rises approximately 251 feet, according to Emporis. Very simply, those pedestrians standing at the 11th and 12th avenues split and looking north toward the Hensler tower will, indeed, be impressed — but not overwhelmed.

If this rendering and Hastings' previous work are indications, I anticipate Hensler's tower to earn at least a B-plus grade for its exterior design. And an A-minus is not out of the question.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is this development wishful thinking, or is it going to happen? I had not seen much about this until about a week ago. I really like the design of the building and think it would work great in that area. I would be very happy if the gulch area keeps developing like it has. If only West End Summit would get built, then Nashville would almost have some good density even in the middle of downtown and west end

• 6 months later...

Do we know anything about how the project will be staged or built? From what I understand the two share a pedestal with the Eakin office tower deferred until later, correct? If so, will they split the cost of the base and leave a hole for the later office building? Do we have any additional renderings or information on the Hensler piece? I searched around and could only find Nashville Post stuff.   

• 2 weeks later...

I see the crane from a distance and wonder if that will be the max height of the new building? Is the crane positioned at that height initially for development and will be raised as the building progresses? It's hard to tell the height from a distance.

• 3 months later...

Archived