Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gorath

Grand Rapids Brewing Co.

17 posts in this topic

Mark Sellers now owns the rights to the Grand Rapids Brewing Co.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/09/grand_rapids_brewing_co_to_be.html

Any thoughts on where this could go. From the Mlive comments section there seems to be support for the west side (Bridge street). However in the past the city has been against issuing more liqueur licensees in that area of Bridge. I myself don't agree with the city and think a brewpub or microbrewery is just what the area could use.

Mark Sellers now owns the rights to the Grand Rapids Brewing Co.

http://www.mlive.com...g_co_to_be.html

Any thoughts on where this could go. From the Mlive comments section there seems to be support for the west side (Bridge street). However in the past the city has been against issuing more liqueur licensees in that area of Bridge. I myself don't agree with the city and think a brewpub or microbrewery is just what the area could use.

They said in an "historic" building on their Facebook wall.

I like that the GRBC name will still be prevalent in town.  I'm looking forward to this.

Me too. The brand is in good hands. I know Sellers owns McFadden's. Anyone think that could be converted into Grand Rapids Brewing Company?

Personally, I think it'll land somewhere in the arena district.

Joe

Me too. The brand is in good hands. I know Sellers owns McFadden's. Anyone think that could be converted into Grand Rapids Brewing Company?

Personally, I think it'll land somewhere in the arena district.

Joe

The sale included all the brewmaking equipment. Would that fit in McFaddens? I guess Hopcat has the same..

I hope this revives the plan for the building next to Pyramid Scheme (Beatnik Brewing).

That would be nice, and would give Sellers four bars right across the street from each other.

Joe

The sale included all the brewmaking equipment. Would that fit in McFaddens? I guess Hopcat has the same..

I hope this revives the plan for the building next to Pyramid Scheme (Beatnik Brewing).

I'd like to say the rooftop restaurant that 38 Commerce was designed to include would be cool, but I'm not sure the brewmaking equipment would really work there.

I'd like to say the rooftop restaurant that 38 Commerce was designed to include would be cool, but I'm not sure the brewmaking equipment would really work there.

I don't know if this has changed, but the rooftop restaurant at 38 was actually restaurant space on the ground floor with elevator access to the roof, where it would just be dining (and maybe a bar). That was the talk back when it was under construction.

Here's a picture of the "Rhineland castle" Chris mentioned in his article. Too bad it's gone.

post-22892-0-74815200-1315338387_thumb.p

And replaced with a really crappy looking building. Makes you wonder What were they thinking?! :)

Joe

And replaced with a really crappy looking building. Makes you wonder What were they thinking?! :)

Joe

They were caught up in the Zeitgeist (spirit of the age) I suppose. Back when clients went for olive green brick and concrete bunkers because they were on trend and architects were eager to give it to them. Unfortunately for them, current generations do not share the same taste.

(Personally, I think that the State Building is one of the more attractive of the urban-renewal buildings. ...certainly beats the Federal and Frey Buildings.)

It'll be at a proven location: The old Founders.

http://www.mlive.com...ing_locati.html

I like that he's branching afar from Commerce, and putting some extra life back into North Monroe. Face it, the old place had its charms. And according to the article, he's going to move the wheelchair ramp and put in a porch in front. Nice.

Edited by RegalTDP

Isn't the ramp built in the public right a way? I'd be shocked if the city gave a variance for a porch to be built here. Variance for a ramp, sure. For stairs, sure. But a porch, as in a permanent structure kind of porch? And does the HPC have a say?

Other then that it's a great location.

Edited by Gorath

Interesting little brushup going on. Mlive is reporting that Grand Rapids Brewing Company is on hold indefinitely. There is an interesting quote at the end:

"I’m not sure where or when it’s happening. It’s all uncertain,” Sellers said. “We’re not going into the Brass Works (building).”

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/01/grand_rapids_brewing_co_reopen.html

... followed by an interesting post on Facebook:

Grand Rapids Brewing Company

To correct certain articles that have appeared in recent days -- the new location of GR Brewing Co is yet undetermined. We will update you when we're ready to announce our location and opening date.

Problems with coming to terms on the space? Bad reporting? Both? Found this interesting.

I'd love to see GR Brewing Company locate closer to Founders. Two breweries within stumbling distance. :)

Joe

Maybe there was a problem with the planned porch?

Isn't the ramp built in the public right a way? I'd be shocked if the city gave a variance for a porch to be built here. Variance for a ramp, sure. For stairs, sure. But a porch, as in a permanent structure kind of porch? And does the HPC have a say? Other then that it's a great location.
Edited by RegalTDP