Filming in Charlotte

ah59396

FWIW, last Friday I was having lunch by Concord Mills and there must have been at least 10 long trailers and several shorter all-in-one trucks passing that was most definitely for film equipment. Saw everything from equipment trucks to mobile actor trailers with stars on them. They were headed away from I-85 on Concord Mills Blvd (toward Derita Rd).

I have no idea what they were for, but obviously for something serious. There was a ton of support trucks so it wasn't some podunk commercial.

^ Its a film, I know one of the grips father, trying to find out what though.

Edit - Sleepy Hollow, an HBO series, starts filming next month or so.  That should be the general area, unless there is another film/show as well, imdb has the pilot as having filmed in Salisbury.

Edited by nowensone

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2013/09/13/charlotte-becomes-bristol-south.html

This article highlights a nice win for Charlotte.  I highly doubt we would ever see ESPN leave the NYC market (their Bristol campus) but having a secondary presence in the southeast is awesome.  Would like to see an ESPN Zone uptown next to the HOF.  

Add to that the fact that SPEED has now become a subsidiary of the new monster FOX Sports 1, and Charlotte is developing quite a nice hub for sports broadcasting!  I was actually watching Fox Sports Live yesterday and they were discussing NASCAR cheating the and LA broadcasters stated "let's go live to our Charlotte expert panel for further discussion...".  They have a nice looking set.

• 3 weeks later...

No mention of HBO's Eastbound and Down being filmed (partly) in Charlotte as well as set in Charlotte?

The bulk of the show is filmed in Wilmington, but Kenny (Effing) Powers lives in Charlotte this season. Lot of good Uptown shots in the first episode.

Edited by WesleyHeightsWay

• 4 weeks later...

^ its ironic that the one show that is currently set in Charlotte, Eastbound and Down, is essentially a parody of post-agricultural rednecks. Despite the theme they manage to treat Charlotte fairly (Great Wolf Lodge episode aside)

Banshee (I believe) is filming today on McDonald ave in Dilworth. It appears to be a very heavy operation.

Edit: probably not Banshee. obsthisjustin.blogspot.com/2013/10/2-more-movies-shooting-in-charlotte-and.html

Edited by kermit

• 1 month later...

"Novice" is a USA Network show and they were shooting the pilot.  The white house on that Park Rd. roundabout is the parents' house, apparently. They were still shooting well past dark when I was over there on Friday night, and there was supposed to be a big scene with emergency vehicles Saturday morning.

^ plus a significant concentration of skilled film crews thanks, in part, to the presence of pro-wrestling, NASCAR, Raycom, Hornets, Panthers, Bobcats, ESPNU as well as a Charlotte being a center of regional commercial production.

EDIT: and PTL

Edited by kermit

^ plus a significant concentration of skilled film crews thanks, in part, to the presence of pro-wrestling, NASCAR, Raycom, Hornets, Panthers, Bobcats, ESPNU as well as a Charlotte being a center of regional commercial production.

EDIT: and PTL

I never realized anything pro-wrestling related was based in Charlotte. It thought they were all up in Stamford, CT - the city of Jerry Springer and WWE.

The state is giving tax incentives to film companies, and Charlotte is a central location where projects can shoot big city scenes, neighborhood scenes, and drive a short distance to mountain scenes.

I also would add it's been a few years of lobbying and successful productions here which is not so much "all of the sudden" in my mind as a natural building of the sector.

Of course as noted if depending on the future of the tax incentives it's poised to either grow significantly here or fizzle out as an occasional quirk in the scene.

Edited by Urbanity

Novice is now shooting on Central Avenue in that strip where Soul and the vintage stores are. They've transformed almost every storefront with neon signs in Korean lettering and turned Twenty-Two into a Korean video store and Soul into a Korean karaoke place. With all the neon lit up it actually looks really cool and makes me wish those businesses had their own neon to light up every night.