Filming in Charlotte

ah59396

Yesterday something fairly major-looking was being filmed inside the old firehouse at 5th and Graham uptown. The windows were all rigged with different reflectors and colored films and there was plenty of crew milling around. Anyone know what it is?

I see in the O today that Banshee was filming farther up Graham St. around 28th, but it seemed like they would mention it if there was shooting in a much more prominent location uptown.

For an un-named new reality TV show being put on by Fox. I walked by and asked the construction crew a couple of weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

^That's awesome news! I heard last week about the SEC/ESPN partnership on the channel and had wondered if any of the programming would be based in Charlotte since ESPNU is here. Looks to be the case. With the Speed Channel morphing into Fox Sports 1 here, it looks like Charlotte is starting to build it's own sports television media cluster. 

Just looking at the Charlotte Film commission listing of current productions and was impressed.

Obviously the new season of Homeland is listed , but there is also an independent movie, Careful What You WIsh For with Dermont Mulroney in Pre-Production here as well. Edit - Just saw that it's also going to star one of the Jonas Brothers. Source: Variety.

Also an an episode of the Cinemax show Banshee in currently filming in Charlotte.

Finally a pilot for a new series on Fox, Sleepy Hollow, is having its post-production work here!

Edited by Urbanity

Interesting development that the effort to repeal the tax incentives for the Film industry in Charlotte faces difficulty if not DOA.  Apparently Legislature Leader Thom Tillis is against the repeal which I did not know.

I also didn't know that Iron Man 3 had some production in Charlotte!

I think this is great news for teh state and could play a role in teh City Council decision on Eastland.

Full (3-4 paragraph)  article courtesy of CBJ http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2013/04/22/credits-rolling-on-bill-to-strip-nc.html

It appears the bill's authors are complaining about the incentives for out-of-state companies, though that seems a bit misguided if they are spending in-state, which for the film industry is in balance heavily an on-site/local expenditure.  I am all for local support over remote, but the film industry is an exception I could live with.  It is on the surface ironic that Tillis, a Republican, actually championed [sic] the incentives in the first place, though that is just because of what that party has been distorted into, bringing spending to our state should be a non-partisan and universal goal.

Edit - read other thread, so we've had one production pull out for GA due to the bill retracting incentives... Nice.  Perhaps that wasn't the real reason, but we should kill the excuse.

Edited by nowensone
  • Like 1

Just read another article in the Observer about how idiotic this would be.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/24/4001945/filmmakers-fight-bill-to-end-subsidies.html

“We fear that reductions in, or elimination of, the state’s film incentives could have a devastating impact on our ability to continue to produce the show at the level of quality our viewers have come to expect.”

• 3 months later...

Haha, maybe not the BEST movie to feature us so prominently (I'm a Jackass fan but can't imagine a whole movie of just this bit, that kid is pretty impressive though), but still cool! I wish I'd known this was filming here, but I guess that would defeat the purpose. 

Speaking of things I would have liked to seen first hand, did anybody witness this a few years back? 

I lived uptown at the time and still had no idea. 

• 3 weeks later...

That article didn't mention a specific shooting site uptown so I'm skeptical, since Banshee is set in rural Pennsylvania. The Homeland crew has taken over the entire 300 S Tryon lot in the past though to shoot in the condo building. 

Sorry, the source is a notification that uptown buildings around that site received notifying us of the filming. Some ally/street scenes were listed.

Screaming Spirit Productions LLC would like to film scenes for the second season of Banshee in the uptown Charlotte area on Wednesday, August 21.

Several scenes with take place on the third floor of 221 South Tryon Street; other scenes will be filmed in the alleyway behind the BBT Parking Center, as well as on 4th Street between College and Tryon Streets.

It's not inconceivable there is also some Homeland filming, too. 

That article didn't mention a specific shooting site uptown so I'm skeptical, since Banshee is set in rural Pennsylvania. The Homeland crew has taken over the entire 300 S Tryon lot in the past though to shoot in the condo building. 

Banshee is filming Uptown (proof below) and Homeland is filming in Dilworth today.  Season one of Banshee had quite a few scenes that take place in Harrisburg, PA but were actually filmed in Uptown CLT.

proxy.jpg?t=HBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNv