Ardendale Development (formerly known as Smiley Heights)

steve3n8

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you think there are no jobs? Ask why they left.

No point in doing that. We don't agree on the reasons. Nevertheless, lack of job opportunities are a primary issue in this neighborhood and much of the city north of Florida. You can't expect the area to get better without proper opportunities, although I do understand the opinion I assume you have; you can't expect investors to risk money in a less than decent neighborhood.

Fairly low skill, high wage jobs are the key. Auto plants, factories, port and dock work, off-shore..etc. We have miss out on a few of those companies the last few years.

No point in doing that. We don't agree on the reasons. Nevertheless, lack of job opportunities are a primary issue in this neighborhood and much of the city north of Florida. You can't expect the area to get better without proper opportunities, although I do understand the opinion I assume you have; you can't expect investors to risk money in a less than decent neighborhood.

Fairly low skill, high wage jobs are the key. Auto plants, factories, port and dock work, off-shore..etc. We have miss out on a few of those companies the last few years.

Those jobs didn't come due to the crime and poor education system. Those jobs will never come to baton rouge unless something is done.

• 2 months later...

Jindal will get killed over this by the uneducated but this is a big deal. Auto makers are rushing to the union-free south EXCEPT Louisiana. The reason is because the state is far behind Mississippi, Georgia and Alabama in a established auto assembly workforce. Steps like this will get Louisiana closer in the chase for the next big auto maker that wants to expand or move from a northern state.

Jindal will get killed over this by the uneducated but this is a big deal. Auto makers are rushing to the union-free south EXCEPT Louisiana. The reason is because the state is far behind Mississippi, Georgia and Alabama in a established auto assembly workforce. Steps like this will get Louisiana closer in the chase for the next big auto maker that wants to expand or move from a northern state.

I'd have to agree with this, even though this development is geared toward repair rather than assembly.

Automotive plants produce very little pollution and are very labor intensive.....and usually anchor a number of suppliers and DC's. It's a great thing to have in the area, and would be a great source of blue collar jobs outside of the petrochemical industry.

It's no secret that Holden, Moret, and Jindal have been working together to lure one to the region. This project is good for both the state and the city.

LED is marketing a number of mega sites along the I-12 corridor for just this kind of thing. When the national economy picks back up, I think you'll see some movement in this area.

There are zero megasites along I-12. Sites yes. Mega? Nope. There are only a few in the state.

The repair or assembly is irrelevant. The repair is to lure auto warehouses like a Autozone or Carnax storage warehouses. The assembly aspect will come later. Not to mention there is FastStart which is recognized as one of the leading training agency's in the country.

There are zero megasites along I-12. Sites yes. Mega? Nope. There are only a few in the state.

The repair or assembly is irrelevant. The repair is to lure auto warehouses like a Autozone or Carnax storage warehouses. The assembly aspect will come later. Not to mention there is FastStart which is recognized as one of the leading training agency's in the country.

Yeah, politics aside, I'm impressed with the LED team and Steve Moret and their efforts to attract business to the state. I think we'd see more success with lower corporate income tax and a little better infrastructure. Despite the economic downtown, Louisiana is still attracting some businesses.

Hawker Beechcraft would have been nice, but you can't win them all. The steel mill alone is going to have a massive impact on South Louisiana.

Didn't Beechcraft file for bankruptcy? The state dodged a bullet not giving them a huge check paid for by Louisiana taxpayers.

Not sure...but I know Louisiana's aggressive tax rebates and willingness to fastrack infrastructure improvements around the site made headlines. There were articles about Baton Rouge in all over the place for that.

I'd like to see more durable good production in the Capitol region. I really don't care what it is. It would be good for everyone.

• 11 months later...

This topic comes back into play after almost a year...

Smiley Heights’ plans hit the homestretch ......Input sought from neighbors, public

After years of discussion, the Smiley Heights mixed-use development project is in the final planning stages and could be submitted for approval to the city-parish Planning and Zoning Commission in the next eight to 12 weeks.

Walter Monsour, president and CEO of the East Baton Rouge Redevelopment Authority, said the vision for Smiley Heights is exciting and doable. The community will consist of schools, single- and multi-family housing, retailers and a police and fire station.

Planners will meet from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily through Friday in small groups at the BREC headquarters on Florida Boulevard with various Smiley Heights stakeholders — ranging from nearby residents to officials with Baton Rouge Community College — to get input on the project.

Preliminary drawings and renderings for what Smiley Heights may look like will be unveiled at 6 p.m. Thursday at the BREC headquarters. Additional input will be accepted to develop a draft master plan for Smiley Heights that will be unveiled at 6 p.m. Sept. 26, also at the BREC offices.

Smiley Heights is northeast of BRCC near Florida Boulevard, in a neighborhood bounded by Greenwell Springs Road and roughly between North Ardenwood Drive and North Lobdell Boulevard.

The first phase of Smiley Heights involves developing a 40-acre tract in the northeast quadrant of the 200-acre property north of Florida Boulevard.

That portion will be home to Baton Rouge Community College’s Center for Excellence in Auto Technology and the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board’s Career Academy.

Future development calls for building homes, 850 multi-family apartment units and about 25,000 to 30,000 square feet of commercial and retail space in Smiley Heights.

*rest of article* with small map

http://theadvocate.com/news/7076763-123/smiley-heights-plans-hit-the

• 3 weeks later...

This Topic can now be changed to "Ardendale".....

Ardendale, formerly Smiley Heights, unveiled Thursday

Ardendale, formerly known as Smiley Heights, will consist of 850 residential units, 35,000 square feet of retail space, Baton Rouge Community College’s Center for Excellence in Auto Technology and the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board’s Career Academy.

The 200-acre tract is northeast of BRCC near Florida Boulevard, in a neighborhood bounded by Greenwell Springs Road and roughly between North Ardenwood Drive and North Lobdell Boulevard.

The first phase of Ardendale involves developing a 40-acre tract in the northeast quadrant that will be home for the two schools and 168 multi-family housing units, said Steve Oubre of Architects Southwest in Lafayette, who served as the town planner.

*rest of article w/ 2 renderings

http://theadvocate.com/home/7167850-125/ardendale-formerly-smiley-heights-unveiled

Thanks for changing the name of this :thumbsup:

Pretty cool they are going to keep nearly 1/3 of the development green space; including  20-acres wetlands preserve/park

From Woods to Village....Proposed new Mid-City development will be green in more ways than one

The new subdivision will be anchored by an 86,000-square-foot automotive training center to be built for Baton Rouge Community College on North Lobdell. Next door will be the new high school, EBR Schools’ Career Academy, planned to span 60,000 square feet of space. Both facilities are currently scheduled to open in fall 2016, as long as the development proposal wins approval from the Planning Commission, and then from the Metro Council in January. The first phase of housing – 168 multi-family units located in the same area of the tract – is also set to open in fall 2016.

Subsequent phases of the development will include retail space and loft condos along Ardenwood Drive, a “village green” with an amphitheatre, a Boys’ and Girls’ Club, a digital library, and a variety of housing types and price points. The housing – which will be marketed to employees of the new IBM center, according to Mayor Holden – will include the aforementioned condos, multifamily apartment complexes, traditional single-family residences, and Southern-style cottages. The blocks of cottages will be each built around neighborhood gardens and orchards.

Nearly one-third of the entire development will be devoted to green space, including a 20-acre wetlands preserve and a park that will meander along the southern boundary of Ardendale. That park, with 10-foot wide biking/walking paths, is an integral part of making the entire development feasible, according to Oubre.

“Currently, over half the property is designated ‘wetlands’, and it’s a man-made boggy mess,” Oubre said. “A concrete drainage lateral that now overflows frequently will be removed, as we have realized that concrete-lined drainage causes flooding. Instead, we’ll re-create natural drainage – a stream – surrounded by trees and trails that will become a park resource to the community.”

Housing will be built along narrow streets, with an average speed limit of 15 mph. Each street will have bike lanes and wide sidewalks to encourage less driving within the neighborhood. Oubre said they’ve even calculated travel time – on foot – between the two “commercial centers” of the development.

“It’s a 10-minute walk,” said Oubre of the distance between the 35,000 total square feet of retail space planned along Lobdell and Ardenwood.

*rest of article*

http://digbatonrouge.com/article/from-woods-to-village-7156/

F197qIR4aaYyrIVB796XM1MPlEWqDcsY.jpg

Boundaries of Ardendale development overlaid with walking distances. Courtesy EBR Redevelopment Authority

No problem Richy.

I feel IBM employees won't live here. Baton Rouge doesn't benefit from the same demographics like New Orleans where block to block is a different animal. I hope it doesn't turn out like River Gardens.

Perhaps something like this will eventually replace the project buildings in Gardere.

I can definitely see light retail/chain restaurants succeeding here if the education facility turns out to be all its cracked up to be. But like so many others, I'm not sold on the idea of residential.

On a related note for that area, it would be really cool if renovations in Melrose Subdivision really took off. This secret seems to be kept a little too well. I know everyone usually advocates for connectivity--but I think that subdivision would benefit hugely if it became one-entrance instead of three-entrance, as it currently is. Living in a neighborhood that opens onto Florida doesn't sound that disagreeable, but N. Foster is a whole different animal. 

I really think this should have been completely job focused.....light manufacturing, distribution, and institutional.

Like Industriaplex but a little nicer.

That would've been better in my opinion.

I can't think of a single industrial park in Louisiana where I have said "this looks like a great place to raise my family".

That's why he didn't mention any kind of residential...

I can definitely see light retail/chain restaurants succeeding here if the education facility turns out to be all its cracked up to be. But like so many others, I'm not sold on the idea of residential.

On a related note for that area, it would be really cool if renovations in Melrose Subdivision really took off. This secret seems to be kept a little too well. I know everyone usually advocates for connectivity--but I think that subdivision would benefit hugely if it became one-entrance instead of three-entrance, as it currently is. Living in a neighborhood that opens onto Florida doesn't sound that disagreeable, but N. Foster is a whole different animal. 

If standards for tenants are kept high, this could be a good move for Mid-City, however, the tenants we desire probably don't want to live north of Florida.

I think Melrose is fine as it is. Doesn't need to cut off any of it's entrances. What good would that provide for the residents there? If and hopefully when the Florida Blvd corridor regains it's stature, this would only add to traffic congestion onto Florida and cause lots of u-turns to go east on Florida. What does N. Foster have to do with anything? I've seen a few renovations in Melrose and the houses are all very well-kept. The only thing that is broken is the neighborhood it's in.

On a related note for that area, it would be really cool if renovations in Melrose Subdivision really took off. This secret seems to be kept a little too well. I know everyone usually advocates for connectivity--but I think that subdivision would benefit hugely if it became one-entrance instead of three-entrance, as it currently is. Living in a neighborhood that opens onto Florida doesn't sound that disagreeable, but N. Foster is a whole different animal.

I lived in Melrose subdivision for a while when I was at undergrad at LSU.

It actually isn't a bad neighborhood...but it borders one that is terrible.

Archived