Ardendale Development (formerly known as Smiley Heights)

steve3n8

I think Melrose is fine as it is. Doesn't need to cut off any of it's entrances. What good would that provide for the residents there? If and hopefully when the Florida Blvd corridor regains it's stature, this would only add to traffic congestion onto Florida and cause lots of u-turns to go east on Florida. What does N. Foster have to do with anything? I've seen a few renovations in Melrose and the houses are all very well-kept. The only thing that is broken is the neighborhood it's in.

Because its a fact that three entrance subdivisions have a harder time keeping problems out, particularly in that part of town.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been there alot lately. I've never seen any strangers walking around or anything. Is this a problem in Melrose?

We never had problems there....but one of the neighbors had his car broken into in his driveway.

The problems are on North Foster and Ardenwood.....and there is no entrance on Ardenwood but it isn't difficult to get there on foot.

Most of the people within that neighborhood called the police when something strange happens. Me and a two other guys rented there, so I don't know what the taxes or fees were, but I think there was a crime prevention district within that neighborhood. There was a low tolerance for crime. It was mostly middle class black families and some older whites mixed in with a couple of college renters like us. It's not a welfare class neighborhood that will turn it's back on crime.

I seem to remember regular patrols by BRPD. One seemed to setup right there at Parlange/Hermitage almost every day.

This was over 10 years ago though.

While I agree with the merits of this development, I think it will be unsuccessful. I would rather have seen the city and state concentrate their efforts on revitalizing florida blvd using "New Urbanist" techniques. However, that would take much longer to implement and would require the cooperation of existing land owners. It is much easier for the government to develop a poorly located undeveloped plot of land than to deal with existing conditions and property owners. 

I've been there alot lately. I've never seen any strangers walking around or anything. Is this a problem in Melrose?

First off, I just want to say that I'm not sure how you can tell who is and is not a stranger in a neighborhood that size. 

But the real problem is perception. You have a neighborhood on the wrong side of Florida to begin with. Then you put two entrances on North Foster...doesn't sound good. 

One entrance creates certain issues, as can be seen in Jefferson Place Bocage. But it also allows for better security, which would definitely be on the radar if Melrose really starts to come back. 

First off, I just want to say that I'm not sure how you can tell who is and is not a stranger in a neighborhood that size. 

But the real problem is perception. You have a neighborhood on the wrong side of Florida to begin with. Then you put two entrances on North Foster...doesn't sound good. 

One entrance creates certain issues, as can be seen in Jefferson Place Bocage. But it also allows for better security, which would definitely be on the radar if Melrose really starts to come back. 

By the demographics of the subdivision, it's somewhat easy to spot a stranger. It's not like it's opened up to the area around it and attracts strange walkers. If Melrose starts to come back (it never really went anywhere relative to it's surrounding neighborhood), it won't have to do with closing the N Foster entrances.

You've sort of pointed out the reasoning behind so many single entrance subdivisions.

I admittedly live in one now and love it.

You've sort of pointed out the reasoning behind so many single entrance subdivisions.

I admittedly live in one now and love it.

Difference here is that most one entrance subdivisions are nowhere near high crime areas. I admittedly love Melrose. And Melrose stands to benefit if this project is a success. That's why I believe this is on topic...

• 1 year later...

BRCC transportation technology training center construction starting                                                                                                                                                                    A ceremonial groundbreaking was held Wednesday for the Baton Rouge Community College’s Center of Excellence for Transportation Technology.

The automotive training center will be one of the anchors of the Ardendale development, which will be built on a 200-acre tract northeast of BRCC near Florida Boulevard.

The center will train college and high school students to work as mechanics and give them a chance to become familiar with the latest equipment.

“There’s a tremendous need for people with mechanical skills in our market,” said Matt McKay, president of All Star Automotive Group. McKay is helping to develop the curriculum at the training center and getting support from auto manufacturers for the classes.

The center will also be a place where veteran mechanics can complete certification programs. Plans are to open the training center between fall 2016 and early 2017.  http://theadvocate.com/news/11882027-123/brcc-transportation-technology-training-center

Archived