The Atlantic Coast Conference is expanding again

cityboi

Two more Big East schools are looking to join the ACC and this could happen as soon as Sunday, Sept 18th. The two schools joining the Greensboro based conference are Syracuse and the University of Pittsburgh. The conference will expand even further soon. Word is Texas is interested in joining the ACC. At least 10 schools have approached the ACC about joining.

http://www.news-reco..._entry_into_acc

ACC Hall of Champions at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex

ACC_Hall_Of_Champions001.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its official. Syracuse and Pittsburgh headed to the ACC

http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/09/18/article/pittsburgh_and_syracuse_are_headed_to_the_atlantic_coast_conference

There are rumors that the Texas Longhorns and Notre Dame could join the ACC later on. The ACC has always been a major conference but these expansion moves will clearly turn the ACC into a superconference.

I'm excited. 2 good additions in my opinion.. makes BC location a little more palatable. Word is FSU is looking to perhaps jump ship. ND in the ACC would be awesome. Texas would be horrible as it is way too much of an outlier and is not technically an "Atlantic Coast" school..

I also heard Kansas State could be interested.. (why?).. but I would love to see ECU added to the ACC line-up but a friend of mine said it may make the ACC too North Carolina-centric (what?).

oh well.. Welcome to the Panthers and the Orange (wonder if Clemson is mad they are no longer the only Orange team)!!!!

This is really sad for me as a UConn and Big East fan but I'm hearing that UConn and Rutgers may be next as well. Geographically it would make the most sense to completely lock up the entire eastern seaboard and capture the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic markets, and share the Southeast with the SEC. This would clearly be the best basketball conference in the land and would be powerfull and full of potential as far as football goes.

If UConn leaves, The Big East is clearly falling apart. I did indeed read that UConn has been in discussion with the ACC for a potential move. If that happens, the ACC will clearly be the most powerful conference in the land in basketball and football. It makes good sense from UConn's persepctive to move to the ACC. Pittsburgh and Syracuse are their biggest rivals. When Boston College, Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East and moved to the ACC, it hurt the Big East. But the latest move along with a potential UConn move would be a death blow to the Big East. That would be like Duke and North Carolina leaving the ACC.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-jacobs-big-east-0918-20110918,0,1059980.column

UPDATE: confirmed sources are saying West Virginia University is talking with the ACC also.

Six teams could potentially leave the Big East and move to the ACC. If all these moves happen, the ACC will become the nation's first super conference

In addition to rumors about Texas, there are rumors about Texas Tech and ACC talks as well. If all these teams do indeed jump ship to the ACC, it would be the largest expansion in the conference history.

http://www.southernp...uper-conference

http://www.news-reco...oast_conference

rumored schools in talks with the ACC

1 UConn

2 Rutgers

3 Notre Dame

4 West Virginia University

5 Texas

6 Texas Tech

--------------------------------

7 Pittsburgh (moving to the ACC)

8 Syracuse (moving to the ACC)

Ten schools have expressed interest in moving to the ACC so there are two more unconfirmed schools. My guess is that the other two teams are from the Big East as well and could be Villanova and Georgetown. But thats just a guess.

UConn Huskies move to the ACC very likely. It Appears as though the ACC wants to expand to 16 teams. Syracuse and Pittsburgh makes 14. The ACC needs two more schools. Despite interest from 8 other schools It appears the mostly likely candidates are UConn and Rutgers based on more recent sources. That would mean four schools leaving the Big East for the ACC. Rutgers is a part of the New York City tv market.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncf/story/_/id/6988899/rutgers-added-expanded-acc

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6989031/uconn-huskies-aggressively-seeking-acc-move-source-says

If UConn leaves, The Big East is clearly falling apart. I did indeed read that UConn has been in discussion with the ACC for a potential move. If that happens, the ACC will clearly be the most powerful conference in the land in basketball and football. It makes good sense from UConn's persepctive to move to the ACC. Pittsburgh and Syracuse are their biggest rivals. When Boston College, Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East and moved to the ACC, it hurt the Big East. But the latest move along with a potential UConn move would be a death blow to the Big East. That would be like Duke and North Carolina leaving the ACC. http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-jacobs-big-east-0918-20110918,0,1059980.column

Syracuse and Pittsburgh leaving hurts the Big East a lot... You can pretty much count on UConn and probably Rutgers jumping to the ACC as well, as has been mentioned here. This will clearly make the ACC the top basketball conference. However, it still isn't even close to touching the SEC in football. Even if you kept the SEC as is today. A conference having the last 5 national titles in football speaks for itself.

I hope it's Notre Dame and UConn rather than Rutgers or WVU.. I believe ND would bring a much better mix than the previous 2. WVU only brings football (but good football). Not sure what Rutgers brings since UNC just beat them in football and they get beat in basketball. Oh bother. Could it be 18?? This is getting crazy. The ACC is getting too big.. but it's a good sign that ACC is coveted..

isn't it true the ACC splits the winnings from tournaments, etc evenly amongst all the schools and other conference gives winnings mainly to the winning teams? or did I just make that up? I thought for sure I read somewhere that all teams get some of the winnings (it may not be exactly even, the winning team probably gets more).

Hmmm...

^Notre Dame has showed in the past that they are only interested in remaining as an independent in football. It will be interesting to see what happens though. I still doubt they join the ACC or any conference in football. They make so much more money with their independent deals, such as NBC, than they ever would joining a conference. I also wouldn't discount WVU in basketball. That would be a solid coupe for the ACC as well. They went to the 2010 Men's Final Four and regularly make the NCAA tourney, which is something none of the teams that joined the ACC several years ago (Miami, VA Tech, Boston College) can claim.

It also sounds like Swofford may be interested in moving some of the ACC Tournaments to Madison Square Garden as the Big East may lose that as a tournament site as well.

The downside to moving the tournament around more would mean Greensboro would host it less. Greensboro will still likely host it more than any other location but we will see less of Greensboro hosting the men's basketball tournament three to five years in a row. I certainly understand why Madison Square Garden is an attractive venue. Hosting it in New York City would give the tournament a big league feel like the Big East Tournament. But the addition of Pitt and Syracuse will benefit all of the ACC schools, the ACC and Greensboro. Greensboro has cemented its relationship with the ACC with the hall of champions and constant upgrades to the Greensboro Coliseum to make the ACC happy. The city is the birthplace of the ACC and a number of cities have tried to lure the headquarters away from Greensboro including Charlotte but the ACC will always stay in Greensboro and will continue to be a part of the fabric of Greensboro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On a related note, looks like the Governor and US State Senators sent notification to the Big East that they would like ECU seriously considered for admission. It will be interesting to see what happens. Although ECU is looking for a larger conference, I fear that the Big East may start to become insignificant. (I could be wrong so don't get on me). Anyway, if ECU gets admittance, it should be allowed until PITT and Syracuse are allowed to leave the Big East...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/10/31/1610414/perdue-burr-hagan-rally-for-pirates.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question.. with CLT hosting the ACC football tournament and in line to potentially host the Basketball tournament, is it time to look at hosting one or the other in the Raleigh-Durham area? I mean, CLT has no ACC affiliated school whatsoever and making some big bucks off it. Greensboro is ACC HQ so I can understand that. But the triangle is home to 2 of the top schools in the conference (+ State) and doesn't get to hold any of the tournament.. Is it time for Raleigh and Durham to pony up to push for the ACC tournament?

Just wondering because at least in the RTP area, fans from all across the state can make it to the tournament without having to drive trans-state..

^One of the reasons the ACC Football championship is hosted in Charlotte (and previously Tampa and Jacksonville) is because it's considered a "neutral" field. Conference championship games for football are either at the team with the best in-conference record (see Pac-12 or Conf USA) or at a neutral site such as Charlotte (ACC), Indianapolis (Big 10), Atlanta (SEC), etc. With the success of the ACC football game in Charlotte, not many people see the conference championship being played elsewhere for a while. They are supposed to make a recommendation on future sites next month I believe. As far as basketball goes, the ACC has an agreement in place over the next several years to host it in Greensboro mostly and Atlanta on occasion. Charlotte isn't currently slated to have the tournament. I think you underestimate the number of ACC fans in other parts of the Carolinas as well. There are easily just as many in Greensboro and Charlotte as there are in the Raleigh-Durham area.

Conference championship games for football are either at the team with the best in-conference record (see Pac-12 or Conf USA) or at a neutral site such as Charlotte (ACC), Indianapolis (Big 10), Atlanta (SEC), etc.

And Atlanta's not really all that neutral for the SEC with Athens only being about a hour east; there are tons upon tons of Bulldog fans in Atlanta. But in a technical sense, it's a neutral site since there are no SEC schools in Atlanta proper.

And Atlanta's not really all that neutral for the SEC with Athens only being about a hour east; there are tons upon tons of Bulldog fans in Atlanta. But in a technical sense, it's a neutral site since there are no SEC schools in Atlanta proper.

Same could be said about Charlotte and schools like VA Tech, UNC and Clemson. All within reasonsable driving distance and lots of their fans live here. You would know that since you used to live here :)

Same could be said about Charlotte and schools like VA Tech, UNC and Clemson. All within reasonsable driving distance and lots of their fans live here. You would know that since you used to live here :)

Well it's more than just about the presence of fans; Athens is only a few years away from literally being included in the Atlanta MSA/CSA as it is directly borders the metro area. There's quite a bit of spatial separation between Charlotte and VA Tech, Clemson, and UNC by comparison. But like I said, Atlanta is technically neutral territory. Jacksonville and Tampa are truly neutral though.

• 9 months later...

I think this all but guarantees that Madison Square Garden will get some of the ACC Men's Basketball Tournaments in the future after the current deal expires. Notre Dame, Syracuse and Duke would fill MSG by themselves. Hopefully Charlotte can still find a way to get in the mix. Though, I bet the rotation will come down to Greensboro and MSG.

I think this all but guarantees that Madison Square Garden will get some of the ACC Men's Basketball Tournaments in the future after the current deal expires. Notre Dame, Syracuse and Duke would fill MSG by themselves. Hopefully Charlotte can still find a way to get in the mix. Though, I bet the rotation will come down to Greensboro and MSG.

This expands the ACC TV market into Indiana. There will clearly be a few more cities thrown into the mix to host the ACC Men's Basketball Tournament but Greensboro will still host more than an other city. That's why Greensboro keeps investing millions of dollars in that coliseum and constructed an adjoining hall of fame. If UCONN and another heavyweight comes to the ACC, it will clearly be the dominant conference in the country.

• 2 months later...

Looks like Maryland will be leaving the ACC for the Big Ten. I've also heard rumors Florida State may leave. This will be the first time a school has left to ACC since the University of South Carolina's departure in 1971. Maryland has been with the ACC since the conference was chartered back in 1953 in Greensboro, NC. The ACC is picking up some schools though. (University of Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Notre Dame) Also UCONN has been wanting to join the ACC. The addition of UCONN with exisiting ACC schools like Duke and UNC would make the ACC the superior basketball conference. With Maryland's departure, I wouldn't be surprised to see UCONN as a new member of the ACC. Schools are dropping out of the Big East like flies. Rutgers is leaving the Big East for the Big 10. With UCONN, the total count would be 7 Big East schools in the ACC. Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech left the Big East for the ACC back in 2005.

http://www.news-reco..._to_the_big_ten

Archived