Urban Apartment Boom (Raleigh)

orulz

• 1 month later...

On 12/1/2011 at 0:53 PM, orulz said:

Add another one to the list: The Gramercy, 7 stories, 209 units with 5600 sf of retail at the NW corner of Glenwood and North.

I count six major new construction projects in Glenwood South.

(1) 600 St Mary's

(2) 425 N Boylan

(3) Gramercy

(4) Apartments at West

(5) Hampton Inn

(6) Carolina Ale House

How many of these will actually make it to completion? I don't know. But to me, this seems like every bit as much of a boom as back in 2007. Only this time, they're building things for which there is actual established demand (Urban apartments) rather than things for which there is not (expensive ultra luxury condos.)

Scanning some old threads for some stuff, and just wanted to bump this and say...5 of 6 have been built :) Not a bad batting average. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2016 at 2:20 PM, Jones_ said:

If it matters, the Dillion apartments will be two distinct buildings, one on each side of Hargett St. I imagine the south one will go up first so the north lot can still be used as a staging area. 

If anyone is curious, the north apartment building might be going up faster than I thought at first....the pavement is being ripped out today...I had figured it'd be a staging area for the larger site/south block, but perhaps not. 

This view just reminded me....the old Broom and Mattress factory for the School of Deaf and Blind, was swinging open yesterday. The building dates to 1898. It's in the center right of your picture. Anyway, even though it'd be trespassing, I think a visit inside is worth it for some sweet vintage pictures. It has a mix of old 1898 details and also the look of its last use as offices probably in the 1960's. Nothing has changed ins there for decades except for vagrants piling up trash in it. Its dark...bring a low light (too bright will give you away), and hopefully ghosts and stuff don't scare you...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ya'll a more updated version of my kindergarten quality map! It cannot hold a candle to Orulz's stuff or Leo Suarez over at Raleigh Connoisseur, but if all you want is a rough sketch of what has been and what will be, with as many notes as I can keep up with...enjoy. Includes new stuff such as, Target, project Phoenix stuff, south Harrington apartments, Two Glenwood and updated notes on 301 Hillsborough. Sorry this thing sucks, but it helps me keep everything straight...

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, DwnTwnRaleighGuy said:

@ Jones,

Thank you for the map, very cool!

Question...is the hotel part of 301 Hillsboro or separate as shown on the map?

It looked like one giant backwards facing "C" shaped building with separate lobbies for hotel (facing Hillsborough more easterly), residential (facing Hillsborough too but farther west) and office, (facing Dawson). Parking access from both Hillsborough and Morgan. 

Initial D, from the construction it looks like two tunnels are going in to, that enable the commercial buildings along West to be wrapped, but access to the facility under the tracks maintained (ingress and egress) but no tunnel to connect West Street's two pieces as of right now. That was an expensive element...an extra almost...and likely had to be cut as the overall construction cost rose. 

I find it amazing that Raleigh still lets 4-5 story wooden buildings be built. Guess they never hard of all the huge fires in such buildings. Great example is Avalon at Edgewater, has burnt twice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/nyregion/edgewater-fire-leaves-homeless-tenants-distraught.html

Several spectacular videos on YouTube.

I'm in Boone and there have been several building built here in past year that in Raleigh would have been wood, but here framed with all steel and concrete.

4 hours ago, Scotchman said:

I find it amazing that Raleigh still lets 4-5 story wooden buildings be built. Guess they never hard of all the huge fires in such buildings. Great example is Avalon at Edgewater, has burnt twice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/nyregion/edgewater-fire-leaves-homeless-tenants-distraught.html

Several spectacular videos on YouTube.

I'm in Boone and there have been several building built here in past year that in Raleigh would have been wood, but here framed with all steel and concrete.

It'd make me nervous to live in one, whether it's up to code or not. Sprinkler systems are designed to stop a fire from really getting going....but if one gets going, say from the exterior of the building a lot of damage will done.