Urban Apartment Boom (Raleigh)

orulz

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it mentioned at the State of Downtown that there are 5 new residential projects planned for Glenwood South.  The ones that I can think of:

• West Apartments,
  • West Apartments II,
  • Link Apartments
  • 220 the Saint
  • Gramercy

I wonder if any of these are off the table now and there is anything new?

How does a project in such a prominent location fly almost completely under the radar? They have some under construction projects on their site. I'm wondering why the Raleigh location isn't listed. 

This is what bugs me about that project.  It's not covered really by any media.  I can't find any plans on the cities website.  The developer has nothing on their own website.  It just seems so damn shady.

This is what bugs me about that project.  It's not covered really by any media.  I can't find any plans on the cities website.  The developer has nothing on their own website.  It just seems so damn shady.

Adding to that vibe, it was under way (land leveled etc) within a week or so of the supposed land being sold back to the State and then the Elan. 

Grading permits for The Gramercy have been issued on 3/24 so I suppose this could already be underway (anybody care to comment?). Building permits for Gramercy are submitted but no further information on status is available.

Grading permits for Link Apartments have also been submitted and are actively under review.

Edison was submitted months ago but I guess it has been standing by pending the Clyde Cooper's move.

1301 Hillsborough (the next phase of FMW at Hillsborough/Morgan - the IHOP spot) also has some permitting activity underway.

Building permits for Kane's Stanhope Center were issued today.

I checked others like Lincoln, 616 Oberlin, West - no apparent permit activity yet.

The Two Guys Pizza apartment building (proposed to be next to the bowling alley on Hillsborough Street) has been approved by the planning commission.  It now goes before the City Council on May 6th.  The NIMBY's of Cameron Park are already speaking out against building heights.  I feel like this is going to end up being an increasing losing battle for them.  We need projects like this and when you live right next to a big University like NCSU, it should be no surprise.  Raleigh is a growing city.

W4prcFg.jpg

Source: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/22/3802941/raleigh-commission-approves-7.html

Edited by DPK

Grading permits for The Gramercy have been issued on 3/24 so I suppose this could already be underway (anybody care to comment?). Building permits for Gramercy are submitted but no further information on status is available.

If Gramercy is going in the spot across North Street from Hibernian, then there isn't any movement on it yet. The tan 60's style office building is still there. 

The Two Guys Pizza apartment building (proposed to be next to the bowling alley on Hillsborough Street) has been approved by the planning commission.  It now goes before the City Council on May 6th.  The NIMBY's of Cameron Park are already speaking out against building heights.  I feel like this is going to end up being an increasing losing battle for them.  We need projects like this and when you live right next to a big University like NCSU, it should be no surprise.  Raleigh is a growing city.

W4prcFg.jpg

Source: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/22/3802941/raleigh-commission-approves-7.html

Hillsborough Street does need stuff right about this size in this area. Looks good to me. The number of projects proposed of this caliber in this area kind of caught me by surprise. Hillsborough St might end up being a showcase street

Hillsborough Street does need stuff right about this size in this area. Looks good to me. The number of projects proposed of this caliber in this area kind of caught me by surprise. Hillsborough St might end up being a showcase street

Agreed on all fronts, but I wish they would start with some of the uglier buildings on the street with terrible urban form.. The buildings being replaced by this are not especially nice or distinctive, and like you I don't mind seeing them go for something like this. However, they did at least contribute to the street's urban character rather than actively trying to destroy it like the absolute worst offender, the Baptist Student Center.

beware.jpg

Every time something pops up on the Current Development Activity page in the Wade CAC or with a Hillsborough Street address, I hope and pray that it's for redeveloping the BSC building. So far I have been disappointed every time.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I am really glad Red Hat and Citrix 's entrance to downtown is coinciding with our downtown (its a national boom it seems) boom in apartments. Otherwise I would be pretty concerned that we'd have a saturated market. Saturation is fine since it lowers prices (or plateaus them at least) but I personally want the West I and II apartments to hurry up and get going before there is a market bust (to supplement Link which appears about ready to start). I still think these two are key to nailing down a high concentration of residents in an area that is ripe for my preferred grocery locations. I also really want to see the districts linking up as the Harrington/West blocks filling in would do. Sandreuter is notorious for taking forever to get his projects going and then at the 11th hour the market or economy changes on him. Edison was victim, Dawson was victim. West went forward but sales were painfully slow. Projects like Lincoln, Elan and El are great but sop up demand far flung corners...which is great...that is needed....but I don't want it to be at the expense of Glenwood being an actual neighborhood instead of forever a nightlife district. Disclosure... I live spitting distance from Mellow Mushroom and am quietly hoping the club scene leaves here and the strip matures a bit with groceries and other daily life stuff...

Edited by Jones_