Urban Apartment Boom (Raleigh)

orulz

Just an idea, but UP could maybe do a wiki style community fed map. Maybe if we kept it current and tight in presentation, UP might even up its hits and make itself some more money....? I'd love to see such a map and would be willing to participate in keeping it up....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Edison apartments:

One hour later I was standing outside Sosta checking out the second floor decking going in myself. I wouldn't be surprised to see UO go here either..Lumina moving up the road would miss the chance for some little bit of concentration of clothing options though if it did happen. 

The Citrix retail space is decent sized and they are so pro-downtown I wouldn't be surprised if they say, gave an outstanding deal to someone to open up a medium sized grocery in there. (sorry, I know this is the apartment thread). Generally the mixed use apartment building retail components to date haven't been big enough for anything beyond a manhattan style grocery or a co-op. My dream would be to put some apartment floors over the last Dillion building and make that ground floor an almost regular sized grocery store perhaps with parking on level two and have the whole settup come off looking like a good compliment to Citrix. Done properly, might even be able to pull off some tax credits .....brownfield, historic not sure what might work but just a passing thought...

Edited by Jones_

My dream would be to put some apartment floors over the last Dillion building and make that ground floor an almost regular sized grocery store perhaps with parking on level two and have the whole settup come off looking like a good compliment to Citrix. Done properly, might even be able to pull off some tax credits .....brownfield, historic not sure what might work but just a passing thought...

I've had this exact thought!! It makes so much sense! I like a lot of your ideas - now just go win the lottery.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran past these today on the greenway. Been watching them go up since the spring starting with a huge retaining wall hanging over the crabtree creek floodplain. I assumed the worst, but the buildings at least, did turn out nice. This area was sort of vying for mid-town status in the mid/late 90's when the Atlantic Place condos were built (behind the Bojangles), plus Hannaford, Kroger, expanded post office etc etc was all happening all at once. I think developers and realtors sort of jumped the gun on this area and it got really leveled off and even declined when the two busts happened in the 2000's. But with residential activity on both ends of the area (the other bookend being tons of huge houses being built along Noble and numerous tear downs for larger homes), the commercial and retail components should recover (Trader Joes helped that a lot too), and you might get a really busy rail stop here when its all said and done supported by this multilayered area of the City. 

• 1 month later...

Downtown (Hillsborough St and Cameron Village area excluded) apartment construction updates (my perception of most done to least done):

Devon: Some people moved in. Many unit's interiors being finished and ground floor being finished (at least one retail spot it looks like)

Skyhouse: Tower crane came down this weekend. Exterior almost 100% and interiors starting to finish up. Occupancy any day I'd say.

El: Upper stories exterior mostly done. Interiors going in. McDowell ground floor finishing up and looks pretty good actually. Almost ready for occupancy) 

Elan: Windows, patio doors and exterior finishing in full swing. Interior rough-ins should be starting soon

Lincoln: Topped out and some windows starting as well. Has a sweet looking dormer facing downtown where some units apparently will get either huge ceilings or loft space. Better that I expected. 

Edison: Working Blount to Wilmington, some second story columns being formed. (Edison and Link are essentially neck and neck)

Link: above grade finally!

Gramercy: Still working sub grade but tower crane install finished about a week ago. 

Edited by Jones_

Looks like Kane is planning something downtown. Rezoning the whole block south of Morgan and the half block north of Morgan between Harrington and West (across West Street from Citrix) to DX-20. This is the northern end of the warehouse district. It includes some fairly old but fairly nondescript, mostly one story buildings.

Anybody have any idea what's up here? This zoning would allow up to 20 stories. I put it in this thread because it might be apartments, but not sure. 

Would love to see Kane getting involved downtown. His projects move fast.

And Ugly Monkey is in there too. I wonder if Empire is working with Kane or if Kane approached Empire about selling the awkward Coca Cola/Jillians space. 

Very interesting. None of those buildings are very interesting historically though it does take warehouses to have a warehouse district. The north portion of the Jillians building was a post office for a little while....if you look at it from Morgan St you can see it despite the bricked up windows. Anyway, no real loss imo. All post WWII warehouses are built essentially the same so there isn't any irreplaceable character being lost. 

Anyway Kane does move fast...and my gut says he's enjoyed his experience over at Stanhope and is ready to get the next thing in the pipeline. Kane does it all....retail, residential, hotels...could be really good. 

It looks like Clearscapes and RATIO/Cherry Huffman were represented at the meeting...(I only recognize two of the names attending)

Edited by Jones_

Looks like Kane is planning something downtown. Rezoning the whole block south of Morgan and the half block north of Morgan between Harrington and West (across West Street from Citrix) to DX-20. This is the northern end of the warehouse district. It includes some fairly old but fairly nondescript, mostly one story buildings.

Anybody have any idea what's up here? This zoning would allow up to 20 stories. I put it in this thread because it might be apartments, but not sure. 

Would love to see Kane getting involved downtown. His projects move fast.

Would be nice if Kane were planning to bid on the Hillsbourough St parcels next to the Flying Saucer as well.

• Like 1

That's the Dillion warehouse and the two surface lots. Doesn't include the old Jillian's space. I think it is a loss if it's torn down completely. I'd like some height there, but would prefer that the facades be incorporated into the project if at all possible.

Ooops...Thanks! I read Orulz post and didn't look at the pdf....your right...its the Dillion warehouse and the surface lot adjacent to Jillians. This jives with the Newraleigh implication that someone was going to pay $12M for for this site. 

@ Orulz

"Anybody have any idea what's up here? This zoning would allow up to 20 stories. I put it in this thread because it might be apartments, but not sure."

I remember reading that the city wanted an eight story max in this area? I'll check my source and get back ASAP. Most anything would be an improvement...IMHO

Ooops...Thanks! I read Orulz post and didn't look at the pdf....your right...its the Dillion warehouse and the surface lot adjacent to Jillians. This jives with the Newraleigh implication that someone was going to pay $12M for for this site. 

Oops. You're right. It's the Dillon buildings and lots on either side of Hargett.

The currently proposed UDO remapping is suggesting mostly DX-12 and a small piece of DX-5 bordering Martin. I agree with Kane's rezoning request: high density should definitely be allowed, especially so close to Union Station.

So far The Lincoln takes the cake for weirdest floor plans. http://www.thelincolnraleigh.com/the-lincoln-raleigh-nc

They have at least four diagonal/45 degree angled plans. Some might be cool, especially the 11ft roof units. But one must have been designed by an intern...from your bedroom, you have to walk through the living room, kitchen and laundry room to the only bathroom. All so they could cram in a sitting room off the bedroom with a view. Any way I've taken to browsing floor plans in all these places I'll likely never live...though I will go in everything open for the downtown home tour this spring. I highly recommend paying the $10 or whatever and using a bike to go on the tour if you're into seeing what various downtown places look like. 

Edited by Jones_