Road World Cycling Championships

burt

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The video of the Copenhagen event (above) is exciting to watch. This year's Cycling Championship is in The Netherlands, then Florence in 2013, Spain in 2014 and RICHMOND in September of 2015.

There's still 3 years to prepare, but when you think that there will be close to half-a-million visitors from around the World arriving for the 9-day affair it boggles the mind.

Charlotte is coping with about 100,000 visitors this week during the Democratic Convention and the area has at least twice as many hotel rooms as Greater Richmond's 18,000.

CLT offers flights to every major city in North America as well as many international destinations. We can only hope that RIC and local officials are in negotiations with major airlines and Amtrak to provide top-line service during the event.

Shuttle buses by the dozens will be needed to transport people to and from hotels within a hundred-mile radius of Richmond.

It's an event that requires massive planning and cooperation from all juristrictions.

• 2 weeks later...

Planners of The World Road Cycling Championship 2015 met with Henrico officials last night and encountered some resistance. However, most appeared to acknowledge the event's potential economic impact.

One of the races may start at Short Pump Town Center and wind its way downtown.

It is not known how large a TV audience it will attract since the event has not been held in The US since the 1980's, but it is estimated over 300,000,000 viewers will tune in, thus, attracting big sponsors and big bucks.

Almost half a million visitors are expected to be in attendance for most, if not all of the 9-day event.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ike-ar-2198001/

Lou Llovio has another comprehensive story about the Big Race in 2015.

The video leading off this story is the same as the one in the above posting, but the content of the piece is an in-depth coverage of preparations for the World Road Cycling Champioships with special focus on Wilson Flohr, Jr. who is CEO for Richmond 2115.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...0363/#poll_1730

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Our loving biking community has created a petition to get city council to create a bike master plan.

http://riderva.com/city-council-fund-and-approve-a-bike-master-plan/

I've signed.

I want the city to be a beautiful place that we can showcase to everyone when "the world comes to Richmond" in September 2015.

I encourage everyone to sign onto this too. 835 supporters goal. 137 right now. We got this.

• 3 weeks later...

The RTD calls it simply a "preparatory run" for the 2015 UCIs, but it's an important event in it's own right.

The River City is now host to the 2014 USA Cycling Collegiate Road National Championships. :D

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/article_4a99dcac-b4f9-11e2-946e-001a4bcf6878.html

The announcement was made during the awards banquet at this years event in Utah.

The CEO of Richmond 2015 says it will be a chance to test logistics and course refinements.

All it says to me is that Richmond is becoming more and more serious with it's biking identity. :)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've got to say that now that the UCI begins next weekend, I'm getting really excited for Richmond!  I'm excited to see Richmond on a world-wide stage and hope they don't screw it up.  This is going to be very HUGE for Richmond if pulled off successfully.  After hosting this race, Richmond will surely be considered again for all kinds of other big-time events.  People will also "discover" Richmond and all it has to offer.  This should all result into benefit after benefit for the region.  No longer is Richmond the sleepy town people think it is and I think this will open a new chapter in the building up of Richmond and its place among the cities of world-class cities!  As you see and experience things related to the UCI, please take the time to post photos, experiences, videos, etc. so that we can all catch a glimpse of things we might not hear about or see otherwise.  For instance, I would love to see a time lapse video of the conversion of the Broad Street as it transforms into the center point of many of the happenings of the race (don't know if something like that exists, but it would be cool).  Anyway, if you have anything good, bad, or indifferent regarding the UCI - post away!  Looking forward to seeing everyone's posts!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived