Downtown Community Garden

FLheat

MEETING TODAY

Date: Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 5:30pm - 6:30pm

Where: Urban Think on Central next to HUE

What: A community engagement meeting and info session. Learn more about the garden project, partner with the team, and help support local food. A proposal has been made to convert the vacant lot next to Panera on Eola Drive into a Community Garden.

http://urbanrethink....20MEETING-1.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Fresh, local produce, sustainable, etc" great idea, preferably organic (but ok I can work with that).

Any of the following: GM; Syngenta; Monsanto, are deal breakers and I will no longer eat at HUE now that I know they're okay with putting that garbage on the menu.

• 1 year later...

On topic of Community/Urban Gardens, check out this house in College Park and its battle with City Hall.

Personally, I'm fine with what they've done. They've built and maintain a garden in their front yard that resembles edible landscaping. It's managed well and is decorative. Imagine a whole street like this? Definitely an HGTV concept. With pots, decorative pathway and any other tasteful, simple sidewalk boundary, it's an acceptable lawn in an age of increased awareness of sustainability and "green" living.

I hope it works out for the Helveston's.  I don't think the City is being as bad as the articles have portrayed them.  There's definitely a ring of irony because of all of the Greenworks stuff the mayor has been pushing, but he can't just change city code with the wave of his hand and the code enforcement office is doing their job.  If anything, it's good timing so that this gets fixed in the codes instead of slipping through and popping up when "Green" isn't the primary focus in city hall

I hope it works out for the Helveston's.  I don't think the City is being as bad as the articles have portrayed them.  There's definitely a ring of irony because of all of the Greenworks stuff the mayor has been pushing, but he can't just change city code with the wave of his hand and the code enforcement office is doing their job.  If anything, it's good timing so that this gets fixed in the codes instead of slipping through and popping up when "Green" isn't the primary focus in city hall

From what I could tell, once it was clear there was an issue, I thought City Hall tried to switch gears pretty quickly. I agree that they seem to be moving in the right direction as quickly as they can.

Archived