Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cityboi

Apple Inc repeats history

3 posts in this topic

During the time when Apple launched the Macintosh in 1984, there was a little company called Microsoft operated by Bill Gates. Apple was focused on selling its OS system on its own hardware. Microsoft on the other hand decided it was more profitable selling its platform system to all the other computer brands instead of developing its own computer. This decision contributed to the success of Microsoft and PC brands while Apple only served a limited market. Apple made a mistake not licensing its OS platform to PCs. Once Apple realized it could not compete with Microsoft and the PC companies in the 1990s, the company decided to focus on things like Ipods and Ipads where there was hardly any competition. Apple decided it wanted to get into the phone business and combine cellphone technology with computer applications (smart phone). The Iphone became an instant success and other companies wanted a share in the smart phone market. Once again Apple backed itself into a corner by focusing on hardware. Apple thought it was smart to have an exclusive contract with AT&T. Google on the other hand thought like Microsoft 30 years ago. Instead of Google developing its own phone to compete head on with Apple, Google decided to acquire a smart phone platform called Android which could be used on different phones from different cellphone companies. AT&T only has 25% of the cellphone market which leaves the door open for Google Android to take the other 75% of the cellphone market. Apple did recently sign a contract with Verizon but in the end it may be too late for Apple. While Apple is charging $200 plus for its IPhone, You can get a phone with the Android system for under $100 after contract upgrade specials and rebates. In some cases like with T-Mobile, you get the phone for free on web specials. Android is now outselling Apple so once again Apple may find itself only serving a limited market.

Here is a list of some of Apple's overall biggest mistakes.

- Overpricing the Macintosh

- Ignoring Computer Games

- Allowing Macintosh Cloning

- Censoring the iPhone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


IMO the only viable mistake on your list is their decision to allow Macintosh cloning. The Mac isn't overpriced, they're simply charging a fair price for a very very high quality product. We're spoiled by the cheap Windows machines of today, but there is absolutely no comparison in quality and reliability between the two.

Apple is also not ignoring computer games, the market simply ignored the Mac so you have it backwards. Take a look at gaming on the iOS platform...it's booming. I have a Mac at home that I play TF2 on quite a bit...and that's definitely a traditionally Windows game.

Censoring the iPhone was actually probably one of their better decisions. It allows for high quality apps in their app store when compared to the crap and malware laden stuff in the Android Marketplace. :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IMO the only viable mistake on your list is their decision to allow Macintosh cloning. The Mac isn't overpriced, they're simply charging a fair price for a very very high quality product. We're spoiled by the cheap Windows machines of today, but there is absolutely no comparison in quality and reliability between the two.

Apple is also not ignoring computer games, the market simply ignored the Mac so you have it backwards. Take a look at gaming on the iOS platform...it's booming. I have a Mac at home that I play TF2 on quite a bit...and that's definitely a traditionally Windows game.

Censoring the iPhone was actually probably one of their better decisions. It allows for high quality apps in their app store when compared to the crap and malware laden stuff in the Android Marketplace. :whistling:

Then the problem was marketing when it came to Apple Computers. The average consumer didn't realize that Apple had high quality machines, so they purchased lower price PCs. Lower priced PCs served the needs for the average consumer. On top of that most of the world operates on Windows compatible computers. There were more Windows compatible software. Mac OS is not the mainstream. That is a major factor. As far as Apple computers, there is one major growth sector. Graphic design and multi-media industries. Macs have always been expensive. I remember when I was in college in the late 1990s, it was required that we purchase our own macs for architectural studio. The whole power mac package with software was over $3,000. One thing I will say about Macs is that they are more user friendly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.