Another Building Boom for Statesboro: 2,530 new multi-family bedrooms underway

andremurra

Statesboro seems to be bouncing back for some industry sectors - particularly multi-family construction as four major projects are now underway. One project is currently under construction, while three others are slated to begin construction in 2012. Hopefully these new projects will provide a multiplier effect for other industries to benefit as well. Several things have probably contributed to these new development - Georgia Southern University's explosive growth is definitely one obvious factor as the school has surpassed the 20,000 enrollment mark. Other local colleges have also surpasses previous enrollment records including East Georgia College which is currently building a new campus in Statesboro, as well as Ogeechee Technical College which is likely looking at major expansion soon as well (I understand they have broken their previous enrollment records).

The Forum - 780 bedrooms - is a luxury apartment complex by Boca-Raton based Parkland Development Corporation currently under construction in on Old Register Road. The complex will feature 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, and 4/4 bedroom/bathroom layouts. This complex is obviously geared towards students and is expected to open in Summer 2012.

I don't know much about The Monarch Douglas - 450 bedrooms, except that the name is very strange in my opinion.

The Varsity Lodge - 500 bedrooms - sounds exciting to me because they will be demolishing a worn-down complex with the same name and rebuilding new 4-story units in the same location. Out with the old and in with the new. The current blighted property was foreclosed for good reason considering its terrible dis-repaired conditions. Personally, I think the location is the residences is a bit odd and would rather it be used for something else as its off the beaten path, but for the sake of density, I can complain.

Aspen Heights - 800 bedrooms - sounds like its going to be a hott sprawled out mess, and future blight property from the layout as I understand it. I have not looked into this property (and I will later) but it seems like a terrible design just considering its dimensions. From what I understand there will be 213 separate buildings consisting of 2, 3, and 4 bedroom units - ughh.

Other developments for Statesboro include a new Hampton Inn locating in the Market District. Some leaders are trying to create a TAD near the interstate for a new industrial park. There seems to be some undisclosed major development occurring on one of the already-congested highways. Georgia Southern is also getting a New York Pizzaria - Im not sure if that is a generic working name or the actual name of the eatery.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived