"Hollywood East's" Best Productions?

PghUSA

With Val Kilmer and Freddie Prinze Jr. in town to film a new blockbuster, which flicks were Pittsburgh's best?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. With Val Kilmer and Freddie Prinze Jr. in town to film a new blockbuster, which flicks were Pittsburgh's best?

• Silence of the Lambs (the courthouse was S&S Hall)
    • Flashdance (Pittsburgh's Rocky)
    • Dogma (that was the Pittsburgh Airport and E. Lib Church)
    • Robocop (yes flimed in Pittsburgh)
    • Striking Distance (with Bruce Willis as a Pittsburgh Cop)
    • Living Dead Triology (Night of, Dawn of, Day of)
    • Deer Hunter
    • Wonderboys
    • Gung Ho
    • Mothman Prophecies

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bread My Sweet, Lorenzos Oil, Milk Money and Dominic and Eugene werent the hugest movies, I know they were all filmed in Pittsburgh (click the link and see;)) I left out Hoffa too I loved Hoffa, and also that movie with James Woods playing McCarthy era politicos, many many movies, but lets vote folks, maybe I am biased but I think those 10 were the best to represent our town with maybe one or two exceptions

I've only seen Silence of the Lambs and Robocop - dunno about the others.

u need to take a trip to blockbuster, seriously man many of those on the list are mainstream movies TBS, TNT, WGN et. al. are always running them. There are a few like Lorenzo's Oil Ive never seen, and Dominic & Eugene and others, but the listed ones i picked because they show great shots of the city and they have won oscars (Flashdance, The Deer Hunter, and Silence of the Lambs all won) or are universally shown. (Dead Trilogy, night, dawn and day were the first "modern" horror movies!). You are missing out if you dont watch those 10 gems.

Also MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME . . .

THE FISH THAT SAVED PITTSBURGH (a 1979 Afro-& Tight shorts ALERT! production)

Incidentally that was Shaq's favorite movie as a kid! So there pop-culture Pittsburgh is the coolest place in the world after all lol.

• 1 year later...

Anyone know about this film "Dog Jack" its a new kids film set in Pittsburgh and filmed in Pittsburgh, Ohio and Illinois, about a civil war scout dog.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05222/551360.stm

Very promising film that joins the rest of Pittsburgh's film legacy, just couldn't find out through either IMDB or a google search which studio or production company is handling this other then the agent "DogJack Productions". Hope this is a feature film and not some straight to video quick buck thing. It still is a movie, but a story like this should be able to make it to the big screen. :)

Hey skyliner, thanks for sharing your Pittsburgh pride. I'm glad to see that the city has such a positive impact and perception around the country.

But I'm still frustrated about this "Dog Jack" movie, looks like it has the potential to be a great flick, I just hope it is not some B grade straight to DVD thing, not that theres anything wrong with that, but I'd like to see Pittsburgh on the big screen as much as possible, and this story is too good for a DVD factory. :)

• 1 month later...

Kevin, whoa I'm speechless.

Thanks a bunch for the links and inside info on the flick, it is very much appreciated!

Not everyday our board gets graced with the presence of a talent, thanks for stopping by and feel free to check out the board anytime, your insight is always welcomed, not just here on the Pennsylvania section but all regional sections and discussion rooms.

Good luck with that film, we will be rooting for you and it.

:)

Thanks a bunch for the links and inside info on the flick, it is very much appreciated!

Not everyday our board gets graced with the presence of a talent, thanks for stopping by and feel free to check out the board anytime, your insight is always welcomed, not just here on the Pennsylvania section but all regional sections and discussion rooms.

Pghusa or any other member???? Do you have any skyline pics of Pittsburgh? I've heard so many great things from forumers here in Proidence, Rhode Island about your skyline. I've never been and would love to get a preview. Thanks....

Pghusa or any other member???? Do you have any skyline pics of Pittsburgh? I've heard so many great things from forumers here in Proidence, Rhode Island about your skyline. I've never been and would love to get a preview. Thanks....

I'd be happy to oblige. :) Here are a couple I pulled off of the internet:

Driendl_Pittsburgh_Skyline_p64_large.jpg

400px-Pittsburgh_skyline_daytime.jpg

I'd be happy to oblige. :) Here are a couple I pulled off of the internet:

Driendl_Pittsburgh_Skyline_p64_large.jpg

400px-Pittsburgh_skyline_daytime.jpg

That's great!! I gotta check it out...By far, it 's one of the best in the Northeast.I've been to every major city in N.England, N.Y.,and Pa, but never Pittsburgh....What a great looking city.!! I'm a licensed mortgage officer in PA and have done quite a few loans in the area.Many people that I've talked to are very proud of the city when I've mentioned what I've heard. The homes are extremely affordable and the job market is pretty secure. It's definitely somewhere possibly on my horizon. It's got a great vibe...!!!Thanks..

That's great!! I gotta check it out...By far, it 's one of the best in the Northeast.I've been to every major city in N.England, N.Y.,and Pa, but never Pittsburgh....What a great looking city.!! I'm a licensed mortgage officer in PA and have done quite a few loans in the area.Many people that I've talked to are very proud of the city when I've mentioned what I've heard. The homes are extremely affordable and the job market is pretty secure. It's definitely somewhere possibly on my horizon. It's got a great vibe...!!!Thanks..

Thanks for the praise. we would be glad to have you here :)

Haha, it's no problem really. Thanks for the welcome.

By the way, the main production company is Edward T McDougal Films, Ed is the director of the film. Dog Jack isn't up on IMDb yet and I don't know why... it should in a month or too, or early 06.

I also wanna pass along these photo's from shoots in Gettysburg and Darlington Pennsylvania, thought you might enjoy a little.

~!<ev

• 3 weeks later...

A belated thank you Kevin, and keep us updated on the project's success ;)

No problem. :D

They just updated the Movie site, it's got more new photo's and such, a great look. I think that main image of the soldiers running up hill was filmed in PA. Hopefully a trailer soon, Sign up for the mailing deal and leave a comment requesting a trailer ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link Kevin.

Another "Hollywood east" (arguably ;) ) development:

I saw this in the PG the other day about a Canadien TV show currently filiming in Pittsburgh and sitting down with one of the world's leading Ufologists area native Stan Gordon with the local UFO and bigfoot lore.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05299/594843.stm

Seems the Canadians brought the snow with them. :P

Archived