Scott Towers highrise to be demolished?

gman430

While the deferred maintenance is a big culprit, the design is outdated and not safe too.

I feel for the residents, but if they can be found better housing elsewhere, I won't miss this building myself. These high-rise government projects were a bad idea from the start.

I wonder if the building on North Main (forget the name) across from the City Court building would have the same issues?

While the deferred maintenance is a big culprit, the design is outdated and not safe too.

I feel for the residents, but if they can be found better housing elsewhere, I won't miss this building myself. These high-rise government projects were a bad idea from the start.

I wonder if the building on North Main (forget the name) across from the City Court building would have the same issues?

Calhoun Towers is on North Main.

Edited by apaladin

Looking on the Gville County GIS website, there are three parcels totally about 6.5 acres that HUD owns. There is actually a second shorter 'tower' behind the one on Augusta St. I wonder is both buildings are being demo'ed?

Assuming the entire site is leveled, it offers a huge opportunity to create a new 'entrance' and 'extention' to the West End. It will be interesting to see what transpires.

^^^

Vicupstate is talking about Towers East. Matter of fact that building and the one beside the transit authority transfer center are outdated and unsafe themselves.

Same building, still Calhoun Towers to those of us that's been around a while, just like the Daniel Building is still the Daniel Building.

The responsibility for Scott Towers’ upkeep rests with the Greenville HA, who also owns the land, rather than with HUD. The director essentially admitted not properly maintaining the building, which would have made renovation more practical. The interior on the news looked nicer than expected, certainly not demolition-worthy. Whatever problems there are were preventable and/or repairable, with routine maintenance and planned phased-in renovations.

It’s difficult to imagine the complete cost for total demolition, removal, disposal, tenant relocation, new design and construction would be less than upgrading an existing building; especially if it had been done over the last several years.

Here is a Greensboro HA high rise for the elderly, built around the same period as Scott Towers, that has been renovated. Its facade is in better shape than Scott’s, but facades can be improved.

http://www.gha-nc.org/GHA%20Communities%204-09/gateway/gateway_directions.htm

Edited by hiker_nc

That building (Towers East) do have sprinklers. But its not really safe for the residents. The stairways are entirely to small, hate to hear about a fire, and the elevators are way to slow for the type of residents they have on the upper floors, people with health issues. Believe me I've visited people there. This building was probably good in its day but not now. And this incudes the Summit, the other building I mentioned earlier.

Elevators are off limits in a fire anyway---normally.

I was talking more on the medical emergencies side of things when I refereed to the elevators. Look, both buildings have the same issues and should not have been re-purposed this way. The companies that did this may have had good intentions. But it was bad business for the residents. Just my honest opinion.

• 6 months later...

That building (Towers East) do have sprinklers. But its not really safe for the residents. The stairways are entirely to small, hate to hear about a fire, and the elevators are way to slow for the type of residents they have on the upper floors, people with health issues. Believe me I've visited people there. This building was probably good in its day but not now. And this incudes the Summit, the other building I mentioned earlier.

Agreed.

With Scott Towers being demolished, the Greenville Summit residents also should be given the opportunity to relocate into other housing. At least the Greenville Summit is a historic building in a prime location for redevelopment. I don't see another need for a hotel downtown, but perhaps it could be converted into condos or apartments at market rates? I've never been inside, but looking in from the street, it probably has some potential but would need a lot of work to restore and update it.

• 1 year later...

GHA's Board decided today to move forward with McCormack Baron. They'll "enter into discussions" with the St. Louis company to redevelop Scott Towers. It's not final yet, but the company's $37 million proposal would build 197 new units at Scott Towers (38 affordable, the rest market rate) and 142 senior subsidized garden apartments.

Edited by gman430

GHA's Board decided today to move forward with McCormack Baron. They'll "enter into discussions" with the St. Louis company to redevelop Scott Towers. It's not final yet, but the company's $37 million proposal would build 197 new units at Scott Towers (38 affordable, the rest market rate) and 142 senior subsidized garden apartments.

How many does Scott currently have?

200 units I believe. Just read the article from the Greenville News and had no idea they were planning something like McBee Station on site. Woodside Mill and the nearby Garden Apartments are also included within the development plans. That's three separate potential mixed-use/renovated apartment developments just announced for the downtown area...nice. :)

fd3c9d858aa4b99ae7aef2b1d1c3726f_zpscffa

At first glance, the drawing looks like McBee Station in downtown Greenville, but it’s not.

The rendering is for Scott Tower and what a national developer has in mind for the now-vacant public housing project.

Greenville Housing Authority officials on Thursday said they have put the demolition of Scott Tower on hold while they begin negotiations with the St. Louis development firm McCormack Baron Salazar.

The firm’s $37 million tax credit-funded, mixed-income project would include the construction of 197 new apartments in four buildings at the Scott Tower site, 49 of which would be considered affordable housing.

Nearby Garden Apartments would be updated as well and 62 more subsidized units for seniors built, according to Housing Authority documents.

Conceptual drawings by Greenville architects McMillan Pazdan Smith show four-story brick facades with large windows, surface parking and outdoor green space. The corner of Augusta and Thurston streets could have a first-floor commercial space.

Ongoing negotiations with McCormack Baron also could involve a project at historic Woodside Mill in West Greenville. Herrera said the firm has partnered with Asheville-based Reliance Housing, who had previously proposed 300 apartments on the site, along with a dog park, fitness center and artist studios.

That plan fell through, but new tax credits now available for vacant buildings would “probably make that project much more credible than just a few months ago,” Herrera said.

Developers want to annex Woodside Mill into the city and build 138 affordable units for seniors in partnership with the Housing Authority, she said.

Edited by gman430

I never thought of McBee Station after first seeing the image posted above. It primarily resembles the bland backsides of the apartment buildings facing East Broad Street, in my opinion, although the drawing indicates a few additional subtle architectural details. The comparison ends there without sizable grocery and office supply stores, restaurants, shops, condos, or even covered parking. The most significant difference between McBee Station and Scott Towers will likely be the net worth (value) of the tenants. I am hopeful this change will positively affect the city's economy by adding people who spend their own money locally and don't survive primarily on taxpayer subsidies.