Scott Towers highrise to be demolished?

gman430

5 hours ago, vicupstate said:

If it was approved that long ago, it has to go back thru, I believe. 

Unless they got a Vested Rights extension.

And they technically have until end of business tomorrow to ask for it unless they already applied for  building permit.

Edited by ausrutherford

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Wow, that is HIDEOUS!:shok: Would've been better to leave Scott Towers.  

Missed opportunity to connect the relocated University Ridge to Dunbar. Was that ever even considered?

And last time I was in Greenville, I noticed that Haynie Sirrine seems slowly to be disappearing. Or is something else going on there?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Scott was demolished as it was too expensive to renovate and upgrade to modern codes. DRB appears to not have approved new plans...

I thought it was approved by the DRB a few years ago. :dontknow: 

Edited by gman430

17 hours ago, cabelagent said:

Scott was demolished as it was too expensive to renovate and upgrade to modern codes. DRB appears to not have approved new plans...

This isn't totally accurate.  They actually sold the building at auction to a group that intended to do condos but then defaulted on the sale so they could enter in to a development agreement with Baron Salazar then that went belly up.

5 hours ago, btoy said:

This isn't totally accurate.  They actually sold the building at auction to a group that intended to do condos but then defaulted on the sale so they could enter in to a development agreement with Baron Salazar then that went belly up.

It's not totally inaccurate either....there were  expensive corrective situations hindering  the building to  continue functioning. Distinctly recall  a conversation with former city manager regarding its demise...was disappointed a high rise was going to be demolished.

And  this...

For decades, the building served low-income seniors. “About three years ago the housing authority became aware of some very significant structural problems with the building,” Cindi Herrera, the interim executive director for the Greenville Housing Authority, said. The Greenville Housing Authority made the decision last year to demolish the building after multiple studies determined the repair costs to bring the structure up to current building code requirements would be prohibitive. Scott Towers lacked sprinklers, the elevators were not pressurized, and numerous structural and safety issues persisted. Meanwhile, property value estimates for the site plus the building were $775,000, but rose to $2 million with the building gone, she said.

Rehab costs were estimated at more than $30 million, while demolition costs totaled $1.3 million, Herrera said. Agency officials blamed years of deferred maintenance, dwindling federal funds for public housing and changing building codes.

Edited by cabelagent

I think your missing the point.  Those issues were known and yet developers were still interested in buying the building and convert it to condos or high end apartments.  Their estimates were way higher that it was going to actually take to address those issues and they entered in to a contract following the auction to sell the facility to a group that was going to renovate it and then the Barron Salazar deal came along.  You said it was too expensive to renovate, my point being that their were parties that believed they could do it and were willing to try.

16 minutes ago, btoy said:

I think your missing the point.  Those issues were known and yet developers were still interested in buying the building and convert it to condos or high end apartments.  Their estimates were way higher that it was going to actually take to address those issues and they entered in to a contract following the auction to sell the facility to a group that was going to renovate it and then the Barron Salazar deal came along.  You said it was too expensive to renovate, my point being that their were parties that believed they could do it and were willing to try.

Whatever....nothing happened & it's gone anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...