World city rank chart.

Lee street bully

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure with the corporate growth as well as having one of the ten wealthiest zip codes in the nation, and other zip codes that are up near the top of the list, that soon Atlanta will move up into the Alpha world cities, up from Alpha-. I however do not see it moving into Alpha ++ World Cities anytime soon, considering that only New York City and London hold that spot. It seems more possible that Los Angeles and Tokyo would move into Alpha ++ before others do.

I am sure with the corporate growth as well as having one of the ten wealthiest zip codes in the nation, and other zip codes that are up near the top of the list, that soon Atlanta will move up into the Alpha world cities, up from Alpha-. I however do not see it moving into Alpha ++ World Cities anytime soon, considering that only New York City and London hold that spot. It seems more possible that Los Angeles and Tokyo would move into Alpha ++ before others do.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Atlanta's growth is tremendous but its still quite a bit behind New York and Tokyo as far as economy. For me, I would be excited to see a southern US city rank among Alpha+ and Alpha++ world cities. But I'm surprised that Tokyo and Hong Kong are not already Alpha++ :huh:

Do you have any idea what they mean by "High Sufficiency", and "Sufficiency?" I Would love to see a Southeastern U.S. city make it into Alpha or Alpha +, but it seems there is a lot of competition in the Alpha + cities to move up a notch to Alpha ++. I am amazed at how fast Charlotte has zipped through the Gamma cities, way to go. Now if we can just punch it up a couple levels in the Alpha cities, I think I can settle with that. Atlanta and Miami have always been the powerhorses of the Southeast, but if things continue at the pace they are going, Charlotte may end up becoming the third largest metropolis in the Southeast, and as the nations second center of banking which counts a lot in the world rankings, Atlanta and Miami may just welcome Charlotte into the Alpha world cities. So that will be just fine. Charlotte is trying way to hard to be what it already is: the second largest banking center in the United Sates, plenty of Fortune Corporations, a great light-rail system that is constantly expanding. So I see at least Atlanta and Charlotte with a bright future ahead. As for Miami, you just never know. Right now they have so many empty condo towers, it is staggering. Another important thing, we should support our Southeastern Major World Cities, in the progress they make, and not let the jealousy factor set in. The last thing we need is one Southeastern city bashing another. So if we exclude Florida, Atlanta and Charlotte certainly dominate the Southeastern United States. So way to go Atlanta and Charlotte!! BTW many of us down here in Atlanta call Charlotte our "little sister", but she has grown up into an adult now, and they say Atlanta is the "Crown Jewel of the South," and now I guess Charlotte is the "Queen of the South"

Do you have any idea what they mean by "High Sufficiency", and "Sufficiency?" I Would love to see a Southeastern U.S. city make it into Alpha or Alpha +, but it seems there is a lot of competition in the Alpha + cities to move up a notch to Alpha ++. I am amazed at how fast Charlotte has zipped through the Gamma cities, way to go. Now if we can just punch it up a couple levels in the Alpha cities, I think I can settle with that. Atlanta and Miami have always been the powerhorses of the Southeast, but if things continue at the pace they are going, Charlotte may end up becoming the third largest metropolis in the Southeast, and as the nations second center of banking which counts a lot in the world rankings, Atlanta and Miami may just welcome Charlotte into the Alpha world cities. So that will be just fine. Charlotte is trying way to hard to be what it already is: the second largest banking center in the United Sates, plenty of Fortune Corporations, a great light-rail system that is constantly expanding. So I see at least Atlanta and Charlotte with a bright future ahead. As for Miami, you just never know. Right now they have so many empty condo towers, it is staggering. Another important thing, we should support our Southeastern Major World Cities, in the progress they make, and not let the jealousy factor set in. The last thing we need is one Southeastern city bashing another. So if we exclude Florida, Atlanta and Charlotte certainly dominate the Southeastern United States. So way to go Atlanta and Charlotte!! BTW many of us down here in Atlanta call Charlotte our "little sister", but she has grown up into an adult now, and they say Atlanta is the "Crown Jewel of the South," and now I guess Charlotte is the "Queen of the South"

I DEFINITELY agree with the bolded, as well as the rest of your post :good: . After seeing cities like Richmond VA, Omaha NE, Birmingham AL, Rochester NY and Memphis, I was actually hoping to see my city(Greensboro) on the list, but I didn't see it. I wasnt expecting it to be too high, but if it was ranked as Sufficient, I would've been VERY happy about that. But when I saw Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta and Miami rankings I was thrilled! So I'm happy overall, epically for the fact that TWO North Carolina cities are on the chart. And to answer your question about the the rankings, I'm really not sure what they mean by Sufficiency and High Sufficiency. I think they just mean that those cities are just strong enough to be acknowledged by worldwide standards IMO.

Since Atlanta and Charlotte have female names, I think it would be a trip if many of these other cities had to say, "Ladies First, please let them pass through the line." Then we would be boosted up into the Alpha+ cities, j/k, but you can always dream!!

• 5 months later...

Great to see Charlotte move up on the list. As far as cities that due well in the Southeast, there is also Tampa Bay and Orlando that do well and you can't sleep on Nashville and Richmond.

Great to see Charlotte move up on the list. As far as cities that due well in the Southeast, there is also Tampa Bay and Orlando that do well and you can't sleep on Nashville and Richmond.

Archived