Lonely Planet Includes Orlando In Its Top 10 For 2012

spenser1058

Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel: top 10 cities for 2012

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/england/london/travel-tips-and-articles/76861

Orlando comes in at #9, and another tour guide discovers there's more to O-town than just Mickey and Harry:

"Most visitors will head for the theme parks but it’s worth poking around the city, too. Keep an eye on the boho ‘Milk District’, a neighbourhood on the rise with its motley crew of eateries, bars serving microbrews, bookshops and tattoo parlours, just a short drive east of downtown. Orlando, hip? Who knew?"

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I thought that was funny, too. It is hardly a district, rather a few bars/stores across the street from TG Lee. Lonely Planet should be sending tourists to Mills50, Thornton Park, or Ivanhoe. That said, Milk District sounds cool and if they establish Main Street District designation in the future, we may have another vibrant area in the city limits.

^I thought that was funny, too. It is hardly a district, rather a few bars/stores across the street from TG Lee. Lonely Planet should be sending tourists to Mills50, Thornton Park, or Ivanhoe. That said, Milk District sounds cool and if they establish Main Street District designation in the future, we may have another vibrant area in the city limits.

Since Bumby is a city street (no FDOT jurisdiction), they could easily return it to 2 lanes and make it more pedestrian-friendly (it's only 2 lanes anyway except the stretch between Colonial and the E/W). It's amazing how much potential Colonialtown has these days.

I think what they are trying to do is call out the future developing neighborhood before it really develops. Be cool before cool was cool, you know?

I do agree it is hardly the best Orlando has to offer, but I think it also might give a glimpse as to what people outside of Orlando are really looking for, which might be a bit more downtrodden than Orlando is used to. But at least they are starting to pay attention. Take what you can get.

That area is one of my favorite parts of town to envision redevelopment for. I wouldn't focus just on the strip mall that is a 'district ' - but rather "Bumby Milk" or something like that...

- On 50 it's where the setbacks start and the roads widens.

- Colonial Plaza would be an easy retrofit

- Great local establishments on Bumby - Pom Pom, Beefy King, Plaza Theater

- LYNX superstop already there and if it becomes a big enough activity center, it could warrant further eastward LYMMO expansion.

- Would extend the urban area as far as it can currently go (Airport).

Archived