GR Press moving

OneSweetWorld

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im hoping there new building is 20+ stories :)

Don't count on it. Find me a 20 story medical research/higher ed building and I may change my opinion.

That would be a really really really long skywalk, maybe 600 feet? Why can't people walk outside? Oh right, because they didn't put a door into the MSU Med School on the Michigan St or Division Ave side. doh.

http://maps.google.c...+49503&t=h&z=17

For those who would have rather seen this as a mixed use project, sorry but you are out of your minds. This parcel sits on an island disconnected from everything. However, put a campus on it and it then becomes a magnet for mixed use around it. You have your develpment pattern mindset upside down.

So to sum up, speaking of disconnected islands and properties in that vacinity being sat on and left vacant/going unused... I guess they might as well just dynamite Olds Manor now since this was probably the last best hope to solve the issue of no parking that is cited as the reason it can't be redeveloped. With GVSU taking care of the old A & P warehouse next to 131, this is the now the undisputed biggest eyesore to greet visitors to our fair city when they arrive downtown.

On the other hand, I guess we can always hope a miracle occurs and the Postal Service suddenly comes into a bunch of money and builds themselves a new facility out at the airport where it belongs.

So to sum up, speaking of disconnected islands and properties in that vacinity being sat on and left vacant/going unused... I guess they might as well just dynamite Olds Manor now since this was probably the last best hope to solve the issue of no parking that is cited as the reason it can't be redeveloped. With GVSU taking care of the old A & P warehouse next to 131, this is the now the undisputed biggest eyesore to greet visitors to our fair city when they arrive downtown.

On the other hand, I guess we can always hope a miracle occurs and the Postal Service suddenly comes into a bunch of money and builds themselves a new facility out at the airport where it belongs.

I believe we are not done with OM. There's been some sprucing-up done, and the ArtPrize color splashes are still present.

(has a PO box next door)

A message from Sinks:

My first column in REVUE Magazine appears this week, along with a feature on Drew Nelson, and my blog is well under way. Can you do me a big favor: Please sign up for email updates on my new website,
, and ask your Facebook friends/musicians to do the same. I need all the traffic I can get as this thing gets launched.

Disclosure: we're FB friends.

• 4 weeks later...

I was really hoping it'd be a full overhaul, not just a header and a new front page. The article layout is still exactly the same (and looks odd with the new header) and the same glitchy comments system is still exactly the same. (No matter how many times I tell it to remember me when I log in, it never remembers me.)

I was really hoping it'd be a full overhaul, not just a header and a new front page. The article layout is still exactly the same (and looks odd with the new header) and the same glitchy comments system is still exactly the same. (No matter how many times I tell it to remember me when I log in, it never remembers me.)

I don't understand what's so wrong with putting all the headlines on one homepage, like virtually every other news website there is. Like elcelc said, way way WAY too much scrolling. They fit what, ten headlines on one page? And much of the time, they're all just updates to the same story. That killing spree a few months ago? One had to scroll through three or four pages just to find a story on something else.

Considering they're phasing out their print editions and (probably) eventually going completely digital, I expected much more.

• 2 months later...

Well, it was said by someone smarter than I that good taste is only in the mouth.

The Michigan Avenue front on the post office is not "retro" -- it is classic 1962. Like it or not, there is a Madmen integrity to that front that I would not like to lose. As for the Press and federal buildings, well, the architects should have known better. There is absolutely no excuse for the latter, which was finished in 1972 but looks like 1965.

Ran across this architectural materials ad featuring the post office while looking for something else:

post-11660-0-65248000-1336574750_thumb.j

Archived