West Fulton Street

mhelm

Anyone know what's being built on West Fulton Street? They tore down the Dillenbecks Coffee building (1059 W. Fulton - across from Nawara Bros.) and are pouring something in it's place. Tear down & site work has been going on for the better part of 2 weeks.

Also, in what seems to have been an inevitable conclusion, Parkside Market finally went out of business about 2 weeks ago. They've completely cleared out the store - fixtures & all. As the building is completely stripped I wonder if there is already a plan for a replacement.

Just down the block at the Zoo they had the groundbreaking ceremony for the funicular last week (9/29). While I don't see much in the way of progress yet, it's scheduled to be up and running early next summer!

http://www.woodtv.co...-project-begins

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what's replacing Dillenbecks. The footers are really close to the sidewalk, and it looks like half the lot will be parking to the east of the building.

West Fulton has seen a lot of businesses close up in even the last year. KFC, MetroPCS, Fulton Pharmacy... Also, Dilly's and Clark have been abandoned for 5 years.

Parkside was never really a destination...nothing really distinguished it from other urban groceries. I felt like I was imposing on the employees when I was in there, so I went to Franks/BPPS for various things.

I go up and down Wealthy Street every day between Mary Free Bed and Fuller, and I keep hoping there can be a similar revival along West Fulton. Putt Putts and Ball Park Party Store put money into renovations, so there are those who seem to care, and plan on sticking around. I'd love a decent restaurant, rather than the college bars. West Fulton is very walkable from downtown and JBP.

• 2 weeks later...

Revival wont happen until that stubborn neighborhood association relents on their college housing phobia

Care to elaborate? Or provide a link so I can check it out myself?

The other thing that sort of baffles me is that curve that was put in that connects Seward to Lexington? Is that part of the GVSU renovations?

Edit:

Fulton Pharmacy closed Oct 11.

Care to elaborate? Or provide a link so I can check it out myself?

Might compare and contrast with Planning Commission agendas and minutes.

The other thing that sort of baffles me is that curve that was put in that connects Seward to Lexington? Is that part of the GVSU renovations?

The antennas from the cell tower building were relocated to the new cell tower that's in what would have been the centerline of Seward. That extension has been in the works for a while.

[insert comment here about the parallel grid network and curvilinear streets]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Since when did they take out the traffic light at Lexington/Fulton and what was the reasoning behind this?

When they opened the new Seward extension, sometime around November. Lexington south of Fulton dead-ends at the new Seward Ave extension (which goes from Fulton to Butterworth) and they "moved" the light to Seward and Fulton.

Didn't Lexington used to go through to Butterworth?

Yes. Now Seward curves around the existing building to where Lexington was, dead ending Lexington between Fulton and Watson, and goes by the Atek Medical Manufacturing plant to Butterworth. The master plan is to purchase the old rail right of way that Padnos now owns (which they currently use as a parking lot for their big salvage trucks and dumpsters) and continue Seward all the way to Straight Ave, where it will effectively feed into Wealthy. I think the idea is that Seward will be the main N-S urban "arterial" for the near west side, going all the way from Leonard to Wealthy.

• 5 months later...

Saw this on WOOD TV -

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/veto-seward-gvsu-development-idea-080912

Speculative demolition of 7 houses. The neighborhood has repeatedly fought development in that area (some very nice looking development I might add). Anyone else get that "good luck" feeling when they heard this?

Would love to see new development in that area. Very skeptical that anyone can make it through the west side gauntlet. ;)

Joe

Saw this on WOOD TV -

http://www.woodtv.co...ent-idea-080912

Speculative demolition of 7 houses. The neighborhood has repeatedly fought development in that area (some very nice looking development I might add). Anyone else get that "good luck" feeling when they heard this?

Would love to see new development in that area. Very skeptical that anyone can make it through the west side gauntlet. ;)

Joe

I do find humor in the contradictions (relative to the residents of this area, not to Joe and Veloise) between these two posts...

On Facebook, some West Side residents are decrying the closure of their last gas station (Fulton at 131) and stating that they need more economic development (and a new place to buy gas). It will be interesting to see the reaction to a new drive-through use.

Is there another possible outcome when you always fight new development while not supporting existing businesses?

129013569047075449.jpg

Yep, empty lot vs. attractive development- exact same location, 3 years later. Will be interesting to see if the westside once again puts the smackdown on development (though I could see fighting demolition until a project is in place). But still...

Joe

That was this project, right? So after 3 years, we went from a proposed building to an empty lot?

Here's hope that they can get something to go in there . . . SWAN has to get over their dream of 'remaining' a single family, owner-occupied wonderland.

There does seem to be some better news in the neighborhood:

- Old KFC being changed into a Tim Hortons

- Grand Slam Subs going into the old Metrol building at Seward & Lake MI Drive

- Rockford Construction starting work on their new HQ at the former Miller Products

Along with the new Subway, GVSU Business building & in-the-works Rylee's project it seems like the Westside is seeing some progress.

And good news that Ralph's will finally be going ahead with their rebuild on Leonard. I would've bet against it when they announced 2 years ago but it looks like work commences this fall. http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/08/west_side_grocer_ready_to_laun.html

That was this project, right? So after 3 years, we went from a proposed building to an empty lot?

Anyone able to find the comments regarding the denied proposal for the vacant lot across from the Y? If memory serves, the neighbors stated that they didn't want anything new built on that space because their children use it as a playground.

The quote feature on here seems to duplicate things.

Is there another place in the city where you have such NIMBYism for the sake of NIMBYism? Where the residents are so resistant to change? The West side never experienced the declines seen in other parts of the city, but if they keep fighting the influx of investment into the neighborhoods it will likely get left behind in the resurgence.

I'm shocked... and delighted. :) Let's polish off the original plans for that space. :)

Joe

Looking at the old thread, I remembered how much I really liked these plans (the last design). It's like having brownstones alongside downtown. It would probably be almost finished by now, if not already complete.

And to fantasize for a moment, because I know this scares the neighborhood: There are probably a couple other dilapidated blocks nearby where you could build similar projects. This part of town could actually be turning itself into something new for GR instead of staying stagnant.

• 2 months later...

So I noticed on today's City Commission agenda that the "Committee of the Whole" was to approve a new Area Specific Plan for "U to the Zoo".

http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Planning-Department/Documents/UtotheZooASP.pdf

The plan covers the area around all of the current DASH lots between Winter and Seward from Fulton to Jackson (a couple blocks south of Bridge), and all along the West Fulton business corridor to the zoo.

They seemed to have recognized that changes to the neighborhood are occuring and that the edges are going to need to increase in density to match the future expansion of GVSU and it's needs. They also emphasized the continued need for traditional style, mixed-use developments that address the street. And also the need for continued improvement to the bikeability and walkability of the business corridor.

One can hope that this will clear the way for reconsideration of some of the redevelopment in the area to increase the density and make things more walkable.

On an aside, the new deli/coffee shop at Lake Michigan Drive and Seward is progressing along. Not sure when they plan to open, but there have been many exterior improvements in the past 60-90 days.

On an aside, the new deli/coffee shop at Lake Michigan Drive and Seward is progressing along. Not sure when they plan to open, but there have been many exterior improvements in the past 60-90 days.

It's open and appears to have been for at least a week based on their facebook page.

Archived