OneC1TYNashville Mixed-Use Project | UC

smeagolsfree

I can think of a quite a few.

I honestly don't see the reasoning behind the constant griping about "boxes" or lack of height. It's honestly annoying scrolling through every thread and seeing the same comments. I don't know if you're venting, trolling or honestly think you need to repeat yourself over and over. 

Is it good to be a critic? Yes. About every project regardless of budget or location? No. 

Nashville is experiencing a boom that a lot of cities would be extremely jealous of...those larger and smaller than Nashville, but when it comes to land value, market rate value and potential tenants to drive away from the routine "fear of height, love of box", Nashville isn't there yet and is no where close. There's a reason why well know American architecture (skyscrapers in this case) are only found in 2, possibly 3 cities in the US. 

Want ridiculous height? Oil and banks. Until those come, nada. 

Nashville can focus on great urban design, neighborhood development and walk-ability. The Pearl District in Portland is what Nashville should model toward. Is the architecture there all short and boxy. Yes. Do you notice? No.  

I am not going to dignify this post with a response. It's uninformed and unwarranted.

Edited by Paramount747

I thought he made several good points.

The slam at me was uncalled for and as moderator you should have recognized it. Calling me a troll after 10 years of being on the forum was spiteful and uncalled for. As an architect he may resent my description of "boxes" but as one who has had family build some of the most  iconic structures in NYC (Including the Empire State building, the Chrysler Building, and the former WTC 1 and 2) and elsewhere, I expect more out of architecture than what we  are getting, the new MCC not withstanding.

If you are displeased with my commentary Kevin, feel free to ban me and close my account. I really don't care, but to allow someone to call me out is unfair. Had I called someone out, I would have been read the riot act. There are and have been double standards here for a long time.

I agree that the troll comment is inappropriate, but I don't think the rest of it is.

Everybody is entitled to their opinions. You, him, me. Disagreements are fine, but please keep it civil. That includes name calling. And that applies to everyone.

It's Friday and it's nice outside. Let's go outside and forget about our troubles.

If you are displeased with my commentary Kevin, feel free to ban me and close my account. I really don't care, but to allow someone to call me out is unfair. Had I called someone out, I would have been read the riot act. There are and have been double standards here for a long time.

You certainly have a flair for the dramatic my friend!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

When arkitekte apologizes I'll consider this matter closed. Until then, I am offering no more opinions, critique's  essays, questions, or commentary at all. I will only post news I hear about East Nashville and the CBD.

Arkitekte don't like my posts if you are not going to apologize for the troll comment. Please unlike the post.

He said :   " I don't know if you're venting, trolling or honestly think you need to repeat yourself over and over. "

If you can't stand heat something something something.

Calm down John. You don't dictate the opinions others may have. Further, at no point did he call you a troll. You went on a tirade and he called you on it. Can we move on like sensible adults?

Ummm, he used the word troll......

No worries, just drop it. Arkitekte is not going to apologize and I am over it. No worries. I may have offended him because he is an architect as I understand, and my standards for architecture may be a bit too high. I get frustrated with so much architecture lacking imagination. It seems everything comes down to budget and price, and after awhile that gets old. I guess I am old school. If it is not a masterpiece , don't build it. I guess I appreciate that countries in Europe most of the time do not settle for boxes. We have all seen architecture in the 5-12 story range that can be beautiful without resembling a box.

Thats is. Drop anymore discussion on it.

...my standards for architecture may be a bit too high. I get frustrated with so much architecture lacking imagination. It seems everything comes down to budget and price, and after awhile that gets old. I guess I am old school. If it is not a masterpiece , don't build it. I guess I appreciate that countries in Europe most of the time do not settle for boxes. We have all seen architecture in the 5-12 story range that can be beautiful without resembling a box.

We do need to raise up our standards, absolutely. I wish we had 1890s-level standards, where almost every piece of architecture was a work of art. How we ever descended to the level where demolishing such gems en masse was acceptable in the name of revitalization, I simply cannot fathom. :dontknow:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...