OneC1TYNashville Mixed-Use Project | UC

smeagolsfree

• 2 months later...

4 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Fish in the lakes would eat mosquito larvae, eh?

The big risk factor for mosquitoes is open containers like buckets and tires, puddles, little pools too small to support fish and tadpoles.  Most small fish eat mosquito larvae in preference to all other foods so a pool is actually luring them to their deaths.

I don't understand this place. Sidewalks just end in grass and don't connect well. I think the same people who designed this must be the same people who put the greenway inside the Sounds Stadium. The lake has a fountain, but it is not enough for the size of the lake to keep the water aerated. The roads/streets in the development are narrow without correct curbs, etc. Not sure if there is any place for bikes. It feels like the easy common sense "details" were overlooked 

The best things are the terrace next to the office building and the steel ball with the water. The stage is pretty cool

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

I don't understand this place. Sidewalks just end in grass and don't connect well. I think the same people who designed this must be the same people who put the greenway inside the Sounds Stadium. The lake has a fountain, but it is not enough for the size of the lake to keep the water aerated. The roads/streets in the development are narrow without correct curbs, etc. Not sure if there is any place for bikes. It feels like the easy common sense "details" were overlooked 

The best things are the terrace next to the office building and the steel ball with the water. The stage is pretty cool

It is an attractive development, but I agree that given how it is laid out it strikes me as an upper middle-class version of housing projects.

10 hours ago, LA_TN said:

I feel like this place is a perfect microcosm of Nashville in 2018. We know all the things we should be doing to allow the city to move on from our 1980 incarnation as a car-focused commuter repository and start melding into a real urban area, but we pursue them like a disembodied checklist. The only piece that gets engineered and planned to integrate into a bigger network is the roads.

Metro does a lot to push for mixed-used developments, which is great. They invested in a great complete street for the 28th connector, which opens up the possibility of actual pedestrian and bike traffic to and from the busy and pleasant Centennial Park area. Also great. But instead of laying this out in any way that would make that an attractive option, it's set up where you have to double back and go a quarter mile out of your way and use the winding vehicle entry drive to walk/bike anywhere. This property is 500 feet from the Centennial dog park according to google maps, but you have to walk more like 2,500 feet from the residential building along the provided sidewalks to get there. That matters. That, along with the way the buildings address Charlotte (spoiler: they don't), is a clear revealed assumption that people will get in and out of this place predominately by car, now and forever.

image.thumb.png.c4cd08e3cc53e458b4497fad68f4e463.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Any word on what's going on with the Element hotel here?  WW reported that it should (finally) start in July buy it doesn't seem like that's happened.  I know they're aggressively advertising the next office building in hopes of starting that soon.  It seems like this is taking forever to build out, but maybe we've just been spoiled by other multi-site developments like Capitol View and Nashville Yards that seem move very quickly.

Edited by bmkTN

• 6 months later...

Been on it for a while. I think the build out of Capitol View and Nashville Yards not to mention the other office towers have definitely taken some of the air out of this project. The next piece was to have been the Element Hotel and that timeline has been pushed back several times now.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2019 at 7:19 AM, smeagolsfree said:

Been on it for a while. I think the build out of Capitol View and Nashville Yards not to mention the other office towers have definitely taken some of the air out of this project. The next piece was to have been the Element Hotel and that timeline has been pushed back several times now.

Thank you. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On 7/10/2018 at 11:00 AM, AronG said:

That, along with the way the buildings address Charlotte (spoiler: they don't), is a clear revealed assumption that people will get in and out of this place predominately by car, now and forever. 

image.thumb.png.c4cd08e3cc53e458b4497fad68f4e463.png

With the hotel construction starting, even the excessively roundabout sidewalk (and its slightly shorter cousin that cut one corner) are now gone as of my commute this afternoon ... I hope to God that when they finish, they build a proper sidewalk connection to the 28th-31st connector bridge. They literally just need to build a small ramp/set of steps up and it would make walking over to the dog park, volleyball fields, and everything else 5 minutes faster. With the train tracks and I-440 as borders, One C1ty is isolated enough as it is.

• Like 4