More exciting projects slated for SoBro

smeagolsfree

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2011/11/3/giarratana_unveils_trio_of_proposed_skyscrapers

This is from William at the Nashville Post

Tony Giarratana has three new projects on the boards. One is the new hotel that has been in discussion here. The hotel is a 315 room 4 start hotel and as yet unnamed brand. This would be on the corner lot on 4th avenue across from the new Omni Hotel.

The next is a 395’ apartment building with around 273 units. This would be located on Third Avenue next to the Encore on the Cumberland River side. There would be 3 levels of below grade parking and a 10 story garage on the south side. The architect is Solomon Corwell & Buenz.

The last is a massive 700,000 square foot office building on Church St. called 5CST. This looks to be at least 40 stories with a 1000 car parking garage, a 6000 sq ft ball room and a 200 room 5 star hotel. It is unclear to what the height will be but I suspect that it would be in the neighborhood of 690’ to 740’ based on the comparison between it and the Fifth Third building. The architect is Adrian Smith, Gordon Gill out of Chicago.

The time table on all of these projects remain unclear, however I suspect it will be a long term plan, especially for the office tower.

Here is the link to the web site:

http://giarratana.com/

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like 5CST a lot. It's fun, unexpected and it looks like it will mature with a sort of modern dignity (not to mention the fact Nashville's core needs some imaginative buildings like this).

I love reading about these kinds of developments - some of which are certainly spurred by the MCC. I'm excited to see what the city becomes in the next decade.

Mr.Batiwalla's comments are not too encouraging. No other developer in Nashville has built three towers, rehabbed one (Bennie Dillon) and built the Beale Meade Harris Teeter project including two condo buildings, and an office building. Tony has built more than all of his naysayers.

Tony didn't renovate the Bennie Dillon, I think Post did that. Curiously, his only achievment related to the BD was buying it from Post and then selling it for much more than it was worth while he was promoting the Signature Tower. I know this because I was one of the many unlucky buyers. Given recent sales my unit is worth about $40,000 less than I paid him for it. Oh well, at least it's rented and I didn't buy one of his cumberland units. I hear those are now worth only about half of what he sold them for.

Tony and Post worked on the Bennie Dillon. That is why it is on his site. He had that partner information on the old site. Regardless, he built 3 towers in Nashville. Eakin Built 2. Welch built 1. Debartolo built 1. Fletcher built 1.

I get a bit peeved when people criticize Tony as much as they do. He had a small minority in May Town Center, and yet he is blamed for that failure if you will. Don't forget, Premier Parking has 19 lots and counting. He is the skyscraper king and the parking king.

He will get this done. Mark my words. Please keep the negativity to a minimum. People like Tony read this site regularly.

"Mark my words" ? I wasn't trying to do battle with anyone. I googled BD and Post after reading your post and found no mention of Tony in almost a half dozen articles written about Post's renovation, including info on the architect's website. Good info though about the details and complications that Post took on with this project though. I can understand why Tony would want to associate himself with our building. I guess I just found it odd that he'd include it on his list of accomplishments. As I've said, the only thing he really did was make a fortune selling the units as condos right before the bust. Can't fault him for that I guess.

As to the

Sorry, I'm obviously struggling with the new technology. What I was about to say was...as to the other 3 towers Tony built, it's my understanding that Novare in Atlanta basically lead the Viridian and Encore projects. I don't know whether that is true or not but both of those buildings look suspIciously like many of the other Novare projects I see on their website. That doesn't mean Tony doesn't deserve some credit for those projects I think it just suggests that maybe Novare deserves at least a footnote somewhere, especially we are going to keep score in the odd 1 point per tower fashion you have suggested is appropriate. What was Novare's role ? That would leave Tony with just the Cumberland to claim as 100% his own. As another poster noted I'm not sure that one would really justify a crown of any kind, skyscraper or otherwise.

Archived