Eco Downtown & Sterling Frisco (Formerly 555 Maple)

strmchsr77

Two new downtown housing projects are in the works. Both will be aimed at students and have internal parking structures. They are also in great locations and within walking distance to Dickson and the University.

Project Columbia will be located where the University Baptist Church's SAC building is currently located on the NW corner of Watson and Campbell. This building will have a 6 level parking structure surrounded by 137 unit housing complex. This is what I can tell from the plans (see link below). The 1-4 bedroom units will have close to 500 bedrooms total. (This complex may be closer to 200 units according to the Fayetteville Flyer). I do know that UBC has been looking to sell the SAC building and may have it under contract currently.

Project Canada will be located on the lot to the west of UBC on the corner of West and Lafayette. I believe there are a couple of older houses and a small apartment building currently there as well as a parking lot. This building will also an interior parking structure but will be larger with 183 proposed units

I'm having trouble posting links so here is the url from the City of Fayetteville Parks and Rec Agenda: http://www.fayettevi...ard-nov-7-2011/

Here is additional info from the Fayetteville Flyer: http://www.fayettevi...n-fayetteville/

I'd love to see this happen but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard a bit about one of the projects although the name is new to me. I knew at some point there was going to be something happening in that area near the Frisco Trail just south of Maple. Some people had questions about the city putting the trail so close to those apartments there. But the city had done the trail because the property owner had said they would be coming down for another development. But when the economy slumped it pushed the plans back. It will be interesting to hear more about this as things progress.

I've heard a bit about one of the projects although the name is new to me. I knew at some point there was going to be something happening in that area near the Frisco Trail just south of Maple. Some people had questions about the city putting the trail so close to those apartments there. But the city had done the trail because the property owner had said they would be coming down for another development. But when the economy slumped it pushed the plans back. It will be interesting to hear more about this as things progress.

These are smart projects if you ask me. Great location. They will do well, I predict!

M

• 4 weeks later...

More information is coming out about these two high density complexes in downtown Fayetteville. First of all the names are Eco Downtown, and 555 Maple (Maybe Rod can change the name of the topic for us). Each complex will be 5 stories and surround a 5 story parking garage. They will bring more than 1200 bedrooms to this area of town.

Of course the city has those stupid height limits of 4 stories or 56 feet which ever is lower in this area of downtown. (Fayetteville discourages sprawl but then puts ridiculous height restrictions on downtown buildings for you new comers who maybe reading). It's completely counterproductive! Hopefully a deal can be made so that these projects can go forward and still keep "the city" happy. Biggest concern is views of Old Main along Lafayette which I don't think will be hurt and the parking lots for UBC.

Here is a link to the article from the NWAOnline: http://www.nwaonline...wa-fayetteville

More information is coming out about these two high density complexes in downtown Fayetteville. First of all the names are Eco Downtown, and 555 Maple (Maybe Rod can change the name of the topic for us). Each complex will be 5 stories and surround a 5 story parking garage. They will bring more than 1200 bedrooms to this area of town.

Of course the city has those stupid height limits of 4 stories or 56 feet which ever is lower in this area of downtown. (Fayetteville discourages sprawl but then puts ridiculous height restrictions on downtown buildings for you new comers who maybe reading). It's completely counterproductive! Hopefully a deal can be made so that these projects can go forward and still keep "the city" happy. Biggest concern is views of Old Main along Lafayette which I don't think will be hurt and the parking lots for UBC.

Here is a link to the article from the NWAOnline: http://www.nwaonline...wa-fayetteville

Thanks for the update and I've changed the name of the topic. :)

This is great news and exactly the type of development that Fayetteville needs. It is infill and will create the density that makes public transit feasible. For the people wanting light rail this helps make it more likely to happen. I agree that the height restrictions are ridiculous and very overbearing. They are counterproductive to what the City Plan 2030 goals are. The city planners should work with the developers to make sure these projects move forward. The idea that nothing should ever block the view of Old Main doesn't make any sense at all- any structure built above ground level is going to block the view to some degree. That argument is used by those that want to stifle any progress in downtown Fayetteville and should not bw considered by city planners.

This is great news and exactly the type of development that Fayetteville needs. It is infill and will create the density that makes public transit feasible. For the people wanting light rail this helps make it more likely to happen. I agree that the height restrictions are ridiculous and very overbearing. They are counterproductive to what the City Plan 2030 goals are. The city planners should work with the developers to make sure these projects move forward. The idea that nothing should ever block the view of Old Main doesn't make any sense at all- any structure built above ground level is going to block the view to some degree. That argument is used by those that want to stifle any progress in downtown Fayetteville and should not bw considered by city planners.

It's the same in Little Rock and the state capitol. They blocked an office project that was only 5 stories tall due to possible obstruction of the views of the Capitol from downtown... I guess it's the same issues everywhere, haha! At any rate, I'm excited to hear that these projects actually seem to have some serious driving force behind them. I certainly hope they'll be successful, higher density student friendly living in that part of town could be great for downtown business and avoid another generic massive apartment project being built on the edges of town.

Yeah I think we all know there are special buildings in many communities. While it's great that they're recognized, I also think it's a bit silly that people take things to such extremes. Let's really push the button's for people in Fayetteville. Let's have someone that lives on the north side of Wilson Park say they want a big tree in the park cut down because they can't see Old Main from their home. :lol:

Yeah I think we all know there are special buildings in many communities. While it's great that they're recognized, I also think it's a bit silly that people take things to such extremes. Let's really push the button's for people in Fayetteville. Let's have someone that lives on the north side of Wilson Park say they want a big tree in the park cut down because they can't see Old Main from their home. :lol:

The absurdity of it all pisses me off at times, but then again, I have people who complain about what I do also. Some people are just ignorant and fight all change. These are good projects that make a lot of sense and should do well in the market here. Close in, Eco-friendly, with their own parking.....what more can you ask for?

Mark

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that it seems everyone here thinks this is a good idea. But of course with this being Fayetteville I guess we also shouldn't be surprised some are criticizing this project. I recently read a blog complaining about how the developers are hyping this project. (They apparently don't understand advertising very well.) They complain none of the people in the neighborhood were asked what they thought about this project (good ol' NIMBYism again). Then they dismiss the whole eco-friendly 'urban experience' as just a sham for rich people to move in and get rid of the riff-raff. In the second part of the post another person even admits the current place is a dump and the cockroaches were the inhabitants and humans the infestation. Yet bemoans the whole deal because none of the current residents will be able to afford living there anymore. Well yeah if you don't want to live in a dump expect to pay more..... This almost seems to be taking the whole 'occupy movement' to the extreme. Maybe we can start calling it the 'No one left behind movement'. No one's allowed to make any money till the poorest people have their share. Okay maybe I shouldn't be poking fun at the situation. I'm not saying there aren't problems with the system. But this thing just seems to have gotten out of control. But anyway back to the subject at hand. I haven't included a link to the blog post but if anyone's interested I can put it up if you want to take a look.

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that it seems everyone here thinks this is a good idea. But of course with this being Fayetteville I guess we also shouldn't be surprised some are criticizing this project. I recently read a blog complaining about how the developers are hyping this project. (They apparently don't understand advertising very well.) They complain none of the people in the neighborhood were asked what they thought about this project (good ol' NIMBYism again). Then they dismiss the whole eco-friendly 'urban experience' as just a sham for rich people to move in and get rid of the riff-raff. In the second part of the post another person even admits the current place is a dump and the cockroaches were the inhabitants and humans the infestation. Yet bemoans the whole deal because none of the current residents will be able to afford living there anymore. Well yeah if you don't want to live in a dump expect to pay more..... This almost seems to be taking the whole 'occupy movement' to the extreme. Maybe we can start calling it the 'No one left behind movement'. No one's allowed to make any money till the poorest people have their share. Okay maybe I shouldn't be poking fun at the situation. I'm not saying there aren't problems with the system. But this thing just seems to have gotten out of control. But anyway back to the subject at hand. I haven't included a link to the blog post but if anyone's interested I can put it up if you want to take a look.

Please do- I guess I haven't seen it on the ones I read. I have some pics of the sites that I'll post later- both complexes will fit into the area nicely.

I'd like to see renderings of these projects. I'm excited about what this means for downtown Fayetteville. More people living there is only going to be good for all the businesses downtown.

While I could understand someone who owns a small house in that area not wanting to deal with all the new residents, I have looked at redevelopment of the entire area as virtually inevitable now for a decade. Its been coming for a while now.

And yeah, that complaint article is awfully marxist-sounding.

I think Mr. Drake is missing the point that these are aimed at providing housing for students that are already lving in the area. The complexes will just make the housing more convenient to the university. I would think that overall they could help the traffic in that area by students being able to walk to classes instead of driving from outside the immediate area. He also seems to think that any redevelopment that isn't equal in economic value to what is already there is a negative- that makes no sense at all. Why would anyone invest money into a project if isn't going to turn a profit?

Anyway- here are some site photos that show the complexes will fit in and be an improvement to downtown. The first and third are of the Eco Downtown site which has a 7 story building directly to the south of it and a 5 story equivalent builidng directly to the north of it on higher ground. Height should not be an issue with this one. The second photo is the boarded up church that will be torn down for the 555 Maple project. There is also a small older apartment complex just visible to the right.DSC_0078.jpgDSC_0081.jpgDSC_0079.jpg

Cool pics. Thanks. Yeah I had forgotten that UBC itself is probably taller than this project is going to be. At least AS tall. That one in particular will fit right in. and the one on Maple will as an extension of the other one. Old Main sits up pretty darned high. I'm more irked by those power lines that are up there now, and wish the city would work on a solution that would relocate the power station that sits behind The Dickson so the whole network can be re-routed out around near the by-pass.

• 2 weeks later...

This project continues to move forward. The planning commission unanimously approved the first of the two high density residential complexes last night. 555 Maple was the first to come through and make it past the ridiculous height restrictions that are in place. The restrictions limit the height of buildings in this area of downtown to either 56 feet or 4 stories, whichever is shorter. The building will be 5 levels. According to the developers the 5th level was needed to help recoup the high price of land in the downtown area.

Article from NWAOnline: http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2011/dec/13/complex-plans-get-go-ahead/?news-arkansas-nwa-fayetteville

This project continues to move forward. The planning commission unanimously approved the first of the two high density residential complexes last night. 555 Maple was the first to come through and make it past the ridiculous height restrictions that are in place. The restrictions limit the height of buildings in this area of downtown to either 56 feet or 4 stories, whichever is shorter. The building will be 5 levels. According to the developers the 5th level was needed to help recoup the high price of land in the downtown area.

Article from NWAOnline: http://www.nwaonline...wa-fayetteville

That's great news for future students, Fayetteville businesses located downtown, and the general area around the university. Kudos to the planning commission for sticking to the plan/vision principles by granting the variance.

Article from NWAOnline: http://www.nwaonline...wa-fayetteville

Certainly agree with you. Just north of Eco Downtown is that big church and it's even uphill as well. Just glad the city seems to be working with them so far.

I think these are a great idea, I've always wondered why it wasn't done sooner (Underwood and Legacy would have been a smashing success if they would have considered student living instead of luxury condos).

But there are some things to think about.

Will construction on this property be occurring at the same time the city will be re-doing the Maple and Lafayette bridges (which are in a very bad need of renovation)?

Also, the area around the future site(s) is a gigantic traffic bottleneck. Try getting there from anywhere the west, north, or south. The stretch on Gregg from Prospect to Dickson is the most dangerous street in Fayetteville. A one-lane bridge, a simultaneous railroad and bike/walk path crossing with a black chain link fence that inhibits sight, blind intersections (that should be four-way stops) because of the Maple and Lafayette bridges. Wilson Ave. has been constructed to intentionally limit traffic. Try turning west onto Maple from Wilson during high traffic.

Walkability is a huge plus in that area, but people will still be driving to and from those apartments.

By the way, anyone remember what happen to the proposed plan to redo Gregg south of North Street? The idea was to increase accessibility to Dickson/Downtown from Gregg/North/Garland. Instead, the city laid down several speed bumps and put the bike trail where the new Gregg Ave. would have been.

I think these are a great idea, I've always wondered why it wasn't done sooner (Underwood and Legacy would have been a smashing success if they would have considered student living instead of luxury condos).

But there are some things to think about.

Will construction on this property be occurring at the same time the city will be re-doing the Maple and Lafayette bridges (which are in a very bad need of renovation)?

Also, the area around the future site(s) is a gigantic traffic bottleneck. Try getting there from anywhere the west, north, or south. The stretch on Gregg from Prospect to Dickson is the most dangerous street in Fayetteville. A one-lane bridge, a simultaneous railroad and bike/walk path crossing with a black chain link fence that inhibits sight, blind intersections (that should be four-way stops) because of the Maple and Lafayette bridges. Wilson Ave. has been constructed to intentionally limit traffic. Try turning west onto Maple from Wilson during high traffic.

Walkability is a huge plus in that area, but people will still be driving to and from those apartments.

By the way, anyone remember what happen to the proposed plan to redo Gregg south of North Street? The idea was to increase accessibility to Dickson/Downtown from Gregg/North/Garland. Instead, the city laid down several speed bumps and put the bike trail where the new Gregg Ave. would have been.

The Maple /Wilson intersection will have a traffic light and turn lanes paid for by the developers.

I think the redo of Gregg was fought so hard and became so expensive that it was put on the backburner. The residents around Wilson Park didn't want it coming through their neighborhood so it seems to have died The idea behind these developments is that the residents (mostly students) will be primarily pedestrian. They may own cars but will keep them parked in garage most ofthe time. Not sure about the bridge renovations- i thought theywere planned for this year but seemed to have been put off.

"Instead, the city laid down several speed bumps and put the bike trail where the new Gregg Ave. would have been."

Those speed bumps & medians are really ineffective...a large majority of traffic is still cut-through, with many of those speeding. Needs to either be a ban on through traffic or the roads and sidewalks should be upgraded.

• 4 weeks later...

Eco Downtown was approved by the Planning Commission. I got a bit of a chuckle out of reading an article about it in the newspaper. It stated residents can expect to see another new addition to the city's skyline. It almost makes it sounds like it's going to be some sort of decent sized mid-rise. Although this was approved by the Planning Commission not the City Council yet. But it would be surprising if the City Council doesn't approve this. There will of course be some NIMBYism, but this development really addresses a lot of things in the City Plan 2030. It's hard to imagine this not getting by the City Council.

Archived