Eco Downtown & Sterling Frisco (Formerly 555 Maple)

strmchsr77

Eco Downtown was approved by the Planning Commission. I got a bit of a chuckle out of reading an article about it in the newspaper. It stated residents can expect to see another new addition to the city's skyline. It almost makes it sounds like it's going to be some sort of decent sized mid-rise. Although this was approved by the Planning Commission not the City Council yet. But it would be surprising if the City Council doesn't approve this. There will of course be some NIMBYism, but this development really addresses a lot of things in the City Plan 2030. It's hard to imagine this not getting by the City Council.

Sounds like there was no opposition this time around so I agree that it should be clear saling.

Has anyone seen any renderings of what these buildings will look like? I meant to watch the meeting on tv but missed it- maybe it will run again.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like there was no opposition this time around so I agree that it should be clear saling.

Has anyone seen any renderings of what these buildings will look like? I meant to watch the meeting on tv but missed it- maybe it will run again.

I've also been very curious as to what these developments might look like. But I haven't been able to find any renderings anywhere. Somewhere I saw some sort of general outline but nothing really on what it would look like. If I understand correctly it sounds like Modus Studios who also did the Eco Modern Flats development will be involved. So maybe it might give us some sort of idea on what they might look like.

http://www.modusstudio.com/public/eco-modern-flats-multi-family-renovation/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know, when the downtown residential crash happened, meaning the several condo/apt projects that were planned were then scrapped, the university's population hadn't really entered the boom.

Seeing things like this make me wonder if we might see a resurrection of something like St. Charles Plaza down by the Post Office. Maybe changed and revised into a rental property instead of condos....

I agree, though. Those renderings are very nice. I'm excited.

Yes very nice renderings. I'm really looking forward to this development. I don't recall hearing anything about it but from the renderings it looks like there could be room for some retail space as well, especially on the West Ave side of the development. Then maybe someone could finally do something with that old gas station across the street. And I agree with you wmr, it would be interesting to see some sort of resurrection of the St Charles Plaza. It's really not too far away. Seems like it could very easily take advantage to it's proximity to the univeristy and Dickson St as well.

You know, when the downtown residential crash happened, meaning the several condo/apt projects that were planned were then scrapped, the university's population hadn't really entered the boom.

Seeing things like this make me wonder if we might see a resurrection of something like St. Charles Plaza down by the Post Office. Maybe changed and revised into a rental property instead of condos....

Actually, while just looking around on Modus Studio's website, I came across something called Collier Plaza and seems to be located around that same general area of the former St Charles Plaza idea.

http://www.modusstud.../collier-place/

An example of one of the renderings

11.21%20collier%20place-%20project%20plate%2018.jpg?pictureId=14006554&asGalleryImage=true

• 1 month later...

Construction continues on Sterling Frisco, which is now what 555 Maple is going to be called.

I also noticed that some fences had been set up in the parking lot of the old UBC SAC building. I assume that will be coming down soon too so they can start the other housing complex.

Construction continues on Sterling Frisco, which is now what 555 Maple is going to be called.

I also noticed that some fences had been set up in the parking lot of the old UBC SAC building. I assume that will be coming down soon too so they can start the other housing complex.

Interesting, I thought I had heard that 555 Maple was going to be called something else. Not sure where I heard otherwise, but it will be Sterling Frisco. I get the Frisco part. Not sure where the Sterling comes from though.

Archived