arcturus

Beer

thebeerqueer    199
11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Honestly I think the main taproom has lost it's luster lately. The crowd there, I should say. 

I agree with that statement. Some of the people that roll in there like they own the place or that its a daycare facility, they seriously detract from the experience. I tend to avoid, like the plague, certain days and certain times to minimize my exposure to that crowd so I can enjoy my time there. 

That being said, for me, there's nowhere closer with more consistent, well made beer than the main taproom at Founders. Also, as a mug club member it's hella' cheap for me to drink good beer there. 

localtalent    24
11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The beer they sell at a "high profit" in their taproom is a very tiny fraction of their sales every year. They've said that as well. They're not going to make a ton of money off of the Detroit one, it's just to have a Detroit presence

Let's go out on a limb and pretend that the taproom here serves 1000 pints of beer a day at $5 a pop, and Detroit will do the same. That's $1.825 Million a year figuring 365 days a year. Let's pretend they make 10% profit off of those sales, because most restaurants/bars make around 5 or 6%, but founders has very little overhead. That's $182,500 a year in profit...... that's peanuts when you have so many investors and owners to pay. $30,000 to you, $30,000 to you, $30,000 to you. 

Oh and here's a check for $1.5 Million for your portion of profits off our distribution sales in the state of Wisconsin last year. :) 

I believe your numbers are off...by a lot.

While your premise is true (this won't be a major driver of Founder's overall profit), the taprooms DO make money. And for anyone not named Founders/Bells/New Holland, they are a major component of profitably running a decent sized brewing operation.

GRDadof3    1830
8 hours ago, localtalent said:

I believe your numbers are off...by a lot.

While your premise is true (this won't be a major driver of Founder's overall profit), the taprooms DO make money. And for anyone not named Founders/Bells/New Holland, they are a major component of profitably running a decent sized brewing operation.

I was just mainly talking about Founders. Dave himself told me they don't make a ton of money off the taproom. I guess the definition of "ton" is subjective. :)

EastownLeo    140
15 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Harmony bougt the building from the subway franchisee so I assume they're leaving. 

Good to hear, It will be interesting, the talk of "beer garden" Makes me think they may be taking over the parking lot for a larger garden space, or removal of the building?

• Like 1

GRDadof3    1830
8 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Good to hear, It will be interesting, the talk of "beer garden" Makes me think they may be taking over the parking lot for a larger garden space, or removal of the building?

The application says "into the adjacent building" so it sounds like the subway building will stay. 

GR_Urbanist    415

Nice!

That is a major focal point of the district! They can certainly turn that lot into something awesome.

And no more obnoxious giant Subway sign on a stick making the area look cheap!

GRDadof3    1830

Here's the layout of the Harmony expansion. Part of the lot will be turned into outdoor seating, and the little triangle area between the building will be 3 - 4 season room with operable garage doors. 

Harmony Brewing Aerial.JPG

34552587333_0b390b412a_o.jpg

• Like 1

GR_Urbanist    415

Well I was hoping for something a bit more ambitious on the whole lot, because the dinky parking lot really is superfluous, but I'm likely thinking too big for their needs right now.

I am surprised, unless I'm missing something, that the two buildings dont look like they really are going to become one whole piece. The exterior walls of the two structures seem untouched in the plans.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

elcelc    48
27 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Well I was hoping for something a bit more ambitious on the whole lot, because the dinky parking lot really is superfluous, but I'm likely thinking too big for their needs right now.

I am surprised, unless I'm missing something, that the two buildings dont look like they really are going to become one whole piece. The exterior walls of the two structures seem untouched in the plans.

Looks like only the roof of the 3-4 season room "connects" the buildings.  Wow, tons of seating in the future!

GRDadof3    1830
33 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I like places that have different "rooms" of seating, each with a different feel. Makes it easier to have a conversation. 

Although I will say that the Subway space seems really divided up. 

EastownLeo    140
On 6/17/2017 at 1:36 PM, GRDadof3 said:

I like places that have different "rooms" of seating, each with a different feel. Makes it easier to have a conversation. 

Although I will say that the Subway space seems really divided up. 

They do need more seating, many people walk away when they find out the wait.  Harmony is not a place where you eat and run, its nice to sit and take your time.  With that said, the emphasized take out option is great because of the foot traffic that is always increasing in the neighborhood.  Eastown is slowly putting more focus on pedestrian traffic and this will only help. Gaslight did a good job by removing the traffic lights and there is talk about other changes to Eastown to help push the pedestrian friendly feel.

• Like 1

GRDadof3    1830

Rumor on DrinkGR's fb page that Short's is looking at opening in GR. Anyone hear anything? 

• Like 1

GVSUChris    133
7 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Rumor on DrinkGR's fb page that Short's is looking at opening in GR. Anyone hear anything? 

No word on that - but I was told today that Jolly Pumpkin is going in where Black Heron was. Anyone heard anything on THAT either? haha 

• Like 1

Pattmost20    112
57 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

No word on that - but I was told today that Jolly Pumpkin is going in where Black Heron was. Anyone heard anything on THAT either? haha 

That would make sense given that it would be a much lower investment. They would lose out on the whole patio concept, but I think it would be a good location for them.
Also rumor is that Revolution Brewing is looking at cities to build a brewpub in and GR is being considered.

• Like 2

thebeerqueer    199
On 7/27/2017 at 9:28 PM, GVSUChris said:

I've got a neighborhood event tonight, I'll ask around. I'm sure Walt isn't going to let that space sit empty for long. 

• Like 1