arcturus

Beer

I started a beer thread in the NE forums a few years ago, and just happened upon this thread.

Beer is in fact big tourism.

I have spent thousands of dollars making trips to places like Belgium (heading there again in 3 weeks) as well as copenhagen(Carlsburg etc...), Bremen(Becks etc...), Amsterdam(Amstel/Heineken etc...), London(all manner of english beers) and domestically everywhere I travel I seek out the local best. Be it Gritty's in Maine, Tequesta in Florida, 420 in Texas, etc.....

So one city I have on the list is GR mainly due to Founders. I had Hand of doom at the extreme beer feast Night of the barrels a few years back. and also breakfast stout amongst others. I'd definitely like to get out there some time to see the city and see the beer scene.

But I would not put too much int that poll. its clearly a regional publication.

Portlnd Oregon is beer city USA. #2 might be Denver

after that it gets dicey.

a fun map

http://popchartlab.com/products/breweries-of-the-united-states

Its not entirely accurate, but its pretty cool. it does not show brewpubs. and thats fine, but it does not show brewpubs that distribute in some cases either.

An example would be on Eastern Long island they have the not very good and just 2 year old Greenport Brewery, but do not show the Southampton Publick House. which has received the top award in brewing back in 1993 http://www.publick.com/articlemain.ihtml?ID=79

and yes, since I can buy their beers in CT they most certainly do distribute.

anyways. It also only shows 3 breweries in Hartford where I live. Not entirely accurate.

not to mention that poll was totally for homers voting up their own city. While GR deserves to be on any list, I am guesing mostly folks from GR saw that list and it might have leaked to Charlotte for some reason (they have no right being a beer city.

anyways...

back to the economic driver that is Beer.

CT has had a wine trail that attempts to garner tourism much like the Long Island wineries do. its not all that successful since we just do not have the quality....

Beer on the other hand we do have quality, and ever growing quantity and variation.

So some guy just 1-2 years ago started the CT Beer trail. http://ctbeertrail.net/page/breweries-1

and check the map on the bottom

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106088491648816639937.00043c3b5f41f13c4988e&ll=41.619549,-72.680054&spn=1.231955,2.69165&z=8&source=embed

its getting press and has caught on pretty well.

W Michigan should have the same.

not to mention I think the beginning of the non-sustainable part of the growth is on its way. In tiny CT alone we have 7 full scale breweries in production , but 8 more planning to open in the next year or so. I have been to their web sites and seen images of locations being renovated with huge shiny new tanks. Million dollar operations for the most part.

I hope just one of them can come out with some quality unique beers. I do know for sure though, that this local beer is good for the economy and for my belly!

I hope MI supports the breweries out there to make distribution cheaper and easier. you really do have some great brewers!

jdkacz    38

Thanks for posting the full article. It's a good read and nice to see GR is really seeing some positive highlights for its growing brewing community.

wmrharris    26

Bummer that you have to be a subscriber to read the 2nd page of that article.

Actually, all that was required was a basic sign-up (email, permission for them to send news to you, oh and I suppose a cookie or two). A great story, all the same.

fotoman311    50

That old firehouse is a beautiful spot to put a new brewery. I like that different neighborhoods are starting to get their beer on :shades:

A few preview photos. GRNow reports they are hoping to open in September. What a great space! I hope the beer is as good as the venue appears to be shaping up.

https://www.facebook...76404104&type=1

Also, Perrin Brewing Co has indicated on Facebook that they will announce their opening date very soon.

https://www.facebook...263969590374774

RegalTDP    268

Nice article about Osgood Brewing Company, set to open in downtown Grandville.  I hadn't heard about it until this article, but it seems like they've had a following on Facebook for a while.  No opening date has been announced, but the article implies they're planning their opening to roughly coincide with the completion of the Chicago Drive's reconstruction in the Spring.

Given prevailing trends, this is a great way to put some life back in downtown Grandville.  I particularly like their nod to local history with the name.  There's a great photo from 1904 of the original Osgood Tavern in the article.

Edited by RegalTDP

Amazed like many to find there is a thread on here called "Beer". Shameless plug for a "Bus Brew Crawl" event I aim on running twice a year at this rate, next one on May 18th. Find it on Facebook or if you're not on there at all, drop me a line for more info. The inaugural event was small but it proved the concept, we visited seven breweries and one pub using nothing but The Rapid from start to finish. Next one will be eight plus one.

GRDadof3    1837

Went and checked out GRBC for the soft opening yesterday. Besides the distinctive and almost overpowering smell of wood stain (I'm sure that will die down), it was good. The food was good, the beer was good, the atmosphere and the sweeping views of the arena, Fulton and Ionia are cool. Maybe I'm old and don't go to bars in the evening enough, but it was friggin loud! What's the point of having the music so loud you can't talk to your companions at your table?

jdkacz    38

Bar noise is my biggest complaint. I love Founders, but its a no go on weekends with music if I actually want to converse with the people I'm going with.

I walked past on Saturday night and there was a line. Maybe I will try on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

I believe Founders has taken measures against the noise and put panels on the ceiling. IIRC, It used to be much worse.  Sunday afternoon is a great time to go, I just wish they opened at 11am  :alc: .  it's surprisingly family friendly on Sunday afternoon.

GRDadof3    1837

Founders is expanding yet again (in addition to the addition they have going on right now). $26 Million, 52 jobs.

ledgerwm    1

I figure this is as good of a place as any to post a link to my West Michigan Brewery List - http://wmbizblog.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/its-spreading-beer-spill-in-west-michigan/ . I was getting frustrated with all the partial lists that were out there, and I wanted to consolidate into 1 solid list of breweries that are open, and that are planning to open in the West Michigan area.  I break down the list by region, and I also  add in my two cents as well.

Also since this list is going to be constantly updated, if you guys get word of any new developments or breweries in the area, please let me know either by commenting on here, or on the blog.  Since you guys are usually on top of development news I figured this would be a good place to start.  Thanks and let me know if I missed anything.

mpchicago    187

It's interesting that BOB's house of brews was one of the first "craft" brewers to emerge in town.  Very quietly, they have made their beer since 1997 with no fan fair, while the Grand Rapids craft brewing sence has taken off.  I haven't been there in years, and don't remember how the beer was, but glad they are moving the operation - front and center - on the first floor of the BOB.  My guess is the beer is just ok??

ledgerwm    1

Yeah it seems like restaurants were at the forefront of the brewing push.  Holland had an italian restaurant for a good number of years called Via Maria, which actually brewed their own beer.  The restaurant closed down in 2010, some bad financing deals, and they stopped brewing their own beer in 2009.

I haven't had the BOB beer for awhile as well, and somewhat interesting that they were not pushing it in their beer in their beer tent in the parking lot during ArtPrize.  Seems like a perfect opportunity to promote their beer with a captive audience.

GRDadof3    1837

It's interesting that BOB's house of brews was one of the first "craft" brewers to emerge in town.  Very quietly, they have made their beer since 1997 with no fan fair, while the Grand Rapids craft brewing sence has taken off.  I haven't been there in years, and don't remember how the beer was, but glad they are moving the operation - front and center - on the first floor of the BOB.  My guess is the beer is just ok??

Yeah, it's OK. I had some just a few months ago. You almost get the sense that they serve it just to say they have craft beers on tap.

carlsode    2

Yeah, it's OK. I had some just a few months ago. You almost get the sense that they serve it just to say they have craft beers on tap.

+1, compared to all the new breweries in GR, BOB is dead last on my list. They should hire a new brewmaster or rid themselves of that beer and serve a large assortment of GR only beer.

ledgerwm    1

Funny you mention that carlsode, per this GRBJ article "The building’s brewery is really a focal point of the entire expansion
project and not just the first phase. Its craft beers also are a key element of the second stage."  So looks like they are trying to stake their claim in the beer scene, and make a bigger push.  It will be interesting to see how this shakes out for them.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/76123-brewery-is-an-integral-piece-of-the-bob-expansion

Edited by ledgerwm

GRDadof3    1837

I wonder how many surface parking spaces Founders has gobbled up in the past 3 years?

This calls for a barrels per cubic foot study! I'll start. :)