arcturus

Beer

6 hours ago, mgreven said:

I would think management might not have helped either - we went when they opened on a Sunday because I wanted to try it and kid's ate free on Sundays when it opened.  My wife and I each got a salad because we didn't want anything too heavy and our kids got pizzas.  All three pizzas came out full size...we took home almost two pizzas.  We questioned the bill because it was so cheap ($20 or so for us all...)  Of course, we went back a few Sundays later.  The pizza size shrunk to kid-sized but still free.  That seemed more appropriate but still quite a deal.  Went back a couple months later and the kids eat free was done.  They said parents would have all their kids order and then just eat off of those meals while drinking beer.  Of course, those customers were not cool for doing that however it doesn't take too much restaurant sense to put safe guards in place to avoid losing too much on promotions.  (like one free kids meal with purchase of adult meal...which most places do).  The food and drink wasn't worth another trip.  BTW, when the bill was that cheap, we tipped a ton....  =)

They gave out full sized pizzas for free??? :rofl:  Part of me feels like they deserve to go out of business for such a boneheaded move. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, MJLO said:

Trust me, certain W. Michigan residents are artists at exploiting loop holes in restaurant promotions.

Classiest shade ever thrown. Kudos to you. 

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

Sounds interesting. Good luck guys!

I will be interested in seeing the plans and the specific location (on the property).   Could be a really nice setting.  That property borders the White Pine Trail but it seems like it is set on a pretty steep hill.   Might be able to attract a lot of the runners, cyclists, etc. that are on the trail if it is close enough.   Might be able to work with some organizations like LLS Team in Training or JDRF Ride to Cure to do some of their team rides/runs starting there.

Edited by Sparty97

7 hours ago, Sparty97 said:

I will be interested in seeing the plans and the specific location (on the property).   Could be a really nice setting.  That property borders the White Pine Trail but it seems like it is set on a pretty steep hill.   Might be able to attract a lot of the runners, cyclists, etc. that are on the trail if it is close enough.   Might be able to work with some organizations like LLS Team in Training or JDRF Ride to Cure to do some of their team rides/runs starting there.

Rockford Brewery and Brewery Vivant do a number of biking partnership events, like Fly to the Coq and Coq to the Fly on the White Pine Trail.  Elk Brewing is also pretty close to the WPT now and Vitale's has a park-n-bike lot right behind it. A lot of opportunities. I personally have had a run-in with one of the owners of this new place though and they will not be getting any of my money. :whistling: I also find it a really strange place for a restaurant/brewpub. If it were right on the Rogue across the road, that'd be another story.  It's mostly industrial users in that area now and a church where the Big Green Monster (old paper plant) used to be. The church is in a better spot than this place will be. 

https://goo.gl/maps/4VfgLgCRShB2

Oh wow, google streetview still has the big green monster (that's what the locals called it):

https://goo.gl/maps/y7fU7XrZEWB2

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Rockford Brewery and Brewery Vivant do a number of biking partnership events, like Fly to the Coq and Coq to the Fly on the White Pine Trail.  Elk Brewing is also pretty close to the WPT now and Vitale's has a park-n-bike lot right behind it. A lot of opportunities. I personally have had a run-in with one of the owners of this new place though and they will not be getting any of my money. :whistling: I also find it a really strange place for a restaurant/brewpub. If it were right on the Rogue across the road, that'd be another story.  It's mostly industrial users in that area now and a church where the Big Green Monster (old paper plant) used to be. The church is in a better spot than this place will be. 

https://goo.gl/maps/4VfgLgCRShB2

Oh wow, google streetview still has the big green monster (that's what the locals called it):

https://goo.gl/maps/y7fU7XrZEWB2

I grew up close to the location. Seems like a really odd spot. Kind of surprised zoning allows it. It’s slightly industrial, with a Church and light residential. Pretty odd placement. 

Joe

Not sure the reason but after 7 straight years of attending Founders Fest attendance was down, way down.   At least 20%.  I liked the new layout extending around Station 6 with the stage on the north end.   The good news was there was hardly a line at their class 3 booth for beers like CBS!

I didn't attend this year because I didn't like the bands that were playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

Not sure the reason but after 7 straight years of attending Founders Fest attendance was down, way down.   At least 20%.  I liked the new layout extending around Station 6 with the stage on the north end.   The good news was there was hardly a line at their class 3 booth for beers like CBS!

The lineup was less than stellar, it was 90 degrees with 99 % humidity and at least for me and most of my friends, its always the same day as GLBTQ+ Pride festival, so that's a non-starter. 

40 minutes ago, jdkacz said:

Wasn't it hot/humid? There's no shade where that is held. 

Cooler than the past 2 years with considerable cloudiness during the first few hours. 

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

When your popular brewery relocates to a larger building and is unprepared.

https://www.facebook.com/railtownbrewing/

See this all the time.

I'm glad they're having great success with  their new location but yeah, that's unfortunate. I have a coworker that lives out there and they were so excited for them to start serving food, I wouldn't be surprised if fans were just waiting  to flood into the new space. Also, their post from Friday seems to allude to 'parking challenges' way out there.  Maybe they should add a 'Mobility' department like GR?? 

9 hours ago, arcturus said:

When your popular brewery relocates to a larger building and is unprepared.

https://www.facebook.com/railtownbrewing/

See this all the time.

Wow, congrats on their success. There's not really much else out there in that area. I need to go check it out! :)  j/k

I also saw that the new patio at Harmony Brewing Co is open now. Anyone check it out yet? 

10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wow, congrats on their success. There's not really much else out there in that area. I need to go check it out! :)  j/k

I also saw that the new patio at Harmony Brewing Co is open now. Anyone check it out yet? 

I haven't been to check out the new patio yet, actually I haven't been to the Eastown location in at least year since the Westside location is so convenient.  The addition of pizza at the Westside location has been supremely tasty. 

32 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

I haven't been to check out the new patio yet, actually I haven't been to the Eastown location in at least year since the Westside location is so convenient.  The addition of pizza at the Westside location has been supremely tasty. 

Patio is nice, but because of sun can be hit or miss.  Late sun warms the place up. They usually close down the garage doors and throw on the AC but it takes a while to chill down.  It will be a better space in the spring and fall as temps drop.   One thing I have noticed is that they have not been opening up all the seating.  They usually close off the outdoor picnic tables during the dinner rush.  They are also slow to fill open large tables in the new section.  They have closed the "upper room" section and do not seem to be seating anyone there (used to be our favorite spot).  I am guessing they are having staffing issues, and that is one reason for not opening up all seating.  They have started to test pizza and beer delivery from their new back kitchen.   Overall its still a great spot, they just need to break in the new shoes.

15 hours ago, elcelc said:

Well this thread has been a little too quiet.  But now...

https://www.grbj.com/articles/91369-regions-first-brewery-co-op-on-tap

It sure has been a long time coming for High Five. I wish them all of the luck with their location but am concerned its suburban location would be a challenge. Either way, looking forward to checking it out. 

On 8/21/2018 at 9:15 AM, thebeerqueer said:

It sure has been a long time coming for High Five. I wish them all of the luck with their location but am concerned its suburban location would be a challenge. Either way, looking forward to checking it out. 

The 'burbs like beer too!  This area in particular is close to Switch, the upcoming Amazon warehouse, new hotels and best of all, plenty of current and planned single-family homes.  Bigger picture plans for the area are also very encouraging for biking. 

Plus only two other breweries within two miles.  Can't say that about downtown.

• Like 1

It looks very nice, although I wish there were a Chik-Fil-A, too. I hate having to go from the far North side all the way down to the far South side for it.

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Brewery Vivant is opening a second location / warehouse on Lake Eastbrook Boulevard / 29th Street:

https://mibiz.com/item/26146-brewery-vivant-to-open-second-grand-rapids-area-brewery-taproom

Joe

Just spoke with one of the employees at Vivant yesterday about this. He said it will be a place to try out a lot of stuff that doesn't necessarily fit the Vivant spectrum. He said the brewers want to do both some very traditional styles like Czech Pilsner and some more out there styles.