arcturus

Beer

It's more than a year off, but Siciliano's is planning a big homebrew event for Calder Plaza to coincide with the National Homebrewer's Association convention in 2014.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/76262-sicilianos-market-secures-downtowns-calder-plaza-for-national-big-brew-event

Edited by fotoman311

It's more than a year off, but Siciliano's is planning a big homebrew event for Calder Plaza to coincide with the National Homebrewer's Association convention in 2014.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/76262-sicilianos-market-secures-downtowns-calder-plaza-for-national-big-brew-event

Saturday, May 4th is this year.  I think the event is actually this year and it was confusing how they mentioned it along with the other event that's next year.

Is there any truth that Bells or New Holland will be the brewery announced on March 18?

My thought is that it might be New Holland.  Nothing to base this on other than NH advised they would be announcing a GR location about this time, and now DOMA is announcing a new brewrey on the 18th. I think NH would be a nice fit @ DOMA.  I haven't heard anything about Bells opening a branch in town.

My thought is that it might be New Holland.  Nothing to base this on other than NH advised they would be announcing a GR location about this time, and now DOMA is announcing a new brewrey on the 18th. I think NH would be a nice fit @ DOMA.  I haven't heard anything about Bells opening a branch in town.

Are we calling the Downtown Market DOMA?  Is it too late to vote that we don't call it that??

To me DOMA is the Defense of Marriage Act, not a nice association.

Edited by grandrollerz
  • Like 1

Are we calling the Downtown Market DOMA?  Is it too late to vote that we don't call it that??

To me DOMA is the Defense of Marriage Act, not a nice association.

AS FAR AS I KNOW, the board dropped the DOMA name due to "feedback" from the community. All of their communiques specifically say Downtown Market.

• Like 1

Don't know why but I think Bell's Brewery will be announced March 18th. They want to be apart of Beer City USA!

Edited by GR2010

Don't know why but I think Bell's Brewery will be announced March 18th. They want to be apart of Beer City USA!

Word in the craft beer community is a nada on that. But who knows.

I didn't realize that Founders expansion on the front was so big. They're getting rid of all the parking out front, adding in the beer garden with a metal and wood trellis over it, and completely expanding the building portion on the Northeast corner. The look of the old truck depot will be gone, but the taproom will be expanded into the area where the bathrooms are now (plus into the new addition), the bathrooms are being moved toward the door that now goes into the offices, and store is being expanded, and a banquet center is being added on the 2nd floor.

Nice!

I have some floorplans/elevations but I can't post them at this moment. Hopefully later.

I'm next to certain that the new Brewery is New Holland locating in Downtown Market. 

That would make the most sense. It's a pretty good sized space so it'd most likely be a bigger player in the market already. And I don't think it's Bell's. If you KNOW who it is, please don't divulge it on this site. Media outlets watch UP like a hawk for story ideas.

Thanks.

BTW, for those interested, here are elevations and site plans for Founders' expansion:

post-2672-0-31619900-1363020801_thumb.jp

post-2672-0-21851300-1363020822_thumb.jp

So has everyone here been to Grand Rapids Brewing Co? What do you think of their beer? (I won't tell you want I think)

So has everyone here been to Grand Rapids Brewing Co? What do you think of their beer? (I won't tell you want I think)

I've had 4 or 5 of their beers in my few visits and they were all excellent.  Slightly above to above average for craft beers, on par with some of the other excellent beers made here in GR.  Would need further testing for a more thorough conclusion. :)

I enjoyed the John Ball Brown and their stout, however I'd rank them below Brewery Vivant, Founders and Perrin. They in my opinion as in a great spot downtown will do great.

I enjoyed the John Ball Brown and their stout, however I'd rank them below Brewery Vivant, Founders and Perrin. They in my opinion as in a great spot downtown will do great.

I'd agree with that. I like Rosalynn Bliss as a person, but the beer falls flat. The Silver Foam is downright awful.

I did check out Rockford Brewing Company this past weekend. I had the Carriage House Ale. It was pretty good and the space (upstairs particularly) is way bigger than I thought it was. Dangerously close to the White Pine Trail. Thinking of setting up a group ride from Riverside Park up for a few beers and back, if anyone's interested (when the weather gets warmer).

• Like 1

Founders has wasted no time in ripping up their tiny front parking lot for the latest expansion.  The only parking lot left is a small one on the rear of their parcel.  Although it will probably take a year or two to grow into their current capacity (this is pure conjecture on my part, they did just add Texas and Florida to their footprint), after that they'll just have to buy out Lady Godiva's and keep expanding west. Then they could put a nice big purple neon Founders logo pointing north toward downtown. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoman311/8620002639/in/photostream

8620002639_4756524712_o.jpg

Edited by fotoman311

Pretty pictures. I just hope it doesn't become douchey like some other downtown bars that will remain unnamed. :)

45573_10151320519291237_2100195384_n.jpg

I will be there today at 3:00 and will report back to everyone what I find...

Two big holes in the ground.  That's what was there when I rode by about 3pm, as well.  They've started digging the foundation for the envelope building on the north end.  They already have the foundations in place for many of the supports for the trusses at the south end.  Maybe GRDad will have photos. It was pretty wet out at 3pm, though.